Railroad crossings

humbe

Railroad crossings

Post by humbe »

Anyone have any tricks as to not crash in railroad crossings?

The barrier comes down basically at the same time as the light, so I don't have time to break before hitting the barrier. It also comes down so fast that you might not hit the first barrier but the second one on the way out..

Would be nice if the lights could start blinking 5 seconds earlier..

Currently, it's so annoying I ended up finding a mod to disable train from going by itself.
Bryan83

Re: Railroad crossings

Post by Bryan83 »

Maybe it's the trucker in me, but even in the game approaching a crossing I slow down and look both ways before going. It would be great if they could program the train in independent mode to sound it's horn when approaching the grade.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

Well the crossing arms depends on the map so there is that...
but you could always slow down look both ways before crossing the tracks, like in real life.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
humbe

Post by humbe »

I'm trying to use a wheel, and sight to the side is limited without having to use the mouse.. On Ravenport it feels like the red lights start flashing 2 seconds before the train which is ridiculously little time to react.
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

I think Bryan83 hit the nail on the head for me.. after years of driving over the road, its second nature for me to slow down and have a good look both ways.. even in the game its a habit I cant really shake
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Yeah. Drivers Ed gets it into ya at any rate! I always check myself, not much sight til you hit the tracks in my town. :lol:
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Hogger

Post by Hogger »

You would be amazed at the amount of people that don’t! STOP LOOK LISTEN and Live!
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

And, I think you can change the speedlimiter on the trains, or was that just in '17?
It's been a long time since trains have been a problem, but I hate those trains doing 80 on 90 degrees bends....
But, again, it's been a while since I've had trains close by. If I remember correctly you can set the speedlimiter on them, and around 40 gives you more time before it comes, as it's a set distance from the crossing the signal is triggered, so that the slower the speed, the longer time til it reaches the crossing.
It won't change the timing of the lights vs the barrier though
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
humbe

Post by humbe »

I used to have switch to trains on just to be able to stop it.. As long as I tabbed to it once in a while it kept still.. Currently I'm using a mod to just turn off the automatic movement of it. I'd like to keep it on if I could get crossings to signal in time, but as it is now it's just too annoying as on Ravenport you need to cross it all the time. It's not like I can't slow down, but I want to be able to cross it without letting go of the steering wheel, and even if I used the mouse, a train coming at 80 kph takes a very short time to go from behind an obstacle to inside the crossing.
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

humbe wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:52 pm I used to have switch to trains on just to be able to stop it.. As long as I tabbed to it once in a while it kept still.. Currently I'm using a mod to just turn off the automatic movement of it. I'd like to keep it on if I could get crossings to signal in time, but as it is now it's just too annoying as on Ravenport you need to cross it all the time. It's not like I can't slow down, but I want to be able to cross it without letting go of the steering wheel, and even if I used the mouse, a train coming at 80 kph takes a very short time to go from behind an obstacle to inside the crossing.
BIB

I seem to recall being advised that, if you keep some crop stored in the train, it won't start itself up and begin whizzing around on it's own! (not currently a problem for me as I'm on Sussex Farms, so no train :) )
Played FS2013 and FS15 on PS3
Playing FS17, FS19 and now FS22 on PS4
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Lol I just played Medicine Creek last night and I tabbed to the train and it was under ground. I’ll send pic when I get home today
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Farmer216

Post by Farmer216 »

I've got 730 hours on Ravenport and have only been hit by the train once.
That was because I cut the corner too close and the trailer got hung up. Totally my fault.

I've seen a car get hit by a train IRL, so I tend to slow down and look.

I've had guests on my map that always seem to get hit by the trains. I don't get it.

I did notice that they tend to be the types that drive at top speed. The faster you're going, the less time you have to react.
I've also noticed it tends to be oversized loads. Yes the tractor will pull 8 trailers, but should you?

I use cruise control a lot. 18mph for tractors, 30-35mph for trucks.

All that said .. the lights could probably come on a second or two earlier
I play on Xbox3 (Which they called the "One" for some reason)
Addicted to Farm Sim since: 6-26-2k17
FS17@ 5,336hrs ~ FS19@ 3377hrs (updated 2.18.21)