Are maps meant to be scale or 1:1?

Jonhinkerton

Are maps meant to be scale or 1:1?

Post by Jonhinkerton »

From a simulation standpoint, are the maps meant to represent much larger areas (my 250 acres of fields in the game would be using the resources and making the profits of a much larger farm) or are they meant to have true ground scale? Is it a question only of roleplaying or does it impact the game’s economy? Is it map-by-map up to the mapmakers?
redglasses

Re: Are maps meant to be scale or 1:1?

Post by redglasses »

Most maps are not 1:1, I know some use 1:1 for the yard and 2:1 for everything else to make it feel like a bigger area.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Deereslayer

Post by Deereslayer »

Its probably more like 1:10 in real life
humbe

Post by humbe »

I used 11:14 minutes to drive main road around Ravenport in 30 kph, indicating road was around 6 km long. which should mean map is less than 3km x 3km.. At least not way off from what I'd expect
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

I believe the area Lone Oak Farm is modelled on is shrunk from roughly 3km x 3km in real life to the standard 2km x 2km size in game to ensure all of the area around the real farm could be included.

Oakfield and I believe Marwell Manor Farm are roughly true to life.

I seem to recall BulletBill saying that Coldborough Park Farm was scaled slightly and trying to compare best I can it does look that way; quickly trying to estimate the areas it looks to be about 80% of the real size.
Jonhinkerton

Post by Jonhinkerton »

Interesting. I am trying to reconcile the amount of space one can enjoyably work as a casual player with the groundscale and timescale. The 2km^2 map is roughly the size of farm that I would like to have, but it is nearly impossible to enjoyably work that much land (for me anyway). 100-250 acres seems much more to-scale for being able to do a day of work in an evening’s session of play with seasons’ time compression. Viewing the map as 1/10 or 1/25 therefore. Sounds like that is not beyond the intent of the game.
squerble

Post by squerble »

The Millenial Farmer map looks like it'll be a 1:1 scale (2km x 2km area)when comparing the map preview to the real life area on Google Maps *thumbsup* the fields are going to be huge!

FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

I’m so excited for that map. So glad to see it back in testing
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

Oakfield, Lone Oak, Marwell Manor are all based on real farms and made using google maps so are true to life. Lanci boi also states his fields are accurate sizes for real life fields although his map is not based on real local.

Welkers is a bit of an in between. The fields are located relative to each other and shaped the same as real life but size isn't Nick did a video comparing welker 17 to real life and one of the smaller fields on game was like 25 acres and in real life is like a 100.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
squerble

Post by squerble »

CowsGoMoo wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:03 am Oakfield, Lone Oak, Marwell Manor are all based on real farms and made using google maps so are true to life. Lanci boi also states his fields are accurate sizes for real life fields although his map is not based on real local.

Welkers is a bit of an in between. The fields are located relative to each other and shaped the same as real life but size isn't Nick did a video comparing welker 17 to real life and one of the smaller fields on game was like 25 acres and in real life is like a 100.
Lone Oak is known to be shrunk down though - it's a roughly 3km x 3km area squeezed into a 2km x 2km area, with the yard kept to a "real" size so you lose a little more field space because of that.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

CowsGoMoo wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:03 am Oakfield, Lone Oak, Marwell Manor are all based on real farms and made using google maps so are true to life.
Lone Oak Farm's scale isn't true to life. The in-game one is smaller than in real life. The 2km x 2km in-game area is actually around 3km x 3km in real life (66%). Edit: squerble beat me.

Personally, I think most maps have a nice balance. For single player most of us probably want a world that feels big, but a map that isn't extravagant. There's a lot to be said for having true to life farms and land in game, but the reality is that most of us don't or can't put in the dozens of hours a week to actually work the real life size.

Look at Marwell Manor. The starting fields are huge, so if you want to start smallish and grow then you'll be harvesting and ploughing for real life days. Oakfield Farm has similarly large fields, though most won't start with them!

I think it's merciful that some maps, such as Coldborough, The West Coast, Lone Oak and The Western Shore are smaller than in reality.
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

Oh I thought L O was true to life. As a solo player I can attest to that statement being true, want the world feeling large with out the map/fields being so huge.

I don't think Millenial Farmer map can be 1 to 1 unless they only model the land surrounding the main farms. He runs something like 2800 acres I thought I heard. Standard 2x map would be something like 800 acres, and thats the entire land area as it would measured by a ruler. Take away some land for mountains, forest, water, bga, shop, and a couple sell points that everyone will want and its somewhat less.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
squerble

Post by squerble »

CowsGoMoo wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:31 am Oh I thought L O was true to life. As a solo player I can attest to that statement being true, want the world feeling large with out the map/fields being so huge.

I don't think Millenial Farmer map can be 1 to 1 unless they only model the land surrounding the main farms. He runs something like 2800 acres I thought I heard. Standard 2x map would be something like 800 acres, and thats the entire land area as it would measured by a ruler. Take away some land for mountains, forest, water, bga, shop, and a couple sell points that everyone will want and its somewhat less.
Yep, it's only the fields around the main farm. In his vids he talks about some fields "a few miles from here" etc so it's safe to say a lot of fields will be missing, but that's the sacrifice MP have to make to get it on console too. *thumbsup*
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I doubt with his equipment he will have any fields smaller than 40 acres. I don't even have any field smaller than 40.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
iw_shawn

Post by iw_shawn »

The area in the Millenial Farmer map isn’t their entire farm.