Are pigs worth it?

Electsilver8

Are pigs worth it?

Post by Electsilver8 »

Thinking about doing pigs, never messed with them before, are they worth it on seasons?
Chad

Re: Are pigs worth it?

Post by Chad »

Trying them for first time. I believe they will be. Bought the Yorkshire breed. They have quite the reproduction rate! Mrsealyp did a very good tutorial on them that would be worth watching
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

What's your setup? Farrow to Feeder or Farrow to Finish?
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

If you are having fun with it, it is worth it
Electsilver8

Post by Electsilver8 »

Chad wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:11 am Trying them for first time. I believe they will be. Bought the Yorkshire breed. They have quite the reproduction rate! Mrsealyp did a very good tutorial on them that would be worth watching
I'll definitely check it out.
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

I started a pig only farm on oberkrebach(3 day seasons as the map is pretty small running 5x speed most of the time, if I actually have a lot to do in a given day then 1x and then faster sometimes to pass time), I started by buying 10 Yorkshires, I was selling in less than a year as the base pen on that map only holds 300 of them. I'm farming just enough fields to keep them fed. I'm at the point (early winter year two) that I'm going to sell the cow barn and replace it with 1 additional pig barn at the moment, but have played around without saving so I know in the future I can place an addition barn next to the second one in the old cow area.

I have a running list of sold animal dollar totals at home, if I remember I'll bring it tomorrow to let you know how many dollars worth of pigs I have sold.

a few things I do/ have seen/noticed:
I'll look through the list sometimes and sell older pigs that are not pregnant. if they are due I keep them, I still have 3 of the original 10

I try to let them grow up to around 170-175 lbs, above that they become fertile

I have had my herd more than double in size overnight while sleeping.

depending on number in the barn I'll just start unloading(selling) some just to make sure I don't hit the max 300.

I have an animal trailer so I only paid for delivery of the first 10, all that I have sold were moved by me.

during the unloading scramble I'll take any size any age except fertile ones. so sometimes I'm taking new borns to market, but I figure for 90-110 each it's easy money as I haven't spent anytime feeding them yet

I even go to the effort of saving just before sleeping through the night, if the number of pigs is 300 in the morning I'll quit and reload, sell some off then try sleeping again. I just hate the idea of missing out by having the barn at full capacity, I'm hoping the second barn eliminates it.

due to the smaller field sizes my straw is somewhat limited, so I only give them straw late autumn through winter. ( year two I ran out on the first day of spring)

I think the highest number pig is just over 1000 at this point

manure and slurry at the BGA are the real money makers

no loans, yes to contracts, only grain I have sold was the "extra" from contracts and not usable for pigs, normal economy
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

I'm trying pigs for the first time on Geiselberg. I think the BGA is essential for turning a decent profit.
wombles

Post by wombles »

I have the premium and washed potatoes installed, and they produce pig food as a by-product, helps greatly with the feeding of the pigs.

I tend to sell my all my crops as I think it's a waste too feed them to the pigs, never did any tests though just a gut feeling. Mr Sealyp did a video a while back on the cost of feeding pigs with different pig food mods worth watching also.
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

I think they were more interesting pre-seasons where pigs also required potatoes and/or sugar beet.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I longed the season version a lot better. Never in my life have we fed potatoes or beets to our pigs. Technically the corn needs to be ground because whole corn and cause belly ruptures, plus they gain better. We also add soybean meal, which I pretend the soybeans are. We also give them distillers, which I pretend the wheat is, because wheat is broken down and added to other phases of food for the nursery and be used in distillers. Also I don't like dealing with potatoes and sugar beets.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

to update the above information.

I am on day 22 around noon currently ( no pigs sold yet on day 22 but I will at somepoint)

I have had pigs since the first day

I have sold pigs 10 different days so far for a total of $194426, highest single day total was day 21 with $41904

the highest number pig I currently have is 1131
Luftkopf

Post by Luftkopf »

I tried running pigs for a while on Geiselsberg. I ended up selling them all and re-tooling my farm back to cropping, because it all just seemed too much effort for the returns for my taste.
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:19 pm I longed the season version a lot better. Never in my life have we fed potatoes or beets to our pigs. Technically the corn needs to be ground because whole corn and cause belly ruptures, plus they gain better. We also add soybean meal, which I pretend the soybeans are. We also give them distillers, which I pretend the wheat is, because wheat is broken down and added to other phases of food for the nursery and be used in distillers. Also I don't like dealing with potatoes and sugar beets.
Oh I don't doubt the seasons version being more realistic but, personally, i can never be bothered with potatoes and sugar beet so being forced to do it worked better for me.
dapals51

Post by dapals51 »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:19 pm I longed the season version a lot better. Never in my life have we fed potatoes or beets to our pigs. Technically the corn needs to be ground because whole corn and cause belly ruptures, plus they gain better. We also add soybean meal, which I pretend the soybeans are. We also give them distillers, which I pretend the wheat is, because wheat is broken down and added to other phases of food for the nursery and be used in distillers. Also I don't like dealing with potatoes and sugar beets.
And again I'll say it. The game needs a feed mill or grinder with realistic rations for animals. Cattle is close with tmr but chickens and hogs get ground feed
XBOX one player
Farmer in the midwest USA

MOD HUB OR DIE!!
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Yeah I agree with you. I tried that ccm on pc, but it wouldn't load medicine creek with it activated. On that map cows get corn too.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.