Getting calves in full barn in seasons.

humbe

Getting calves in full barn in seasons.

Post by humbe »

Hi..

Playing seasons here..

Trying to see what happens when my barn is full. I seem to have some trouble testing it out, but I have yet to see a message about barn being full, or getting a 51st cow or something..

It looks to me that a cow that gets a calf in 0.0 years, suddenly transition to 0.8 years without any calf being born. Is that correct? I guess that means that that cow won't produce milk either, so if I want my cows to produce as much milk as possible, I can't keep barn at capacity but need to clear away enough space for all calves that will be born soonish?

I see cows that do get a calf get a seasons counter of "timeSinceBirth". Cows that has yet to get a calf start at -99. Is it correct that cows give milk while timeSinceBirth is between 0 and X and does anyone know what X is? :)

Regards
JohnDeere77

Re: Getting calves in full barn in seasons.

Post by JohnDeere77 »

From the blog on realismus modding homesite:
"You can start to milk them for 10 months after the birth of a calf and then the cattle will have to be rested for 2 months during their dry period. This is just before they give birth. Currently, 3 months after the birth of a calf, the cow will be artificially inseminated again automatically."

Regarding what happens if barn is full, I dont know. My isnt full yet :-)
Plays on pc, hardmode and loves grinding
aklein

Post by aklein »

If the animal area is full then there will be no births. Its that simple. So its best to not keep it full. if you wish to maximize your potential leave head room for new births and either sell the calve right away or move them to a new pen but you must have room in the pen for the new birthed animal.
humbe

Post by humbe »

Yeah.. Guess I'll just have to leave space enough for most births, and then detect and sell of some and be ok with if I don't make enough headroom I might lose some births and await longer before that cow starts milking again.

Was hoping there was some warning, or at the very least when I didn't get to keep it, the mother would still start to produce milk. Doesn't look like it in savegame data as far as I can tell.

I also see it states that cows can die from getting too fat. Will they die faster if I feed them TMR all the time as they get heavier faster?

I guess I'll just starting to sell calves and try to get to 45 milking cows and leave 5 headroom, and see how it goes. Thanks for the input..
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

humbe wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:50 pm Yeah.. Guess I'll just have to leave space enough for most births, and then detect and sell of some and be ok with if I don't make enough headroom I might lose some births and await longer before that cow starts milking again.

Was hoping there was some warning, or at the very least when I didn't get to keep it, the mother would still start to produce milk. Doesn't look like it in savegame data as far as I can tell.

I also see it states that cows can die from getting too fat. Will they die faster if I feed them TMR all the time as they get heavier faster?

I guess I'll just starting to sell calves and try to get to 45 milking cows and leave 5 headroom, and see how it goes. Thanks for the input..
You could always set up a separate pasture. There are a couple on the modhub, fairly small. They don't require straw but don't produce milk or manure/slurry. I usually put one up to pen in my males until they fatten up to sell.

Or change the xml to hold more cows.
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

if your primary purpose for the cows is milk, simply sell the calves the moment they are born. consider whatever you get bonus money and move on. no need to feed and care for them.

occasionally keep one and sell one of your oldest cows, the young one can then take its place ( sell one that is not making milk)