Large Animal Pastures

Old McGlenno

Large Animal Pastures

Post by Old McGlenno »

I was just wondering why there are such limited options available in terms of placing very large animal areas. I'm talking about really big open pastures for cows and sheep.

https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019

The mod linked above is the best and only example of what I am talking about that is currently available on console. I'm wondering whether this is a technical limitation or just a lack of interest. For me, it would be so much more immersive if there were large areas for my animals to roam.

I was thinking it would be so cool to have the option to "paint" and area to define as a pasture. This would define the area where the animals would be restricted to. We could then place fences around that area as we wish. We could also add placeable food troughs etc to the area. I would assume this is something that could be included in the next version of the game, but I know nothing about what would and would not be possible. Does anyone with modding knowledge have any insight into whether or not something like this would be possible in the future?
cwattyeso

Re: Large Animal Pastures

Post by cwattyeso »

I would say options are limited due to not many modders wanting to make great/huge animal pens for placeables because of how awkward placeables are to make, with the needed areas to clear and flatten for the terrain system. Large pens are going to run into the problem of "Object Collides with other Item" or "Terrain can not be Deformed Here" messages. Also outside of PC there is no way to fill large pens with more then the game's default limit of 500 animals, which makes really large pens look really empty.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*
Old McGlenno

Post by Old McGlenno »

Thanks for the answer. But to your point about the pens feeling empty, that is kind of a realistic look. I've never seen grazing cows standing shoulder to shoulder in the field.

But yeah, being able to paint a pasture would mean you don't need to flatten the terrain and could thus get a really natural look to the pasture (rolling hills, etc).
kinggorillakong

Post by kinggorillakong »

Modular pasture kits. 'nuff said.
Well that's a lie, but it doesn't seem like the game can properly support a modular pasture design that would let you setup nice sized pastures that fit the map without skewing and distorting the landscape because of how placeables work in-game. It would definitely be real nice if you could just place a barn, activate it, place your feed and water trays, mark where manure goes and install a slurry pit if needed, then put up a modular fence around the barn.

Sounds simple but after probing around the Giants Editor and looking at a lot of the mods out there, it seems like this design is intentionally not attempted.
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

So we are talking physically larger pen areas not just higher animal capacity?

If thats the case it could be hard to lay down a cow barn/pasture the size of a farm, taking up a lot of room for other things
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
Hallers

Post by Hallers »

A lot of the mappers inklude theese pastures now. Espesially for sheep pastures.