Looking for recommendations for a Seasons map

TurboJ

Looking for recommendations for a Seasons map

Post by TurboJ »

I'm slightly OCD so I need my map to feel 'just right' to be able to do a long term playthrough on it.

So I'm hoping you guys would help me find a good European Seasons map. Preferrably Eastern Europe or Scandinavia.
Two important things: variable terrain height (no flat maps please) and a good spot to build my own farm yard. I don't like to play on pre-made yards.

The best thing would be a map with somewhat 'run down' feel to it, as that would fit well with the older machinery I am looking to use on there.

Thanks are due to everyone who replies :hi:
Ravenblade86

Re: Looking for recommendations for a Seasons map

Post by Ravenblade86 »

I was going to suggest Geiselburg when you said you didn't want a flat map, but I don't think it would fit the run down feel or be that easy to build your own farm (the way the farm yards are done means you can't totally clear them).

Maybe Babrosty would be a good one to look at it? I've not played on it myself, but from what I've seen it's one I'm keen to try myself at some point. Set in Eastern Europe with nice rolling terrain, looks stunning, has a wide range of field sizes (some of them are very big!) and has an interesting feature where it has plots of lands that you can buy which look like fields on the map but you need to actually plough them to create fields yourself.
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

Osina would be good for everything you require except build your own farm. However, there are a lot of big fields so I suppose it is more than possible. I just use the in game farm layout. The fields have nice undulations with rolling terrrain and elevation differences. The sale points all look like they were built 40-50 years ago, and are dingy and wore down looking. It is based in and actual town of Osina-Wielka, Poland in Eastern Europe. I enjoy it myself, because it feels as real as any map can as there is a big valley that runs down the west-central side of the map from north to south. There are also tons or details. I could go on and on, as I love the map a lot. There are also anything from tiny fields to one big humongous (70+ hectare) field. And it is seasons ready.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
TurboJ

Post by TurboJ »

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I'd like to ask if either of these maps have proper winter textures for bushes and such?

And how about contracts?

(both maps sound tempting so this is definitely a good start!)
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

TurboJ wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:15 pm Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I'd like to ask if either of these maps have proper winter textures for bushes and such?

And how about contracts?

(both maps sound tempting so this is definitely a good start!)
I'm not particularly sure about bushes in winter on Osina. I haven't run through a whole season on Osina yet. I've been in spring, and the foliage looks spot on. When it comes to missions. They are good, and there are a ton of them. Harvesting missions have a decent payout, and you can keep a decent amount of grain from each, if you want to start off by just being a contract farmer. That is actually my main source of income, with over 50 fields. Old equipment and new each look right at home on this map. I have all old, right now, but will transition over time to a decent mix of both.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
TurboJ

Post by TurboJ »

Thanks! I will surely give it a look!
Ravenblade86

Post by Ravenblade86 »

Unfortunately, I can't answer that question about Babrosty as I haven't played it myself lol I know it has a seasons mask, but I'm not sure if they have included winter textures for trees and the like and I'm not sure on the contract front either.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Maybe Goliszew. Polish multifruit map, but I don’t know if it’s for console
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
TurboJ

Post by TurboJ »

Once again, thanks for your suggestions!

I've been looking at maps for the entire evening but I don't seem to find one that's fully Seasons-integrated. FWIW I'm on PC so the map doesn't necesserily have to be on the official Modhub.

Many maps I see look to be very good in their own right, but seeing lush green bushes, shrubberies, hedges and flowers in full bloom in the middle of the winter just doesn't work for me. I know it must be a lot of work for a modder to implement different textures for each season, but surely someone has done it? For me, realism is the whole point of playing Seasons.

I guess I will have to widen the location palette so to speak.

Last I was playing on the Fenton Forest 4X map, and that one had the full Seasons experience graphically speaking. However, as I've now played 300+ hours on Germany-based locations I do wish for a change. And, North American based locations just don't fit my wanted machinery either.

So maybe someone knows of a high quality map that's not Germany or NA, and has full Seasons integration?

Thanks again.
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

I've been thinking to try a new map myself - kind of what you are looking for. For me realism is the most important thing, followed by ability to make my own farm. Usually any old field works with the right amount of leveling tool. I was thinking of trying the South American map - I've never actually played it or even been on it. I wonder if the hot climate would make it hard to grow stuff on. I suppose I could just load in my favorite GEO and life would go on... Chedly just about has me convinced to try Osina; I kind of want to see those undulations :)
For you, I would recommend Geiselsberg. I have spent so many hours there, so I think I'll give it a rest, but it is a good combo of detail, realism, and functionality. You say you're tired of German maps, so you might have to come back to this one. If you do want to play it, I would recommend avoiding the starting farm areas if you want to build your own (like me) they are half built in to the map. I just go up to the north part and flatten a small field. Also, I casually avoid the few ponds at the bottom of the map because they have a weird glint to them that gets annoying. I don't know of any non-console maps, and you're on a PC, so this discussion will hopefully go on for you.
TurboJ

Post by TurboJ »

Thanks everyone. After taking a good look at my options, I ended up starting a new career on Kvisslingby, Sweden. The Seasons preparation on this map is very thorough; basically all of the plants and foliage have season-specific textures. The map is also very detailed and realistic. Downside is it does take lots of PC power to run it properly, but then it is one of the best looking maps I've seen. (sadly no console release and I don't think one is planned either). You can check YesMods for a good review of the map along with a download link.

There's something funny with the included GEO though, I'll discuss some questions on the 'Seasons' general topic. I do wish to get everything working fine, as this map really does feel like home.
anakai

Post by anakai »

I can recommend "Kvisslingby" a Swedish map that have a built in geo. the map maker even made the grass turn brownish in Winter. Great map.

The other is hinterkaifeck i play. The trees turn frozen in Winter, wich i don't like but still the map is great. Look them down on Yesmods site
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

Sussex farm is simply AWESOME.

Look on youtube (Mr Sealy made great videos on it) because this map needs some understanding about how things work prior to play it.

For the first time ever, I will hit the 200H on a map and I don't see when I will quit this map, so much possibility.
Has been dairy farmer - From Quebec, Canada
French is my first language, please excuse my English :-)
Tippwarrior

Post by Tippwarrior »

Miketeg wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:07 pm Sussex farm is simply AWESOME.

Look on youtube (Mr Sealy made great videos on it) because this map needs some understanding about how things work prior to play it.

For the first time ever, I will hit the 200H on a map and I don't see when I will quit this map, so much possibility.
Ooohhh sounds interesting. I currently have 60hours on Shamrock just can't seem to leave it go yet lol. Have a dairy farm with sheep and chickens to tie me over.

Interested to know what kind of equipment you run on Sussex Mike?
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Once Sandy Bay comes out, I plan to put quite a bit of time into it. Might not be on FS for a little while though
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!