Straw Harvest Error

EuroFarming2019

Straw Harvest Error

Post by EuroFarming2019 »

Ever since I installed straw harvest into my game the snow on the ground has turned straw pellets. Is there any way to fix this error.
kwaka

Re: Straw Harvest Error

Post by kwaka »

Not until seasons or straw add on is updated with a fix. Just remove one of the mods until it is.
I had dry grass windrow on the ground when added straw mod and it turned to snow windrow.
wombles

Post by wombles »

I would uninstall Straw Harvest till you don't have any thing lying on the ground, then reinstall it.
Alagos

Post by Alagos »

There's no fix for this. It's related to basegame code.
Best advice is getting rid of all the snow =)
I assume people don't use Seasons, unless they say otherwise.

How to upload your >> log<<
How to upload >>images << to the forum
How to get your gamekey's activation limit >>reset<<
How to report a >> bug <<

>>Rules<<
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Get rid of every material on the ground before installing Straw Harvest. Snow, grass, straw, windrow, etc...
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
aklein

Post by aklein »

I put this in another topic but it holds here to give some background on the issue. its not a 'problem' with either seasons or straw harvest.

What you are seeing here is a byproduct of how the base game engine deals with something called height types (think of these as filltypes that you can tip to ground). The game engine has by default a set number of allowed height types. A mod map can adjust this number up and that is how maps with lots of multi-fruits that you can tip to ground work. Seasons adds 3 additional height types in semi dry grass, salt and snow. Straw harvest adds an additional 2 height types in hay and straw pellets. So with just seasons and straw harvest we have 5 new height types on top of the game items and any other multi fruit a map might have.

When you start a new save game the height types of the map and base game are indexed in one of your save game XML files. This way when the density height map file is created and updated during game play the various tip to ground items are recorded in this file and referenced via the index as to what they represent. so the index is sort of a legend to the density map.

When a mod is added to an existing save game that includes additional height types the save game adds them to the index, but this is where it can get sketchy. There is no assurance that the index will remain in the same order as before. This IMO is a fault of the game engine not reserving index values per height type at the start of the save game for the life of the save. As such when you add say seasons to the save game its always been possible that lets say salt appears where a different tip to ground item was located. For what ever reason it seems to occur with some regularity that if you have an existing save with seasons and you have hay or grass (not sure which ) on the ground and then add straw harvest the byproduct is the re-indexing of these height types and the result is what used to be hay/grass is now snow/salt.

This is not a defect of straw harvest nor of seasons but a byproduct of how the base game operates.

Interesting enough it might also be the order that things are activated in a save game. IE I didn't see this issue when I had a no seasons no straw harvest save that I added straw harvest to and then added seasons to at a later time. this seems to occur when seasons is active before straw harvest but again this is a technical byproduct of how the base game indexes and keeps track of height types in existing game saves and its lack of reserving existing height types and making sure any new ones are added to the end of the index.

The best practice to adding straw harvest is going to be to have nothing tip to ground on the map. no grass, straw, hay, silage, chaff or anything else on the ground in a heap or windrow or in a silage bunker. There is a risk of one of them converting to something else when adding any mod that includes new height types. Same with snow on the ground becoming straw pellets when adding this in the winter if there is snow on the ground.

Best thing for you to do is as mentioned launch the save with out straw harvest (hope you didnt save over top of this and have a backup) and collect all of the material off the ground first then activate it. then going forward you will be ok as new entries into the height density map will be based on the new index.
Simone Bones

Post by Simone Bones »

@aklein thanks for the explanation. Is there a way to change this list manually, to fix the problem? I don't like to start again at zero.
Alagos

Post by Alagos »

It's not possible. the list is remade every launch of the save afaik.
I assume people don't use Seasons, unless they say otherwise.

How to upload your >> log<<
How to upload >>images << to the forum
How to get your gamekey's activation limit >>reset<<
How to report a >> bug <<

>>Rules<<