Move FarmingSimulator19/Mods folder?

EjsingDuun

Move FarmingSimulator19/Mods folder?

Post by EjsingDuun »

Does anyone know if it is possible to move the FS19 foldere from MyGames to my other harddrive? I play on a laptop with 2 drives and my drive is getting quite full, so would to move it to the D drive
Any info would be helpful, i'm not a computer-shark :confusednew: :biggrin2:
this_is_gav

Re: Move FarmingSimulator19/Mods folder?

Post by this_is_gav »

You can move your whole documents folder quite easily if that's an option.

To do so right-click on the Documents folder go the Location tab and click move. Choose why you want the new Documents folder to be and it should move everything with it.

You can also change the location for just your mods by opening the C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My Games\FarmingSimulator2019\gameSettings.xml file in Notepad and changing the line:

Code: Select all

<modsDirectoryOverride active="false" directory="C:/Temp"/>
to

<modsDirectoryOverride active="true" directory="D:/mods"/>
(obviously change the "D:\Mods" directory to wherever you actually want your mods folder to be).
Guil

Post by Guil »

I knew I saw it somewhere in an XML but couldn't find where haha.
pizzaboyusa

Post by pizzaboyusa »

I did what the everything said but i still can get it to recognize where i put the folder i have an external HD that I'm moving the mods too. that is setup as drive e the folder I'm placing it in is E/games/fs19/mods. i changed the path in the gamessetting.xml. but when i try and load the game and download a mod it puts in the folder that i was setup by the games any help would be appreciated on what else i can try
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

pizzaboyusa wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:50 pm I did what the everything said but i still can get it to recognize where i put the folder i have an external HD that I'm moving the mods too. that is setup as drive e the folder I'm placing it in is E/games/fs19/mods. i changed the path in the gamessetting.xml. but when i try and load the game and download a mod it puts in the folder that i was setup by the games any help would be appreciated on what else i can try
Double check your path ... as you typed it here you've missed teh colon ... I'd expect E:/games/fs19/mods
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Guil

Post by Guil »

pizzaboyusa wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:50 pm I did what the everything said but i still can get it to recognize where i put the folder i have an external HD that I'm moving the mods too. that is setup as drive e the folder I'm placing it in is E/games/fs19/mods. i changed the path in the gamessetting.xml. but when i try and load the game and download a mod it puts in the folder that i was setup by the games any help would be appreciated on what else i can try
Easiest way is to go to your fs19 folder and right click on the mod folder, click properties and under the general tab it will list the location, highlight the path and press CTRL and C and then just paste that into the xml
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

Guil wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:48 pm
Easiest way is to go to your fs19 folder and right click on the mod folder, click properties and under the general tab it will list the location, highlight the path and press CTRL and C and then just paste that into the xml
But remember that Farm Sim only recognises forward-slash / and not back slash \

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Guil

Post by Guil »

blue_painted wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:07 pm
Guil wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:48 pm
But remember that Farm Sim only recognises forward-slash / and not back slash \
You're mistaken, this is the line from my xml
<modsDirectoryOverride active="true" directory="E:\My Games\FS19 mods\FSN maps\M FSN mods/"/>
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

Guil wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:07 pm
blue_painted wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:07 pm But remember that Farm Sim only recognises forward-slash / and not back slash \
You're mistaken, this is the line from my xml
<modsDirectoryOverride active="true" directory="E:\My Games\FS19 mods\FSN maps\M FSN mods/"/>
Oh yes, I see what you mean ... I was sure forward-slashes was in FS17, and in i3d files.

Guil

Post by Guil »

No idea
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

The "easiest" way to do this would be via symbolic links.

Go into your farming simulator folder in documents. (Documents --> My Games

Cut (not copy) FarmingSimulator2019 directory and paste it to your other drive (right click on FarmingSimulator2019 and click Cut then navigate to your other drive and directory, right click and choose Paste).

Let's imagine that you are going to use a folder on your D drive called Games. Paste into this folder.

Now you should have no FarmingSimulator2019 in Documents --> My Games. On your D drive you should have Games --> FarmingSimulator2019

Click on the cortana search bar (or hit the Windows key) and type command. Command Prompt should appear at the top. Right click on this and choose Run as Administrator. Click yes, or authenticate yourself

Now type in the following , but do bear in mind that you need to substitute some parts of this to match your system. There is a multitude of ways to copy the path itself and paste it into command prompt that I won't go into here, or you can just type it all out yourself.

I am assuming that your documents folder is on the default C drive. You need to substitute USER with your own User name.

mklink /J "C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\FarmingSimulator2019" D:\Games\FarmingSimulator2019
The command should give no errors and say something like Junction created for SOURCE <<===>> DESTINATION

It is basically

mklink /J SOURCE DESTINATION
The reason for surrounding the first path with "" is because there is a space in My Games.

If you look into Documents --> My Games in Explorer you should see what looks like a shortcut named FarmingSimulator2019. But it's much more powerful than a normal windows shortcut and to applications it looks and works like a directory. If you click on it, you should be taken to your moved FarmingSimulator2019 folder on the D drive.

Run the game to make sure everything works. There is no reason for it to not work, but if it does not, then you can always move (cut and paste) FarmingSimulator2019 from the D drive back to My Games under Documents on the C drive.
Matt26

Post by Matt26 »

I have moved the folder to another drive and in my case the path looks like this.

<modsDirectoryOverride active="true" directory="D:/mods/all0"/>
Show a photo or location of what it looks like at your place.