Both
Old McGlenno

Re: Skid Steer vs Wheel Loader

Post by Old McGlenno »

I love how much I learn from you all *thumbsup*
Kimpak

Post by Kimpak »

Depends on what you're loading too. Skid steer is great in tight spaces, but the drawback is they can't lift too heavy of things or they tip over. There are modded skids out there that you can add weight to the back that work better for that. Vanilla game though, the telehandlers can lift a lot more and add weight to the back (with some mods). 4-wheel and crab steering help the manuvering a lot, they also have the added utility of having a hitch in the back so you can pull trailers or some implements around without needing another tractor to do it.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

CowsGoMoo wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:33 am Also I need a copy of that book Dairydeere is talking about.
443 pages of tractor history, even comes with a JD in the front! Had an essay last year and this was my primary source of info, still have some paper clips in it 🤣
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

The 100hp NH track loader is fantastic. So maneuverable and there's a lot of attachments.

CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

Dairydeere wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:24 am
CowsGoMoo wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:33 am Also I need a copy of that book Dairydeere is talking about.
443 pages of tractor history, even comes with a JD in the front! Had an essay last year and this was my primary source of info, still have some paper clips in it 🤣
I have one similar to that for JD but its more like a brief can over of history and only mentions the most popular production years of the most popular models from 30's to 00's. Very little technical data and pictures, it's actually kind of disappointing.
My long lost Janes guide to aircraft was more thorough.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

I've tried to like skid steers, I really have. They're extremely handy and useful IRL, but in the game, I always find I'm needing something more. More height, more weight, more speed... They're fun to drive though.

For me a telehandler is the handiest lifter in the game for a farm. Good with bales, pallets, pulls small trailers, decently fast, very maneuverable.

A wheel loader, for me, is reserved to those really big jobs, like a BGA or a very big cattle operation. Other than that, I find the articulation 'snap back' FS steering to make them difficult to use for tedious work like loading bales or pallets.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Old McGlenno

Post by Old McGlenno »

Riven326 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:45 pm The 100hp NH track loader is fantastic. So maneuverable and there's a lot of attachments.

After some test driving in the dealer lot, this is the one I'm going with, except with wheels I think. I wanted to like the old Massey but it has a really wide turn radius. I did like the old JD, but I feel like it needs to be yellow and color configuration is not an option on that. So I'm going to spend about $13,000 more on the NH because of color.
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

Old McGlenno wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:52 am
Riven326 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:45 pm The 100hp NH track loader is fantastic. So maneuverable and there's a lot of attachments.

After some test driving in the dealer lot, this is the one I'm going with, except with wheels I think. I wanted to like the old Massey but it has a really wide turn radius. I did like the old JD, but I feel like it needs to be yellow and color configuration is not an option on that. So I'm going to spend about $13,000 more on the NH because of color.
The one in the picture is a modded vehicle. Just so you know. It's available on the modhub.
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

fenixguy wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:22 am Other than that, I find the articulation 'snap back' FS steering to make them difficult to use for tedious work like loading bales or pallets.
Yeah this puts me off articulates generally but wheel loaders especially.
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

The good thing about using wheels when playing :)
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
Old McGlenno

Post by Old McGlenno »

Oh yeah, I mean I'm going with the base game NH skid steer.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

I love driving wheel loaders IRL, but like you guys said. Those things have crazy 3 person camera views
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Happy farming!
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

For larger jobs I could see using the articulated machines. But otherwise the skid steer is so much faster.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Yeah, my main use for wheel loaders is using the Biobeltz Light-Weight Bucket for large operations, and because I love using them IRL

Discord Server
Facebook page

Happy farming!