9RX on consoles

Thedebe48

Re: 9RX on consoles

Post by Thedebe48 »

this_is_gav wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:00 pm
vondeylenfarms wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:40 pm We do ask alot of them...but that's why we pay for the game and season pass. I don't feel bad asking for this since modders are doing it with ease lately. Simple toggle in the options screen from EU to US...
It's not an EU vs US thing. Different countries (including different EU countries) have different specifications and regulations, different warnings, warnings in different places, shapes, wheels and so on. If GIANTS make German and US versions then they'll be ignoring a host of other regional specifications.

Might be best to simply have warning signs as an option (as they're the most obvious difference) but leave other local differences. I suspect that would go a long way to please all.
I guess I kind of disagree with you. I don't really think picking at the semantics of it and saying "why should the US and German players get their warning signs if the rest of us can't". Well, it's because Germany and US/Canada are the two largest geographical fan bases in the game. This game is supposed to be a simulator. The simulation aspect of the game is legitimized when we're using equipment that is realistic for the map we're farming in (If you like to play that way, not everyone does).

And how would you have warning signs as an option without leaving out the local differences? That's the entire point we're trying to make. There are a lot of us that will feel less inclined to buy this DLC if the only option is to use the version with the red stripes. Because that ignores and even larger host of their 'regional specifications'.
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

It is kind of odd, that The DLC features products aimed towards a North American and Australian market, but the 9RX with it's warning labels does not. These are the things that if Farming Simulator wants to target their audience better, needs to realize. My 2 cents. But they've built a decent game franchise selling millions of copies and I have not, so I digress.

In the end, I'm and American and I play on Euro maps, so bring on this 9RX!
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Thedebe48 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:37 pm I guess I kind of disagree with you. I don't really think picking at the semantics of it and saying "why should the US and German players get their warning signs if the rest of us can't". Well, it's because Germany and US/Canada are the two largest geographical fan bases in the game. This game is supposed to be a simulator. The simulation aspect of the game is legitimized when we're using equipment that is realistic for the map we're farming in (If you like to play that way, not everyone does).

And how would you have warning signs as an option without leaving out the local differences? That's the entire point we're trying to make. There are a lot of us that will feel less inclined to buy this DLC if the only option is to use the version with the red stripes. Because that ignores and even larger host of their 'regional specifications'.
I take your point but GIANTS have offices in Switzerland, Germany and Czechia and soon in the US and who knows where else in the future. It's a multicultural company and to exclude certain areas while adding just the US isn't a particularly smart long-term strategy for continued growth.

Looking at mod groups, the American modding scene is one of the smallest and the Eastern European is one of the biggest. While the number of American players are presumably growing, it's probably still true that that Europe as a whole has more players and certainly more modders by an enormous amount.

As I said, the biggest visual difference between the current in-game vehicles and some other areas is the warning signs. Simply removing them (and things like the big German warning on the Claas Dominator) would go a long way as the vast majority of other players won't notice the more subtle changes. Remember probably 90% of players aren't the hardcore type or know much about farming, let alone the smaller differences in vehicles or even dozens of implement brands.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Or it could be a smart move and get a better relationship with the American community and get more American modders to the game.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
garyst

Post by garyst »

They don't have to put the American smv triangle and flasher bars as an option to make me want to use the 9rx on my farm, just include an option to remove the Euro placards so the tractor can just look basic and I would be happy with it.
Thedebe48

Post by Thedebe48 »

I understand what you're saying. Seems that essentially we all want the same thing, to be able to play the game with an accurately labeled vehicle. And those who are alienated because of being in a smaller country shouldn't be forced to play with only German and American models.

Honest question here; Are the red strip/square warning signs just for Germany? Or do any other countries use this? Because if it is just Germany, that actually bothers me even more regarding how Giants has been handling their model developments.

To the best of my knowledge all of the US and Canada use the orange/red triangle signs to signal a slow moving vehicle.
Ravenblade86

Post by Ravenblade86 »

this_is_gav wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:23 pm
Ravenblade86 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:06 pm Straw Harvest is being released as a mod for FS19 as far as I'm aware, it's just undergoing the same sort of testing as Seasons got because of the new features it adds. In FS17 is a third party dlc which Giants allowed as the team won the mod contest if I understand things correctly?
The last part isn't true. They never took part in the FS17 Mod Contest nor were they in the proposals or voting for third party DLCs and it wasn't released through GIANTS either (it was published through AeroSoft).

The only ones chosen were MattXJS who created the Modern Classics DLC released by GIANTS, and Team FSI who still haven't created their proposed DLC.
I stand corrected then if that is the case, but either way they have some sort of connection with Giants that allowed them to release a 3rd party dlc in FS17, but it's coming out as a free mod this time.

I'm also still hoping to see that DLC from Team FSI as it might give root crop harvesting some much-needed attention if it ever sees the light of da.

Regarding the 9RX being the European version, for one thing, we obviously don't know what customisation options it will have yet, but do we know if Giants actually have the rights to JD's American equipment? Or do they just have an agreement with JD's European branch?
Thedebe48

Post by Thedebe48 »

Ravenblade86 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:04 pm
this_is_gav wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:23 pm
Ravenblade86 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:06 pm Straw Harvest is being released as a mod for FS19 as far as I'm aware, it's just undergoing the same sort of testing as Seasons got because of the new features it adds. In FS17 is a third party dlc which Giants allowed as the team won the mod contest if I understand things correctly?
The last part isn't true. They never took part in the FS17 Mod Contest nor were they in the proposals or voting for third party DLCs and it wasn't released through GIANTS either (it was published through AeroSoft).

The only ones chosen were MattXJS who created the Modern Classics DLC released by GIANTS, and Team FSI who still haven't created their proposed DLC.
I stand corrected then if that is the case, but either way they have some sort of connection with Giants that allowed them to release a 3rd party dlc in FS17, but it's coming out as a free mod this time.

I'm also still hoping to see that DLC from Team FSI as it might give root crop harvesting some much-needed attention if it ever sees the light of da.

Regarding the 9RX being the European version, for one thing, we obviously don't know what customisation options it will have yet, but do we know if Giants actually have the rights to JD's American equipment? Or do they just have an agreement with JD's European branch?
I'm going to assume they have the rights to the American versions. The in-game versions of the S790 combine and the 645FD draper header are North American units. red/orange triangles.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:52 pm Or it could be a smart move and get a better relationship with the American community and get more American modders to the game.
Anything which encourages modders and modding talent around the world would be great, as would more community interaction.

Thedebe48 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:58 pm Honest question here; Are the red strip/square warning signs just for Germany? Or do any other countries use this? Because if it is just Germany, that actually bothers me even more regarding how Giants has been handling their model developments.
I can't specifically speak for individual countries (there are 51 of them, 27 of which are in the European Union) but the UK doesn't have them and if you look at images of the farmer protest in the Netherlands (which borders Germany) last autumn most of their tractors don't have the red and white warning signs (though most have the speed sticker and a red reflective sign).
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

this_is_gav wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:42 pm
Thedebe48 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:37 pm I guess I kind of disagree with you. I don't really think picking at the semantics of it and saying "why should the US and German players get their warning signs if the rest of us can't". Well, it's because Germany and US/Canada are the two largest geographical fan bases in the game. This game is supposed to be a simulator. The simulation aspect of the game is legitimized when we're using equipment that is realistic for the map we're farming in (If you like to play that way, not everyone does).

I take your point but GIANTS have offices in Switzerland, Germany and Czechia and soon in the US and who knows where else in the future. It's a multicultural company and to exclude certain areas while adding just the US isn't a particularly smart long-term strategy for continued growth.

Looking at mod groups, the American modding scene is one of the smallest and the Eastern European is one of the biggest. While the number of American players are presumably growing, it's probably still true that that Europe as a whole has more players and certainly more modders by an enormous amount.

As I said, the biggest visual difference between the current in-game vehicles and some other areas is the warning signs. Simply removing them (and things like the big German warning on the Claas Dominator) would go a long way as the vast majority of other players won't notice the more subtle changes. Remember probably 90% of players aren't the hardcore type or know much about farming, let alone the smaller differences in vehicles or even dozens of implement brands.
What makes you think the American mod scene is tiny? Because their stuff doesn’t make the mod hub or even get sent there? There are tons of Facebook pages public and private groups you can join who pump out tons of great mods. Just cause you don’t see it, or more likely don’t look, doesn’t mean it’s not happening. Also I will challenge you on you accusing them of a poor strategy of long term growth and I will put it on really easy terms. The Chicago metro area alone is 1/4 the size of Poland, a fifth of the size of Ukraine, half the size of Romania, and bigger than Bulgaria and Slovakia, and the same size as Hungary and Belarus. I think it’s pretty easy to see where a huge potential market is and why they are making the decision to set up a new office in Chicago and possibly push more American style stuff.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

this_is_gav wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:14 pm Anything which encourages modders and modding talent around the world would be great, as would more community interaction.
I would agree with that statement.
Last edited by Illinois Farmer on Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Thedebe48

Post by Thedebe48 »

"What makes you think the American mod scene is tiny?"

That's a good point as well. I'm pretty sure Custom Modding, Blacksheep Modding, and Steenkamp Modding, who almost exclusively make North American models, are three of the most downloaded modders in the entire ModHub.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Mwal wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:15 pm What makes you think the American mod scene is tiny? Because their stuff doesn’t make the mod hub or even get sent there? There are tons of Facebook pages public and private groups you can join who pump out tons of great mods. Just cause you don’t see it, or more likely don’t look, doesn’t mean it’s not happening. Also I will challenge you on you accusing them of a poor strategy of long term growth and I will put it on really easy terms. The Chicago metro area alone is 1/4 the size of Poland, a fifth of the size of Ukraine, half the size of Romania, and bigger than Bulgaria and Slovakia, and the same size as Hungary and Belarus. I think it’s pretty easy to see where a huge potential market is and why they are making the decision to set up a new office in Chicago.
Because you can probably count the decent from-scratch American modders on one hand. There's no way to prove it, but if the ratio of modders to players in America is similar to that in Europe I would eat my hat (figuratively speaking, just in case GIANTS come in here to prove me wrong! :mrgreen:).

I won't count private mods as every country has those and you can't count relatively simple mod-edits or conversions. Most of the decent American mods are on YesMods, a site I regularly visit, which primarily focuses on American mods, though not exclusively.

I'm not arguing that the American market doesn't have strong growth potential, that would be folly, just that every game after FS2011 has focused on that market to a degree and that there's strong growth potential (possibly more so than America) in other areas too.

If you're going to compare figures then India and China alone account for 37% of the world's population, let alone the rest of Asia. Africa has about four times the population. Europe has twice as many residents than America, many areas of which haven't been explored. There's plenty of areas with potential elsewhere which hasn't had any attention yet.

But for the record, I didn't say it was a poor strategy to set up base in America, I said it was a poor long-term strategy to limit themselves to American and German content at the cost of everyone else.
Thedebe48

Post by Thedebe48 »

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that a farming simulator game isn't going to be a large hit in India and China. I would not consider those to be growth areas at all. Just because there are people there doesn't mean there is a market for this game. The largest markets for this game are the United States, Brazil & Argentina, the EU, South Africa and Australia because they have the most advanced agriculture practices in the world and the kind of equipment that is used in the game can replicate the practices that can be observed in everyday life in these areas. China and India, for the most part, simply would not apply.
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

https://youtu.be/OXWMHxT6cNw
Looks like I'll finally be able to actually simulate this film. Had been using the quadtrack. Not sure if we have this auger wagon in the game tho.