Stupid questions from a non-farmer

Illinois Farmer

Re: Stupid questions from a non-farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Haha yea or the hurlimanns.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

iwan073 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:38 pm
Mwal wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:13 pm
iwan073 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:33 pm Talking about weights...
I’ve always wondered when you would use those big weights in-game?

The 2300, 2400 and 3300 kilo ones.

Cause it seems overkill to me (in-game)
Bigger tractor+bigger implement(especially large 3pt)=more downforce on the rear axle which requires more weight to keep the load balanced to gain optimal traction.
Yeah IRL.
But like I said, in-game it’s overkill.
Cause no matter what you put on there, the bigger tractors will never put their nose up in the air
Oh sorry missed the in game part, I just tested it with the 340 magnum (409 horse) with wide tires and no other extras pulling the dondi 813 which is a mod subsoiler that requires 700 horse power. Without the weight tilling corn stalks speed was 3-4 mph bouncing between. With the agco 1100 weight on the same set up I got 5 mph consistently and bouncing into 6. With the 3300 fendt weight I got high six sometimes bouncing into 7 which is the implements max speed. So they definitely have an effect.
Way2drunk2walk

Post by Way2drunk2walk »

iwan073 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:33 pm Talking about weights...
I’ve always wondered when you would use those big weights in-game?

The 2300, 2400 and 3300 kilo ones.

Cause it seems overkill to me (in-game)
I use those on the back of tractors equipped with a loader, usually to lift things I shouldn't.
"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may." Samuel Houston
Farming on PC
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

Mwal wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:23 am
Oh that’s interesting.

I love the way the Fendt 1000 looks with the 3300 weight. But I’m always afraid it does more harm than good.

Way2drunk2walk wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:54 am
Like a 15000 liter silage fork? 😬
Ignorance is bliss
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

From what I've seen on yt the whirly majig things called Power Harrows are used after cultivating and before seeding to break up large soil clumps and smooth out the soil, not specifically as a cultivating tool.

In my part of the upper mid west USA I don't see any of that. Usually disk in fall to break up crop stubble and burry it a bit so it degrades over winter, then in spring a chisel plow is usually used or even a heavy disk to rip the soil.
Many farms that can afford it though are getting bigger tractors to use 1-pass implements that combine both those processes. The field would go untilled in fall and all done at one time in spring.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Krd1749 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:43 pm 1.) It seems like sub-soilers, harrows, and cultivators are very different pieces of equipment, but they all do one thing in FS19. Do you ever use more than one of these pieces of equipment (e.g. a cultivator and a sub-soiler) for better results in real life?
It's not strictly true that the do the same thing in game. With the periodic ploughing requirement set to off they do the same thing, but with it on the sub-soiler can replace the plough, doing it more quickly as they're generally wider for similar power.

In game the only difference between sub-soilers and ploughs is that sub-soilers can't extend or create new fields, while ploughs can.

Krd1749 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:31 pm 4.) Is there a specific type of trailer you would use for transporting (not spreading) manure? I'm getting ready to build an orchard and it's not going to be close to my cow pasture. Seems weird to use a basic tipper for it though.
In real life around here they'll use whatever is available, usually a (relatively small) tipper trailer. It's easily washed out afterwards and they're generally used for manure or grain at different times of the year anyway.

CowsGoMoo wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:37 am From what I've seen on yt the whirly majig things called Power Harrows are used after cultivating and before seeding to break up large soil clumps and smooth out the soil, not specifically as a cultivating tool.
I'm not that up to speed with it now (in fact I've not seen a power harrow around here for years), however before direct drilling was common it would generally be plough, then power harrow then drill, often all in the field at the same time. As you say the power harrow was to break up the large clods left by the plough, but they were a nightmare with stones getting stuck in them.

PS "whirly majic things" is brilliant! :lol:
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

Where I farm, we use a disk ripper in the fall on corn stalks, and we either disk or subsoil the bean ground. In the spring we use a field cultivator and soil finisher on the bean ground, and usually we disk what was corn the previous year. Occasionally we will plant no-till into corn stalks.
garyst

Post by garyst »

Thought I would give some examples of some of the types of tillage tools used in the Louisiana/Mississippi delta region where I am from. Majority of the crops where I am from are planted on bedded rows for better drainage as we average alot of rainfall over here. All the subsoilers over here have rear listers mounted to them to build up beds behind the ripper shanks. Farmers over here use disk harrows for primary tillage for corn, milo, and cotton stalks. Hipper bedders to build up rows, and du-all seedbed finishers or hipper rollers to flatten the tops of the bedded rows for planting. I included a few pics of these tillage tools.

garyst

Post by garyst »

Almost forgot they also use pto ditch diggers to also help direct the water out of the fields to bigger ditches.

MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

They need to make a TV series on History Channel or Discovery where they just go around the world learning how farmers work the types of land they have. I never thought there were so many different methods, and it is fascinating!
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

If you check out the real life farming picture thread in the off topic section I have a picture of my disc from this past spring and one of my chisel this past fall.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

To the right is how a subsoiler leaves the ground.
Massey5713

Post by Massey5713 »

Krd1749 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:58 pm They need to make a TV series on History Channel or Discovery where they just go around the world learning how farmers work the types of land they have. I never thought there were so many different methods, and it is fascinating!
Now that, I would watch!
Farming in Norway when the weather allows,
farming in FS19 when the wife allows *thumbsup*

Ps4
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

https://www.history.com/shows/the-american-farm
History channel farm show, not sure if it will have a second season or not but it had one.