How do I get around new save when updating map?

Azfoor

How do I get around new save when updating map?

Post by Azfoor »

As the title says. How do I get around needing a new save(starting over from scratch) when updating sertain maps? I now I heard of a way to copy xmls over to a new save so you don't need to start from scratch.. It's a pain to have to start over when you have 15-20h on a map.!
this_is_gav

Re: How do I get around new save when updating map?

Post by this_is_gav »

If the map is only a bug fix and the buildings and so on are still in their original location then you would start a new save (and save it obviously), exit the game, go to your C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My Games\FarmingSimulator2019\savegame* directory (the save game where your old save was) and copy all of the .xml files from that save to the new savegame* folder, overwriting all the new ones.

Even if the map update has some buildings in new locations you should still have all the old vehicles (though they might not be where you expect them!) and worst cast scenario is that you'll have to reset some. Chances are you won't though.

Either way all the terrain changes and foliage will be reset.

Perhaps keep the old map and savegames as backups if you prefer that, as you'll not be able to download it from ModHub again.
Azfoor

Post by Azfoor »

I don't think it's just that easy to just copy all the xmls.? Isn't it just sertain files?
Laughinggravy

Post by Laughinggravy »

Azfoor wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:40 am I don't think it's just that easy to just copy all the xmls.? Isn't it just sertain files?
Yes it's just as Gav says it's that easy even i can do it.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Azfoor wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:40 am I don't think it's just that easy to just copy all the xmls.? Isn't it just sertain files?
For a map update which only fixes bugs, yes you can copy all the XML files (not the other files though). You'll lose any extended farmland, fields and swathes and other tipped produce, but as long as the modder has only fixed bugs and hasn't changed the layout or names of places then you can just copy the XMLs and retain things like progress, money, stored crops, purchased land, equipment, placed buildings, bales and so on.

You can't copy the GDM, GRLE, GMSS or PNG files though. Well the PNG you might (it determines terrain height) depending on what the mapper has done with the update, but the rest all relate to the ground state, and if you need a new savegame then those are the files which are usually affected, and can't just be edited like the others can.

Like I say though, I'd keep a backup of your current save and the original maps before updating, just in case.

If it's a bigger update which extends or remodels areas then you might have less luck, but there's no harm in trying if you keep backups.
Azfoor

Post by Azfoor »

Oj I will try that *thumbsup* Thank you for helping :biggrin2: