New to Farming

jasonbarron

Re: New to Farming

Post by jasonbarron »

I'd like to keep it as realistic as possible, I'm just surprised that there isn't a depot similar to the lime fill station where it can be purchased and bulk. I like the idea of hauling it in a trailer, though, just have to figure out which trailer fits the bill. So far all I've seen are the type with sides for transporting the harvest.
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

Yes usually most tippers will fill with lose lime, seed, manure etc. You could always check out the EDGE Buy Stations. They let you purchase anything, which is nice if you’re trying to set up animals but don’t have the crops yet
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

I keep hearing about "multifruit" on modded maps. A couple questions: are they essentially just re-skinned versions of existing fruits (potatoes re-skinned as carrots, for example), and do I need some kind of special multifruit harvester to collect them?
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

When I use the term multifruit I am talking about the silos that can hold everything. There are modded maps that have extra crops. Especially on pc, you will find more than what console has.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:24 pm When I use the term multifruit I am talking about the silos that can hold everything. There are modded maps that have extra crops. Especially on pc, you will find more than what console has.
Ok, thanks for the info. I'm eye balling Hazzard County and noticed (among other things) that it incorporated several different kind of fruit besides the vanilla. Also noticed that it really slowed the frame rates down which raised another technical question: do having herds of animals in your world effect performance, and for that matter does the Seasons mod effect performance itself?
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

Try not to put too much stuff all in one place as all mods will affect performance to some degree, that's why consoles have slot counts, as they are affected the worst, but as a rule, it will take a lot of mods to slow the game right down, if you were to put all your equipment all in one field you will notice a drop in framerate's as you drive up to that field. So if you spread your equipment out in your farmyard it should remain un-noticeable
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

j_maybury wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:58 pm Try not to put too much stuff all in one place as all mods will affect performance to some degree, that's why consoles have slot counts, as they are affected the worst, but as a rule, it will take a lot of mods to slow the game right down, if you were to put all your equipment all in one field you will notice a drop in framerate's as you drive up to that field. So if you spread your equipment out in your farmyard it should remain un-noticeable
Makes sense. That's why I was wondering about herds of animals, since I was kind of picturing having hundreds of cows/pigs/horses some day in any given field.
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

If you look at most modern maps you will notice that the sites for all the animals are scattered around the map, you will have to experiment with where you place them to find what is best for you.
Make a copy of your saved game and place it on your desktop then when you have things the way you would like them, then replace the saved game and go ahead with your plan.
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

j_maybury wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:46 pm If you look at most modern maps you will notice that the sites for all the animals are scattered around the map, you will have to experiment with where you place them to find what is best for you.
Make a copy of your saved game and place it on your desktop then when you have things the way you would like them, then replace the saved game and go ahead with your plan.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the tip.

I'm fixing to start Hazzard County and try Seasons out for the first time on it, but I can't seem to find a Georgia geo--any recommendations on what the next closest geo mod is?

Edit: speaking of Seasons, any recommendations for how many days you guys play each setting at?
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

South Carolina would be the nearest GEO to it.
But I would go for the USA midwest GEO.
Last edited by j_maybury on Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Illinois Farmer

Don't use the south, north Carolina, Ohio, eastern, Indiana, California, or Kansas geo they are all screwed up and not accurate. Only thing close enough that is accurate it's the midwest geo.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

Yes, I noticed that and amended my answer, I wish Giants would take his GEO's out!
Illinois Farmer

Oh gotcha I missed that when I posted. Sorry about that. They wouldn't be bad with an update in planting schedule and the ground temps.
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

Animals are different because if you have say 500 there are only usually 50 displayed. Depending on the xml file. I play 9 days at 5x speed depending on how big my farm is. And I’m pretty sure Hazard County has its own custom GEO but I’m not sure
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

I did a google map search on Hazzard County and got everywhere but.