Oilseed radish with seasons

gilroy222

Re: Oilseed radish with seasons

Post by gilroy222 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:07 am

Illinois Farmer wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:35 am
Leaving the ground fallow or not doesn't make it more hardline. Imo it makes it more unrealistic. No one around here would ever do that. You are missing out pln income send resources. Plus, you wouldn't be gaining that much, if any irl.
Yeah I thought that was kind of different too. Could be commonplace somewhere, but we never do it and nobody around me does it. If we did then we'd be spraying/mowing a **** load of weeds the following year before planting lol

Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:09 am

Lol no kidding. I couldn't imagine losing out on that income that's needed to stay afloat.
1280 acre farm, 3000 hogs, 200 cattle, 16 ewes,1 ram, 30 lambs, and xbox one user and newly pc user.

Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:19 am

What I meant by hard line was going by the book. The seasons manual that is, that was written specifically to the mod.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. Mention this ad for a special discount on select purchases from me.

SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:53 pm

It's all a little confusing - I planted oilseed and left the field sit for a year - it is showing fallow and 1 layer of fertilization when spring arrived. The oilseed stay green and grown the whole time and I am about to let it go another year to get a re-set field. i still haven't plowed them under, maybe another layer of fert. will show when I do. I don't think this is really going to benefit me all that much; both oilseed and letting your field remain fallow both seem like a waste of time imo.
Console user
#Cameras4Consoles

jah6575

Post by jah6575 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:11 pm

I know oilseed radish doesn’t affect crop rotation in any way, so I could see why it would read fallow for the prior year. I believe what you had in mind will work and if left another year will reset the field to initial state.

Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:13 pm

I wonder if the game recognizes oilseed as a fertilizer and not a crop. May explain why that doesn't affect the fallow.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. Mention this ad for a special discount on select purchases from me.

anthu

Post by anthu » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:04 am

Also is oilseed radish senseless in seasons?
I mean, seed wheat, harvest them, seed oilseed, plough it Down when ready, and the next fruit have no harvest bonus?
Lg
andreas

IceUul

Post by IceUul » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:53 am

anthu wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:04 am
Also is oilseed radish senseless in seasons?
I mean, seed wheat, harvest them, seed oilseed, plough it Down when ready, and the next fruit have no harvest bonus?
Lg
andreas
Oilseed does not have any effect, just one more fertilization state.
See crop rotation planner, there are no oilseed inside.

About fallow, yes it is not smart to leave fields fallow, smart is to do good rotation plan to get max numbers
out of each crops, for example i have wheat, soybeans, canola rotation, will get more out of this than leaving the
field fallow.

Fallow is implemented into the game, because sometimes you need to leave field fallow in game and it would be realistic that
it will affect the next harvest in positive way. Also how it infects, needs to be inside crop rotation planner.
Reasons the fields might be fallow...
1. You have so much fields and no time to plant everyone of them.
2. Autumn weather is so rainy that you cannot harvest crops.
3. AI (NPC) might leave they fields fallow, if they also fail to harvest or plant.

As you can see, would be smart to get maximum out of your fields and never leave any field fallow, but sometimes bad
things happen, maybe you did not plan your time well or just unlucky about the weather.

norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:43 am

FarmCatJenkins wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:12 am
I don’t believe they have any impact on crop rotation. But I’ve never used them so I can only speculate
I am reasonably sure that is the answer given from one of the seasons team when asked the same question.

reallogger

Post by reallogger » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:57 am

Correct. Radish does not impact crop rotation. :)

FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:50 am

IceUul wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:53 am

Reasons the fields might be fallow...
1. You have so much fields and no time to plant everyone of them.
2. Autumn weather is so rainy that you cannot harvest crops.
3. AI (NPC) might leave they fields fallow, if they also fail to harvest or plant.
I agree with the idea that you wouldn't normally want to plan on fallow as part of a rotation. And it's nice that Seasons recognizes the benefit of a field having been left fallow for a year. Another reason might be that it never gets warm enough for the seeds to germinate.

My only issue is with #2 above where the field could grow a crop to ready to harvest state and still be considered fallow for the year if rain prevented the harvest.
PS4