Challenge for the PC players from a console player

Bryan83
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:10 am
Location: Western Washington, USA

Challenge for the PC players from a console player

Post by Bryan83 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:51 pm

Ok, one overarching theme I see recurring in threads is that if consolers want all the mods, they should just upgrade to PC.

So here's my challenge to you:
Create 3 spec sets of PC's. The first one being a money is no object gaming rig with everything you either have or would love to have in your own setup. The second being a "mid-grade" option, able to run the game at max settings and store/use a ton of mods, but cost may be something of a factor. The last one being for the budget minded player that may want a PC for expanded access to mods, but really doesn't have a lot to spend.

I would say when writing this up, please keep in mind that some, like me for instance, are something of a novice in the world of actually building a PC. I only ask for a respectful discourse. Thanks for reading.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. Mention this ad for a special discount on select purchases from me.

SJ_Sathanas
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:02 am

Re: Challenge for the PC players from a console player

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:17 pm

My budget pc build last year;
DELL Optiplex i7 4th Gen. £200 on eBay, cheaper if you shop around.
Nvidia GTX 970 6gb GPU £100 used on eBay, cheaper if you shop around.
BeQuiet! GOLD Rated Power supply, 550W IIRC - about £120 brand new.
Budget a few quid for an adaptor wiring harness or two from ebay, a cheap keyboard and mouse and optional Xbox controller (wired or wireless). Plug it into a TV and you wont need to buy a display.
It'll need a better hard drive eventually but it comfortably out performs my Xbox with everything set to high.

CowsGoMoo
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:06 am

Re: Challenge for the PC players from a console player

Post by CowsGoMoo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:19 pm

Discussion aleady exists, look for Small Guide To PC post. You can build a low budget pc for around 500 bucks that will get you 1080p at 60 frames all day long on FS, all new parts. Even cheaper if you're not afraid to go used.
Virtual farming since 2017

17 on pc
17, 19 on ps4

And now 19 on pc. Ty giants for Farm From Home code give aways for utoobrs.

village80
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:25 am

Re: Challenge for the PC players from a console player

Post by village80 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:21 pm

Already exists and is quite through:

https://www.logicalincrements.com/

blue_painted
Posts: 349
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: Challenge for the PC players from a console player

Post by blue_painted » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:36 am

And it's not just the mods ... one thing I see from the console players is wanting to do this or that to maps; with a PC you can get into a map GIANTS Editor quite easily and make all the private edits you want.
Playing £300 PC with a £95 graphics card, £15 XBox controller and £65 SSD ... (and sometimes £200 laptop)

BreadedVirus
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:10 am
Location: here, there everywhere

Re: Challenge for the PC players from a console player

Post by BreadedVirus » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:38 am

Bryan83 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:51 pm
Ok, one overarching theme I see recurring in threads is that if consolers want all the mods, they should just upgrade to PC.

So here's my challenge to you:
Create 3 spec sets of PC's. The first one being a money is no object gaming rig with everything you either have or would love to have in your own setup. The second being a "mid-grade" option, able to run the game at max settings and store/use a ton of mods, but cost may be something of a factor. The last one being for the budget minded player that may want a PC for expanded access to mods, but really doesn't have a lot to spend.

I would say when writing this up, please keep in mind that some, like me for instance, are something of a novice in the world of actually building a PC. I only ask for a respectful discourse. Thanks for reading.
I have already done that. I own a PS4 and have FS 17 and 19 on it.
MasterBox MB500 ATX Mid Tower Case, Asus - PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor , GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB , 24GB RAM, CRYORIG - M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler, 5 Cool Master Jetflo case fans, Samsung 970 Evo plus SSD, 1TB HDD, Win 10, PLAYSTATION 4, T150, T3PA Pro Pedal set, TH8A Shifter
the big print giveth the small print taketh

Bryan83
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:10 am
Location: Western Washington, USA

Re: Challenge for the PC players from a console player

Post by Bryan83 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:38 am

I read through quite a bit of that thread, the main idea with this one was for a little more diversity of options, thus the 3 tiered format to help someone like me get more ideas as I'm a newbie.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. Mention this ad for a special discount on select purchases from me.

Bryan83
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:10 am
Location: Western Washington, USA

Re: Challenge for the PC players from a console player

Post by Bryan83 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:40 am

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:17 pm
My budget pc build last year;
DELL Optiplex i7 4th Gen. £200 on eBay, cheaper if you shop around.
Nvidia GTX 970 6gb GPU £100 used on eBay, cheaper if you shop around.
BeQuiet! GOLD Rated Power supply, 550W IIRC - about £120 brand new.
Budget a few quid for an adaptor wiring harness or two from ebay, a cheap keyboard and mouse and optional Xbox controller (wired or wireless). Plug it into a TV and you wont need to buy a display.
It'll need a better hard drive eventually but it comfortably out performs my Xbox with everything set to high.
If you will kindly forgive my Americanism, but I am unfamiliar with what a "quid" is?
Join us on the FS Community Trader. Mention this ad for a special discount on select purchases from me.

BreadedVirus
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:10 am
Location: here, there everywhere

Re: Challenge for the PC players from a console player

Post by BreadedVirus » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:41 am

Bryan83 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:38 am
I read through quite a bit of that thread, the main idea with this one was for a little more diversity of options, thus the 3 tiered format to help someone like me get more ideas as I'm a newbie.
Mid range PC was my option and glad I did and upgraded parts when I saved enough money.
MasterBox MB500 ATX Mid Tower Case, Asus - PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor , GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB , 24GB RAM, CRYORIG - M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler, 5 Cool Master Jetflo case fans, Samsung 970 Evo plus SSD, 1TB HDD, Win 10, PLAYSTATION 4, T150, T3PA Pro Pedal set, TH8A Shifter
the big print giveth the small print taketh

Mwal
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Challenge for the PC players from a console player

Post by Mwal » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:56 am

Bryan83 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:40 am
SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:17 pm
My budget pc build last year;
DELL Optiplex i7 4th Gen. £200 on eBay, cheaper if you shop around.
Nvidia GTX 970 6gb GPU £100 used on eBay, cheaper if you shop around.
BeQuiet! GOLD Rated Power supply, 550W IIRC - about £120 brand new.
Budget a few quid for an adaptor wiring harness or two from ebay, a cheap keyboard and mouse and optional Xbox controller (wired or wireless). Plug it into a TV and you wont need to buy a display.
It'll need a better hard drive eventually but it comfortably out performs my Xbox with everything set to high.
If you will kindly forgive my Americanism, but I am unfamiliar with what a "quid" is?
Believe it’s slang name for money, like we say “bucks” for money. Australian i think? Head to your a couple local pc repair shops tell them what you wanna do tell them what you wanna play and many of them will build your pc for next to nothing just out of the joy they get out of doing it. It’s really weird but I suppose when all you do is get little old lady’s 30 year old computers working again it’s probably enjoyable.

DirectCedar
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:47 am

Re: Challenge for the PC players from a console player

Post by DirectCedar » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:19 am

Bryan83 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:40 am
If you will kindly forgive my Americanism, but I am unfamiliar with what a "quid" is?
Quid is colloquial for British Pound Sterling. "The beer here is great and it's only 3 quid a pint."

SJ_Sathanas
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:02 am

Re: Challenge for the PC players from a console player

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:53 am

Lol sorry yes a British pound, about a dollar 30 I think?

Eische
Posts: 1652
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:17 pm

Re: Challenge for the PC players from a console player

Post by Eische » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:58 am

Bryan83 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:38 am
I read through quite a bit of that thread, the main idea with this one was for a little more diversity of options, thus the 3 tiered format to help someone like me get more ideas as I'm a newbie.
It all depends on the visual quality you want to use ingame. You want to play on 4k with high details? Plan on using your existing TV as monitor or buying a dedicated monitor? Satisfied using lower detail level?
That is something you want to clearify for yourself upfront. Nobody can help you with that decision. I'm enjoying the game on medium details on a 22" monitor. I'm focusing more on using all the mods I want and changing several game parameters to my specific style of play.

The main advantage of a PC is the possibility to upgrade it after a few years. That being said, it is important to lay down a solid base for a PC:
- a good housing with enough room for everything you need
- a good power supply (500W+)

Especially for the housing:
I bought a lot of different housings over the decades I'm building my own PCs. All I can say is, do not focus on the look/styling of the housing. You want to have one providing enough room, easy to disassemble and provide enough positions for effective low noise cooling fans.

There are housings specifically designed for being living room compatible based on appearance and overall dimensions. Just search for HTPC housings. I had some over the years. For a dedicated gaming rig, I would never by them anymore. The good ones are quite expensive and you need to check first if they provide enough room for powerful graphic cards. Most of them do not even have enough room for a low noise CPU cooling fan.

A solid midi-tower housing is all you will ever need.
PC - Win10

Midlands Farmer
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Challenge for the PC players from a console player

Post by Midlands Farmer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:16 am

Problem with building a PC is it is relative to the player & the games they play if you want a gaming rig for FS19 it is going to be a lot cheaper then say a PC for the new Star Wars game that wants 16GB RAM minimum to play you can very easy go over kill and over budget

blue_painted
Posts: 349
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: Challenge for the PC players from a console player

Post by blue_painted » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:53 am

16Gb DDR4 RAM is £59.95 from Crucial ... buy two games at £30 each instead of £60 and you've saved that much.
Playing £300 PC with a £95 graphics card, £15 XBox controller and £65 SSD ... (and sometimes £200 laptop)

Post Reply