How do one increase soil moisture to avoid drought?

humbe

How do one increase soil moisture to avoid drought?

Post by humbe »

I understand there's arid places in the world, where water is too scarce, and thus too expensive, to be used to irrigate fields. But I'm not playing in such a location.

Seasons apply random drought damage to fields if soil moisture is below 12% and I find no way of irrigating fields to counter it. I've only manage to find one irrigation mod, and for some strange reason that increases fertilization level instead of soil moisture. That's not irrigation at all even though it looks like it.

Turning crop moisture off in seasons don't affect drought. Only allows you to harvest wet crops. Not being able to do that sounds like a realistic limitation, but not allowing to water fields next to a river does not seem realistic.

Is there no mod I can use to increase soil moisture? Or as a last option, if I'm not allowed to irrigate, is there no option to turn of the drought?
eric21

Re: How do one increase soil moisture to avoid drought?

Post by eric21 »

What geo u using?
humbe

Post by humbe »

The default geo (I'm in Ravenport running 9 day seasons)
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Try using 3 day seasons to limit the drought or use a geo like a UK geo
Alagos

Post by Alagos »

the default GEO is UK based, so that shouldnt change much.
I assume people don't use Seasons, unless they say otherwise.

How to upload your >> log<<
How to upload >>images << to the forum
How to get your gamekey's activation limit >>reset<<
How to report a >> bug <<

>>Rules<<
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

Currently there is no real irrigation system available. You could check the seasons menu, where the drough resistant of each fruittype is listed and decide your croprotation uppon it. This probably won't remove the issue completly but it will limit it.
The Mod you mentioned was published before seasons so the modder couldn't make it seasons ready. Not sure though if it will be adjusted for seasons at some point. you could try to get in contact with da-hoffi, he's one of the mod authors and checks in this forum now and then.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
humbe

Post by humbe »

Good suggestion and thanks for the link.. I'll see if I can put in a feature request to da-hoffi.

I'm a bit surprised that a way to water fields hasn't already been implemented though. I have the impression that seasons is a pretty widely used mod.
Angryfarmer

Post by Angryfarmer »

The simplified geos dont have patchy crop failures. If your on pc you can edit the drought resistance of crops by editing the values in the xml file. I did this for potatoes as the PCF caused to many problems for workers harvesting.
humbe

Post by humbe »

Sounds like a possibly doable workaround if its get too annoying Angryfarmer. Talked to mod writer of irrigation system and he had already tried to talk with season writers but sounded like it stranded there..

I dont understand why theres an option to ignore harvest wet crop limitation that makes sense, but not drought that should be possible to help but there isnt any functionality in game for it..
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

humbe wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:12 am Sounds like a possibly doable workaround if its get too annoying Angryfarmer. Talked to mod writer of irrigation system and he had already tried to talk with season writers but sounded like it stranded there..

I dont understand why theres an option to ignore harvest wet crop limitation that makes sense, but not drought that should be possible to help but there isnt any functionality in game for it..
I use the regular GEO, but sometimes if I have bad weather coming up (like drought or too much rain, etc) I switch the days from like 6 to 12 or 24 and then back to 6 really quick and the weather forecast resets and gives you new weather. I do this as many times as I need to to get the rain to show up. Sometimes it's raining when you get back to 6. One thing to keep in mind is that when you switch it back to 6 the weather updates, so it's not really worthwhile to look at the weather in the other day setting that you switch to. Usually I get the weather I need in just a few resets. If you're really struggling to get the rain to fall, maybe try a new GEO with more rain, but I get the standard one to work just fine.
Farming_Steezus

Post by Farming_Steezus »

SimpleFarmer wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:19 pm
humbe wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:12 am Sounds like a possibly doable workaround if its get too annoying Angryfarmer. Talked to mod writer of irrigation system and he had already tried to talk with season writers but sounded like it stranded there..

I use the regular GEO, but sometimes if I have bad weather coming up (like drought or too much rain, etc) I switch the days from like 6 to 12 or 24 and then back to 6 really quick and the weather forecast resets and gives you new weather. I do this as many times as I need to to get the rain to show up. Sometimes it's raining when you get back to 6. One thing to keep in mind is that when you switch it back to 6 the weather updates, so it's not really worthwhile to look at the weather in the other day setting that you switch to. Usually I get the weather I need in just a few resets. If you're really struggling to get the rain to fall, maybe try a new GEO with more rain, but I get the standard one to work just fine.
Last time I swapped the number of days in seasons I swear it put me back to day 1 of the year so I’m kinda scared to mess with that lol.

@ op if you’re on ravenport try using one of the many American GEOs. It might not fix your drought issue but you’ll be able to find different GEOs that support the planting of different crops. It won’t give you irrigation but it will give you drought avoidance if you plan right.
Xbox one user
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

Farming_Steezus wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:00 pm
Last time I swapped the number of days in seasons I swear it put me back to day 1 of the year so I’m kinda scared to mess with that lol.

@ op if you’re on ravenport try using one of the many American GEOs. It might not fix your drought issue but you’ll be able to find different GEOs that support the planting of different crops. It won’t give you irrigation but it will give you drought avoidance if you plan right.
Either that or the game could crash. i always save before I do it. Last night it took forever though, I began to doubt my own theory. But eventually I got it to rain.