Storing Manure

redglasses

Re: Storing Manure

Post by redglasses »

Same here but most of the time manure is stored for winter and hauled around when the snow is gone and the fields dry up.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

I try to play realistically so this is great info about the subject. Thanks!
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Another reason for not spreading straight from the shed is that manure needs to start to rot down for most benefit to the field. It's not unusual for it to be left for a year or so before spreading.
Old McGlenno

Post by Old McGlenno »

redglasses wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:20 pm
chedly_farms wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:34 pm On Marwell you have to muck the barn out yourself, so I muck it out into tippers and dump in fields that I need to put manure down in. Usually in spring before planting and cultivating, or in fall after harvest. And then when I spread, I don’t have to make 15 trips to the barn. So, tractor, tipper, spreader, some type of loader.
This is probably the most realistic way of doing it, I know around here that is what they do in the spring, they'll haul it out to the grass fields and spread it when the ground dries up a bit.
I'm still a bit confused about the logistics of this. How is the manure hauled out to the field? It sounds like it is hauled out in a tipper and then dumped on the ground. I start to get confused here. Does this mean you have to bring a loader and transfer the manure to a spreader? It seems like an extra step in there, but maybe it will make sense once I actually try it. Less trips back and forth I suppose?
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Irl sometimes we pile it with our spreader, but I don't think the game physics work that way, so yes you would have to use a topper. They load it with a loader later on.

Edit: irl the animals still need to be cleaned and bedded, so where can you haul the manure if all your fields are planted and growing? That's why it gets piled up somewhere else to be used after harvest.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

Confusion is gooood m'kay? 😂

Tippers are used yes, and then a loader of sorts, tele or smaller wheel loader. Tractor with a Front loader is possible too, but takes more time, especially if it's a multi use tractor (ie both loading and spreading).

Just don't use your newest grain trailer for it. Manure is heavy stuff
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
SandyBay19

Post by SandyBay19 »

george.earlslight wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:28 pm I try to play realistically so this is great info about the subject. Thanks!
If you want to play realistically, play simply...
When manure silos are full at the farm, make stucks between fields and the road, that’s how French farmers do :)
Playing on PS4
FS11/15/17/19

Ski Region Simulator
Old McGlenno

Post by Old McGlenno »

This has been a great discussion, thanks everyone. Very helpful and informative.
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

for the price of manure at the bga, sell it and use the digestate or sell that also and use solid fertlizer
george.earlslight

I did some more research on the subject and learned that using "manure injectors" (different wording of in-game slurry cultivators) is probably the best way to apply manure.
It generates better nitrogen retention in the soil and doesn't stir the topsoil too much, so it can be combined with no-till techniques.
Some farmers reported 3-4tons/ha better yield on maize silage, so they think the extra equipment cost is justified since they also need less nitrogen.
All this comes from my couch-farmer research, of course, any real-life farmer's feedback would be welcome.
Illinois Farmer

Yes injecting slurry into ther ground is better than putting it on top. Your orginally post was about solid manure not liquid that why no one said that, but you still need to store it until a field is available to apply the slurry.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
george.earlslight

Illinois Farmer wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:32 pm Yes injecting slurry into ther ground is better than putting it on top. Your orginally post was about solid manure not liquid that why no one said that, but you still need to store it until a field is available to apply the slurry.
Sorry about jumping around on solid/liquid manure. I was happy that I learnt something and wanted to share and ask if I got that right.
I searched about manure and it seems that USA farmers are not using the word slurry.
Illinois Farmer

That's cause we just say solid or liquid manure.
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

Yeah, can be a bit confusing, manure is manure is manure isn't manure :P
Solid and liquid manure, usualy in europe differenciadet by manure and slurry.
And to complicate it a bit, you can come actross wet manure aswell :P From my understanding that is the slam from the slurrytank, though i haven't been inwolved with that, so have no knowledge other than that it have been used by a couple of farmers arround here.

And, ofcourse you got digestate, and then you got hwp human waste product
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
Old McGlenno

Post by Old McGlenno »

Slurry does have a decidedly British sound to it...