Equipment Icons in Upper Left

Dairydeere

Re: Equipment Icons in Upper Left

Post by Dairydeere »

I have dealt with it, but I think the only reason I can see it is I have a laptop screen closer to my face than most console players would get to their TV, and I wear glasses 🤓
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

I usually just swing the camera to a darker background. A lot easier to see.
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
Crysis19

Post by Crysis19 »

FarmCatJenkins wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:36 pm I usually just swing the camera to a darker background. A lot easier to see.
Yeah, I did this as well. It helps a bit.
Phigo wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:30 pm Well not a small amount of Players are Managing that Icon for over a year. I never read anything near that on here. That should not mean it can be difficult to see what is selected, but it is not impossible. If you are more familiar with the game and the implements that you are using you will look at that Icon less. Some implements work even if they are not selected. Some don't. If one does not work press triangle and try again. You don't have that much implements to go through. Over a Million other Players have done it - you will do it, too.
Just because people "deal" with something they can't change, doesn't mean it's not something worth Giants time to look at and see if they can't make it better for all.

That's the point of player feedback. For the developers to see little problems like this. Same as the issue in the Store that PS4 has with selecting customize options when a custom color is available. Yet Xbox and PC don't seem to have.

If nobody brings it up, it doesn't get fixed.
Phigo

Post by Phigo »

Crysis19 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:40 pm
Phigo wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:30 pm Well not a small amount of Players are Managing that Icon for over a year. I never read anything near that on here. That should not mean it can be difficult to see what is selected, but it is not impossible. If you are more familiar with the game and the implements that you are using you will look at that Icon less. Some implements work even if they are not selected. Some don't. If one does not work press triangle and try again. You don't have that much implements to go through. Over a Million other Players have done it - you will do it, too.
Just because people "deal" with something they can't change, doesn't mean it's not something worth Giants time to look at and see if they can't make it better for all.

That's the point of player feedback. For the developers to see little problems like this. Same as the issue in the Store that PS4 has with selecting customize options when a custom color is available. Yet Xbox and PC don't seem to have.

If nobody brings it up, it doesn't get fixed.
A Little Feedback is a nice way to give developers a hint. When I first read your OP it sounded more like you couldn't see anything and it was Kind of gamebreaking.

It is not that I Always see what that Icon Shows but when it is I move the camera to another Background and I can see what it Shows. I have more Problems to read the red Digits on black Background in the finances or vehicles overview (and can't Change the camera). But I know that those are minor Problems and those are not changed in this game. Maybe the next fs and if it will be, not because I can't see but out of design...
PS4 und PC
Stegei
GIANTS Software | CTO

Post by Stegei »

These are the color codings of the vehicle setup scheme on the top left:
Gray: Not selected, not turned on
White: Selected, not turned on
Dark Orange: Not selected, turned on
Bright Orange: Selected, tuned on

Only a single vehicle/implemented can be selected at the same time.
The selection is important, if inputs of different vehicles/implements are overlapping (e.g. the lower implement when you have a front and a back implement attached). In that case, you need to select the implement you want to adjust and then press the input.
If an input is only used by the vehicle or a single implement, the input will always be applied to that vehicle/implement, no matter which selection you have.
Usually, the vehicle can not be selected when you have just regular implement attached, because in that case, non of the inputs of the vehicle (horn, light, acceleration, etc.) overlap with the inputs of the implements. However in some configurations, it might be needed to also select the vehicle itself.

If you can't see the differences between the different color, you should try setting up the TV better (not having it setup correctly will also make the rest of the game look bad). The game mode in some TVs can help, or using the PC mode. The issue can also happen if you set the TV brightness too high, where it will start mapping all relatively bright colors to almost the same brightness as the TV doesn't have a high enough peak brightness to map the full range. We will however also investigate, if there are some options on our side to improve this in the future.
Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

I think the problem is that the contrast between white and light grey isn't distinct enough for it to be easily seen, regardless of your display settings. Especially as this is usually with a background of a bright sky. If green (or some other colour) was used to highlight the currently selected implement it would be a lot clearer.
Milkman85

Post by Milkman85 »

Stegei wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:52 am If you can't see the differences between the different color, you should try setting up the TV better (not having it setup correctly will also make the rest of the game look bad). The game mode in some TVs can help, or using the PC mode. The issue can also happen if you set the TV brightness too high, where it will start mapping all relatively bright colors to almost the same brightness as the TV doesn't have a high enough peak brightness to map the full range. We will however also investigate, if there are some options on our side to improve this in the future.
The tv brightness needs to be tuned up otherwise working through night on a console is physically impossible...weird how every other game/show looks great but when it comes to FS19 it needs special tuning. :-?
Virtual farming since FS2011
Currently on PS5
squerble

Post by squerble »

Ritchie wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:31 pm I think the problem is that the contrast between white and light grey isn't distinct enough for it to be easily seen, regardless of your display settings. Especially as this is usually with a background of a bright sky. If green (or some other colour) was used to highlight the currently selected implement it would be a lot clearer.
My bold, but I can see the difference on mine quite clearly, so the OP has an issue with his/her display settings. That said, you're right in that a different highlight colour (or even use hollow vs filled graphics with the same colour scheme) could make it clearer for some people.
Crysis19

Post by Crysis19 »

squerble wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:09 pm
Ritchie wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:31 pm I think the problem is that the contrast between white and light grey isn't distinct enough for it to be easily seen, regardless of your display settings. Especially as this is usually with a background of a bright sky. If green (or some other colour) was used to highlight the currently selected implement it would be a lot clearer.
My bold, but I can see the difference on mine quite clearly, so the OP has an issue with his/her display settings. That said, you're right in that a different highlight colour (or even use hollow vs filled graphics with the same colour scheme) could make it clearer for some people.
It's not really an issue with my settings. If anything, my brightness isn't the problem. In other games where you have to adjust the brightness when you first run it, I typically have to increase the brightness in game, to see the emblem or logo. I've never had to turn the brightness down in a game for that reason.

The issue is more one of color. The colors are simply too similar and that makes it difficult to differentiate.

It's essentially too mild a difference, so it becomes more of a challenge to differentiate two colors.

Which you can see in the above statement. 4000BF and 4000FF are barely different at all. Which can be really hard to distinguish.

Ritchie gets it exactly. White and Light Gray are really bad colors to try to differentiate a difference on small icons. Especially on a TV screen, even one as close as 5 feet from your chair.

Honestly, it doesn't seem like a huge problem to just switch out the Light Gray to a Dark Gray. Not a huge difference in color, but a significant difference in visibility.

Going from something like this on an unselected implement to something like this on a selected implement is a big difference.

As big a difference as Dark Gray to White vs Light Gray to White.
Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

As i mentioned before, the issue is made worse when the background behind the white/light grey is that of a bright sky. Therefore moving the icon to the lower right or left of the screen would improve the situation. I've done this with the mod that allows you to move the implenment icon to whatever corner you like and it definitely helps the situation (PC only though). The contrast on console is worse than PC I'd note, I play both PS4 and PC through the same TV and there is a marked difference.
It's not a big issue TBH but something that could be improved either in a patch or in the next FS game.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Stegei wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:52 am These are the color codings of the vehicle setup scheme on the top left:
Gray: Not selected, not turned on
White: Selected, not turned on
Dark Orange: Not selected, turned on
Bright Orange: Selected, tuned on

Only a single vehicle/implemented can be selected at the same time.
The selection is important, if inputs of different vehicles/implements are overlapping (e.g. the lower implement when you have a front and a back implement attached). In that case, you need to select the implement you want to adjust and then press the input.
If an input is only used by the vehicle or a single implement, the input will always be applied to that vehicle/implement, no matter which selection you have.
Usually, the vehicle can not be selected when you have just regular implement attached, because in that case, non of the inputs of the vehicle (horn, light, acceleration, etc.) overlap with the inputs of the implements. However in some configurations, it might be needed to also select the vehicle itself.

If you can't see the differences between the different color, you should try setting up the TV better (not having it setup correctly will also make the rest of the game look bad). The game mode in some TVs can help, or using the PC mode. The issue can also happen if you set the TV brightness too high, where it will start mapping all relatively bright colors to almost the same brightness as the TV doesn't have a high enough peak brightness to map the full range. We will however also investigate, if there are some options on our side to improve this in the future.
Never noticed until you mentioned something. Made on the next installment pick some colors that will stand out a little more.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.