Beginning: what to do with loose straw?

Illinois Farmer

Re: Beginning: what to do with loose straw?

Post by Illinois Farmer » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:27 pm

There is a pick up wagon that holds 52700 and I think only cost like 50000. It is on the modhub.
1280 acre farm, 3000 hogs, 200 cattle, 16 ewes,1 ram, 30 lambs, and xbox one user and newly pc user.

Cad_dao

Post by Cad_dao » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:12 pm

Neofit wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:02 am
Hi,

I've started "from scratch" and am awaiting my first wheat harvest. From the tutorial I have learned that my harvester will leave a row of loose straw, that they taught me to collect into bales. At this point though, I only have 26K left after purchasing what I deemed necessary. I don't even have a house or a tent yet, I'm living in my tractor atm, so buying baling tech is out of the question for the moment.
From my googling on the issue I saw that there is the option to get a Loading Wagon, but I can't afford one yet either. Plus I'm not sure how quickly, if ever, I'd get back the 46K that the cheapest wagon costs at the current price of 84€ per whatever measure. (on another note, I wish we had proper difficulty levels: I don't want to play on an already established farm with lots of stuff and plenty of choices already made for me, but that doesn't mean that I want a terrible grind and very low sell prices either).

With a Fork as manual tool I'd manually fill the trailer as in the old days, while waiting for the field to grow :).
So, I just leave the straw there in the field, to fertilize the next crop?
Hi Neofit,

Leasing is an availiable option to look at starting your farm, expecially playing with season and with equipments/implements you would only need a day or around. Stuff required for daily operations should be first to be looked at to be bought. This way, you should be able to survive the first years of operation and still manage to get profit from your harvest. Ex.: Buying a 300 000$ - 400 000$ worth combine & header compared to leasing them for 15 000$ - 20 000$. If it allows you to spend those 300 000$ or so in buying extra fields, you might be able to pay your leasing fee with one of those fields leaving all others to become direct profit in your pockets. Having some land with forest on might be an option too since you can do some forestry starting cheap with a tractor with frontloader and logging trailer.

Also looking at tractor/implement buying worth vs HP required/working width is a way to spare some money to spend it in diversifying your pool of equipment. There's decent mod tractors & implements that offer an option so you could get two lesser worth tractor and two 3m implements for less than the worth of the same purpose 6m implement and the required workhorse to put in front to pull it.

In fact, the biggest limit is how you like/want to play and what stuff want/like to use. Other than that, it's like playing a chess game. If you play your moves at proper time, you will be able to get to do the next one without struggling.

Regards!
FS 17 & 19 on XBOX one

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:13 pm

I rarely buy anything if it's more than 100,000 (except for tractors) for the first year or two.

Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:21 pm

FarmCatJenkins wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:02 pm
Neofit wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:33 am
When you start a new career in "from scratch" mode, it says so in the description: "The economy is tough, prices are low". Are we being mislead? :)
When the game launched you couldn't change the economy difficulty, so the description was never changed.
That clears a lot up because I thought that even if you changed the economy, the prices were still low. That clarifies a lot
Dairy Farmer. John Deere. Dairydeere!
FS 17 on PS4; FS 19 on Epic Games
FSN - Joined March 15
CanFarm - 8hrs.

Find me on Discord - Dairydeere #2509
YT Channel- The Carpet Farmer
YT Discord- https://discord.gg/HgWPg2h

If you never ask, the answer is always no.
Have fun with the farmin’!