New to Farming

jasonbarron

Re: New to Farming

Post by jasonbarron » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:30 am

Thanks for the advice on geos, guys. I'll try the midwest and see how that works. I finally got finished tweaking graphical setting to the point where it seems like Hazard County runs pretty smoothly (before it was like a slideshow). How many days are you all setting your seasons up for? I noticed the default was 9 but I'm wondering if that would leave you with too much down time on your hands.

jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:33 am

j_maybury wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:14 am
I did a google map search on Hazzard County and got everywhere but.
Farmer Klein vid introducing Hazzard County https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDImjwu ... 90&t=1578s

FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:49 am

Might be good at the start to run 3 or 6 days. I just find that when it’s time to cut grass sometimes the shorter seasons leave you not enough time, as rain is too unpredictable
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15
Facebook Page
Facebook Group
Join our Discord!

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins

jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:04 am

FarmCatJenkins wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:49 am
Might be good at the start to run 3 or 6 days. I just find that when it’s time to cut grass sometimes the shorter seasons leave you not enough time, as rain is too unpredictable
I thought more days equaled longer season stages? So the default of 9 would give you more time to perform chores, or am I mistaken?

FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:31 am

Just meaning if you don’t have much to do, three days is the way to go. But as you start buying more fields bump up to more days. Yes 9 day seasons would equally around 10 real days. 3 days would be the equivalent of a whole month
Facebook Page
Facebook Group
Join our Discord!

jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:30 am

FarmCatJenkins wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:31 am
Just meaning if you don’t have much to do, three days is the way to go. But as you start buying more fields bump up to more days. Yes 9 day seasons would equally around 10 real days. 3 days would be the equivalent of a whole month
So with a longer "season" you'd best be riding the horses and reclaiming fields and getting busy with the forestry angle? I had a look at the Hazzard County map and it sports tons of highly irregular fields with fences all around that made the NPC hired help just say "Nope, that's waaaay above our pay grade, hoss," lots of forestry and vast distances between fields and sell points, so extremely labor intensive. So labor intensive that it might take a few in-game years to actually start making any money, so no problem "filling out the time" so to speak.

FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:42 am

Yeah that's very true. And as far as hired workers. Make sure you give Courseplay a try. You can set a headland first. It's really helpful
Facebook Page
Facebook Group
Join our Discord!

jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:53 am

FarmCatJenkins wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:42 am
Yeah that's very true. And as far as hired workers. Make sure you give Courseplay a try. You can set a headland first. It's really helpful
I have courseplay installed, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use it on a complex field. It sails through fields with no obstacles, but the fields I want to work on have fencing right up to the edge of the field all the way around so the ai can't play its usual trick of driving past the field and looping around. Basically even with courseplay operating, the driver just crashes into the first fence it comes to and gets stuck

FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:27 am

jasonbarron wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:53 am
FarmCatJenkins wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:42 am
I have courseplay installed, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use it on a complex field. It sails through fields with no obstacles, but the fields I want to work on have fencing right up to the edge of the field all the way around so the ai can't play its usual trick of driving past the field and looping around. Basically even with courseplay operating, the driver just crashes into the first fence it comes to and gets stuck
Set a headland in the Course Generation screen and make sure it's set to run the headlands first
Facebook Page
Facebook Group
Join our Discord!

jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:33 am

I started doing that and it works a little better as far as not running into stuff and getting stuck, but the ai is a bit sloppy with their lines, leaving narrow bands of un-plowed dirt between all the courses, especially in corners/turns. Typically I'm pretty nitpicky when I'm doing it myself and make sure the coverage is absolutely 100% solid, but the ai seems incapable of doing it that well. As it stands right now, if I have to go back and re-plow all the narrow bands they missed, I might as well have just done it myself in the first place.

FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:23 am

Make sure in the tabs there is no horizontal offset or lane offset added in the mode specific tab, as I’ve seen it automatically doing that in the most recent build I downloaded (from like a week ago). As for the corners, if the field has square corners try setting the headland corners to turn instead of smooth, so they actually stop and turn. For unsquare fields, you might just have to go around the corners and finish them off. It is still a beta mod, so there are definitely still bugs.

Make sure to also go into the advanced settings and change when to lower/raise implements because the love missing stuff on the edges
Facebook Page
Facebook Group
Join our Discord!

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:46 am

Personally I don't bother much with hired help when using seasons, except maybe during harvest and I'm trying to rush in a second planting.
I timed it quite well last go around with only one day of downtime, which passed by quickly with time ramped up to x120.

jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:55 pm

Any suggestions on bulk lime hauling? As a for instance, I'm on a 4x map where my fields are a long loooong way from a lime filling station where I can fill in bulk, and filling from pallets just seems soul crushingly inefficient and unrealistic. I gather that I could use a semi & large trailer capable of hauling the lime in massive quantities, but I haven't figured out how to get the lime from a big covered trailer (59000l) into my fertilizer spreader. I was hoping that I could just pull up alongside the trailer with my fertilizer spreader and fill up just like I would from a pallet, but that doesn't seem to be working. What do you guys advise?

juf.de

Post by juf.de » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:09 pm

There personally i use this mod here: https://sharemods.com/6x2q1hsrff8t/FS19 ... n.zip.html
This script allowes you to use manure spreaders to spread lime to and auger waggons to carry and overload lime, it also decreases the amount of lime needed.
In reality i think they use a large dump truck/trailer combined with a wheelloader or telehandler to put it into the spreader.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC

Mwal

Post by Mwal » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:41 pm

jasonbarron wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:55 pm
Any suggestions on bulk lime hauling? As a for instance, I'm on a 4x map where my fields are a long loooong way from a lime filling station where I can fill in bulk, and filling from pallets just seems soul crushingly inefficient and unrealistic. I gather that I could use a semi & large trailer capable of hauling the lime in massive quantities, but I haven't figured out how to get the lime from a big covered trailer (59000l) into my fertilizer spreader. I was hoping that I could just pull up alongside the trailer with my fertilizer spreader and fill up just like I would from a pallet, but that doesn't seem to be working. What do you guys advise?
Rent a wheel loader that’s what I do then just do everything in a day and return it I also rent a kenworth truck with a spreader that’s a mod. It in my opinion simulates real life best, like the co-op is coming out when you are small. Also the script mod that was shared to was real to life ways some people do it around where I’m from to.