Forestry Tycoon Discussion

SimpleFarmer

Forestry Tycoon Discussion

Post by SimpleFarmer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:05 pm

I'm currently doing a start from scratch on Geiselsberg doing logging, and I was thinking about what to do with the land once it is cleared. Also, with the release of a bunch of logging equipment lately, I think there are more people doing this rn who might have some thoughts on it.
I don't really plan on farming (might or might not) but I for sure won't need all the acreage I am clearing.
A) I could keep it - I worked out that I make about 2.5x the price of the land off of the trees, so keeping it isn't going to kill me.
B) Sell it back - seems a little too much like profiteering. Although it does make sense in some cases, logged property can sell for as much or more than before you logged it because of added roads, better views and that it's cleared. To an agricultural farmer, a cleared piece of land is worth more than one with trees and stumps perhaps.
Some things I thought of were to just clear the stumps, smooth, and plow the acreage and then sell it. Sort of like develop the acreage. I wouldn't mind putting some money back into the acreage so to speak, but I think it would be lame just to throw money out after the sale.
Cool ideas anyone?
Console user

Crazof

Re: Forestry Tycoon Discussion

Post by Crazof » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:34 am

Depending on your time frame you could try replanting trees. Maybe you could come up with enough blocks to allow you to rotate through them, every year moving to a new block

Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:39 am

I got this idea from Daggerwin's video, and I'll put a link down below, but I haven't done it myself because I haven't had the time. What you can do is clear the land, then lease or buy a plow and plow all of it up. Then create parallel strips of grass across your field 6 meters apart for each row. Then plant trees on those grass strips, and plant a crop in between. You can put multiple crops within the same area, and you can still have a forestry focus. The 6 meter width is interchangable as long as you have a planter and header that are identical width to plant and harvest between your growing trees. A very effective method that allows you to have a different job once in a while.

Agroforestry
Dairy Farmer. John Deere. Dairydeere!
FS 17 on PS4; FS 19 on Epic Games

Current Saves:
Medicine Creek-2.75 hrs.
Geiselsberg-2.25 hrs.
New Woodshire-YT Channel
If you never ask, the answer is always no.
Have fun with the farmin’!

SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:57 am

These are both pretty good ideas. I could do actual forestry and have a cycle. I think in seasons they take for (frickin) ever to grow though. (like 12 or 24 in game years right?) That might be too long.
Side Q: has anyone turned off seasons before and let the trees grow and then turn it back on? I wonder what that would do.
Console user

Crazof

Post by Crazof » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:36 am

In 17 is was 10 yes or so for trees with seasons, I thought it was changed to 5 for 19

Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:36 am

You could also do poplars in the agroforest plot, and just plant normal trees everywhere else
Dairy Farmer. John Deere. Dairydeere!
FS 17 on PS4; FS 19 on Epic Games

Current Saves:
Medicine Creek-2.75 hrs.
Geiselsberg-2.25 hrs.
New Woodshire-YT Channel
If you never ask, the answer is always no.
Have fun with the farmin’!

Crazof

Post by Crazof » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:53 am

From the seasons manual

Vanilla growth is completely disabled. The mod controls all growth of crops, including pine trees, which take 5 years to become fully grown and harvestable after 2 years since you planted them

DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:14 am

Crazof wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:36 am
In 17 is was 10 yes or so for trees with seasons, I thought it was changed to 5 for 19
In 17 it is 5 years. In 19 it is also 5 years.