Mod maps and farmhouse monopoly

Procobator

Re: Mod maps and farmhouse monopoly

Post by Procobator »

Well OP, one persons ruin is another’s treasure. Maps like you mentioned do not feel ruined to me and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Remove it from the map if you feel that strongly about it but I feel it’s unwarranted to go on the forums to complain that the map is ruined because you don’t agree with the map makers decisions.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

I'm guessing he was offering his own opinion, and is not speaking for everyone else.
It's possible that some modders might like this kind of information if they're attempting to please other people.

Is it alright with you if people come to the forums to offer opinions of what they do like, or would that be unwarranted as well?
BearClaw

Post by BearClaw »

Procobator wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:37 pm Well OP, one persons ruin is another’s treasure. Maps like you mentioned do not feel ruined to me and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Remove it from the map if you feel that strongly about it but I feel it’s unwarranted to go on the forums to complain that the map is ruined because you don’t agree with the map makers decisions.
Seems like you twist this in a way that you can argue and critisize my thread.
This is not complaining, but as for Osina, before update you could put the farm and farmhouse anywhere, and after update its locked in the city. That kinda kills the map unnessesary and it would be alot better like it was before. The modders makes good maps but they make restrictions this way.

As i say, this is not a complaining, just sayin a great map could be even better if we could put a house where you want it. But peops like you in this forum got to complain about threads anyway .. im not bothered
I love the smell of farming better than the profit
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

Map makers are stuck in the prior versions of FS where placable buildings did not exist, so they make a map with all the buildings.
BearClaw

Post by BearClaw »

Well, twist it back to why cannot we just have more than one farmhouse on the farms? That would solved this and everyone is happy.
I love the smell of farming better than the profit
ShabaFS

Post by ShabaFS »

FarmBoss wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:42 pm
BearClaw wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:41 am Happy monday community!

So, i was wondering why modders choose to ruin their maps with a farmhouse that cant be removed, or as on Osina you will not be allowed to build your own farm because only one farmhouse is allowed pr farm.
Same is for lone oak farm and shamrock valley, you will have to use the farmhouse/farm that is set on the map by the creator. This is not complaining to modders, but this ruins so much because your not available to build your own farm anywhere you like just because the farmhouse.

Is there a particular reason for this farmhose thing? And yes i play it on farm manager mode ..
Maybe the questions should be why is the game itself limiting you to only one farmhouse?
You can have multiple animal pens of the same type, and multiple other buildings of the same type, so why are players limited to one farm house?
Sorry to correct you, but if it is possible to have several farms with their own triggers in storage silos, the problem is that you not only have to place them on the map, you also have to know how to configure the corresponding .xml files to work correctly in the game.
Procobator

Post by Procobator »

BearClaw wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:50 pm
Seems like you twist this in a way that you can argue
Not really, But I do typically make these reply types of posts to call out fallacies. You say you’re not complaining but use strong language such as “ruined” and in your reply to me “argue”. Maybe your definition of complaining is different than Webster’s?

FYI, arguments are not always bad as long as you keep it civil.
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

norfolk farmer wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:53 pm
SJ_Sathanas wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:49 pm
blue_painted wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:22 am

I'm guessing OP is on console, because otherwise the solution is simple.
What is the solution?
On pc you can remove it in the savegame xml, by coincidence in his stream last night Virtual Farmer actually demonstrated doing it.

Can anyone explain this further or point me to the episode of VF?
Barrcott

Post by Barrcott »

The other answer to this is to have extra farmhouses as placeables like we have with the other farm buildings, AlienJim has them on Mercury farm , then you only need the doormat sleeptrigger
Swapped the tractor seat for a truck, 30 years later & still regretting it !

Last regular drive > FENDT 930 / 939 & Claas Xerion 3800
Play time > Ford TW20
Bottomless money pit > David Brown 880
Should never of sold the MF168 !
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

Ok I seem to have fixed my issue of not being able to relocate the farm house. I edited the objects.xml (iirc) and changed the farmhouse farm id from "1" to "0" so it is no longer associated with my farm.
It still shows on the map but the sleep trigger has been removed and the game no longer blocks my attempts to place to a farm house elsewhere. I may have broken something but not signs of that yet.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

It seems to me very ironic that this so called "build your own farm" part of the game which was intended to make the game less restrictive as in fact done the opposite. Instead of map makers being original I've seen more duplicated stuff than ever before, purely because it's less hassle for the map maker, and I don't blame them.

All I've seen is people complaining why they are limited by the 3 starting modes as it is impossible for a map maker to cater for everyones preferences.

It is true many map makers dislike this new system, not because we are stuck in the past as some like to criticise, but because to us that was not the point of the map we are making, also the whole placeable system is very limited compared with what is possible in GE, so to map makers it's like going backwards not forwards.

I do not get this obsession with some players of wanting to completely rip a map apart to make it how they like. It seems obvious that the map wasn't the one for them in the first place. So why not find a different map more to there tastes.

It also seems like map makers cannot win, if you have a blank flat map, it's too boring, but the instant there is the slightest realistic scenery on the map, out come the cries of "I should be able to remove everything in sight".
Yet this whole feature of the game was never designed to do that, that was GIANTS feature that was over hyped and made players have un-realistic expectations as to what was possible with this game, yet you players point the blame squarely at mod mappers who have no control how the game is made.

This whole new system hasn't "fixed" farm sim or made it better, it's just made it more frustrating for many players and modders alike.

How are modders supposed to feel creative and motivated with constant responses like this by the community.

When modders complain about the game were told to stop whining and go try make our own game.
If that is the case then the same could be said of players who complain about maps, go make your own, get it released on Modhub for PC and Console then see if your point of view is still the same.

I can guarantee it won't.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

I'd still say starting a savegame on mp fixes most of this, as you can set up multiple farms In mp, you just select a different area to place your farm, then save, and start it up in sp as normal afterwards
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

The discussion on how much players should be allowed to change a map has been going on since I started playing FS in 2016. As a beginner I was totally satisfied with the "Don't touch, just play" maps. But as time goes, some players start to value game features and player control higher than true-to-life landscaping. Luckily, there are so many excellent map makers around that it is not hard to learn which map makers will meet your expectations.
K. Henneberg/ArmChairFarming. Author of RealLifeNumbers (FS19, FS22)
Nishma Agri Mods

Post by Nishma Agri Mods »

I do somewhat agree with the OP . I do like the start from scratch mode and having a static pre assigned farm house can be awkward.

But a simple solution would be a Farmhouse mod that`s is just the trigger prefab that can be placed by the map maker and can thus be sold and re-bought by the player. This would keep the map maker happy and not ruin their creative flow , but would keep players happy as they can then basically pick any house on the map and turn it into their farm house. Personally i just go into the map and change the things i want to change and play on.

For example ,Shamrock farm from oxydavid . I love the layout of the map . love the roads , but for my play style the map boundaries were a issue as was the tiny copse of trees that i cut down in play session lol . So i added a massive forestry area on the hills either side of the map that was out of bounds before and changed the farmhouse trigger plus planted a few more trees around the map as i love forestry, and forestry on shamrock is a good fun challenge because of the great job that oxydavid did on the map design .

But as the age old saying goes you will never please everyone all of the time..
Massey5713

Post by Massey5713 »

I think part of the reason we want to be able to place our own house/buildings, is beccause we want the farm to feel like something that is our own. Ownership and creativity in how we play the game.

I love the different maps, realistic scenery and the work modders put in them, but mostley they are either based in US, UK or EU. I like to make it look like something closer to how farms look like here where I live. Making it more familliar so to speak.. so I seek out places where I can build my own, how I like it. But I’ts not practical when the farm-house is at the other end of the map..

However, thumbs up for you modders who still keep adding to this great game, I’ve played it more since christmas when I got it, than I played all last year 😁
Farming in Norway when the weather allows,
farming in FS19 when the wife allows *thumbsup*

Ps4