Bourgault XR770 Harrow

Thedebe48

Bourgault XR770 Harrow

Post by Thedebe48 »

I find it really odd that Giants is adding this in the DLC Pack under the 'weeder' category. In the real world, if you pulled a harrow over your planted crop it would likely destroy it... Tools like this are mainly used for managing excess field residue after harvest and prior to seeding. If anything it should be listed as a cultivator.

I'm really disappointed that something like this was overlooked. I understand this likely won't get addressed prior to release, but I'd really like to see this fixed at some point.
Dairydeere

Re: Bourgault XR770 Harrow

Post by Dairydeere »

I think I'm ok with Giants classing it as a weeder because we run a harrow IRL and we use it to smooth a seedbed, but we also use it on alfalfa, I think the weeder classification is as close as they can get
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I think it looks like a drag to get hooked up behind the disc to get that nice seed bed.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Thedebe48

Post by Thedebe48 »

Dairydeere wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:45 pm I think I'm ok with Giants classing it as a weeder because we run a harrow IRL and we use it to smooth a seedbed, but we also use it on alfalfa, I think the weeder classification is as close as they can get
Man, I just really disagree. Seedbed prep is completely different than what I understand a 'weeder' to be. We run a harrow at our place too, not on alfalfa but over wheat straw usually. It just irks me when they show it in their promo pictures being run through a field of a production crop to remove weeds... That would not be a wise decision.

Though it would definitely be used to remove weeds prior to planting. But if I do that, the game is still going to make me run a cultivator over the land before I can run a planter on it. Which is completely ridiculous in terms of sustainable agriculture and responsible soil management.
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

I think they just wanted it in the game and rather than create a new section for it like light tillage or something that would just incorporate fert/lime and spread straw, which really is what the needed to do to make it correct, they "invented" a use for it.

At no point in the real world would someone use it as an in crop weeder.

The only time I would consider using it is if it works like herbicide after seeding but before crop emergence since you can harrow then, not for weeds but that is the only time window reality would meet the game for this tool. Otherwise I will never use it.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
Eische

Post by Eische »

With the correct tine setup it will pretty much be the same as the Treffler weeder which is in the base game.
Just because it is not commonly used as a weeder, does not mean that it could not be used as one.

I'm glad Giants adds a larger weeder with this one.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
ThatCanadianGuy

Well I can confirm, if you are using seasons, this thing is 100% useless.

It's to bad, it looks really good.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Those are full grown weeds. A weeder won't work on those.
Last edited by Bryan83 on Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

ThatCanadianGuy wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:29 am Well I can confirm, if you are using seasons, this thing is 100% useless.

It's to bad, it looks really good.
You can only use a weeder in the 2 first grow stages.. Those are fully grown - need herbicide *thumbsup*
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick
ThatCanadianGuy

Yes thanks guys, not my first day. I wanted to try it (because someone will ask at some point) to see if they did something different with this to make it useful.
Phigo

Post by Phigo »

It will be usefull if you use it Right. A car is not the Right Vehicle if I want to go to the states from europe. But to get to work it is (one of some vehicles but that is a whole other Story). I hope I can use that at some Point.
PS4 und PC
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

IlTo your point it just so happens this is the right tool for working fields after small grains to break up straw and spread straw to make it decompose faster hahaha. Either way I don’t really care I’m just happy about the big drill.
Richard Dower

Post by Richard Dower »

In the context of FS22, with the addition of mulching and seedbed, does it still make sense for Giants to have this as a weeder?

IRL this is used as a harrow to mix up material left on the field after harvesting, to loosen the soil.

What in game functionality should this be listed under, in the context of FS22?
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

No it didn't make sense in fs19. It is a drag and not a weeder. I said that when it was released.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

I personally think cultivator, Giants needs to divide heavy and light tillage when it comes to cultivators. Yup, still stupid I can’t use it to work in my fertilizer haha