Best cattle prices on seasons

Nebraska Heartland

Best cattle prices on seasons

Post by Nebraska Heartland »

I’m sure it has been asked but can not find it on the forum.

When is the best time and age to sell your fats like the Limousine or Saler cattle? I’m hoping to maximize my profits?

Thanks and kind reguards.
Kurtis
Xbox 1s
Add me if you want to play DirtyKurti08
Fs13, Fs15, Fs17, Fs19
ThatCanadianGuy

Re: Best cattle prices on seasons

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

go into the market screen in the seasons menu, cattle are listed near the bottom
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

In real-life you would sell pigs at a very specific age determined by the ratio of weight gain per day and feed intake per day. Pigs for slaughter is sold when they are at 100 - 120 kg. The live slaughter weight varies a bit around the world, probably determined by the breed of pig more than geography. Some pig farmers sell their pigs at about 25 kg. They are sold to other farmers for fattening to bacon pigs.

For cows there is much more variation, but about a year old is my guideline. For Holsteins that will be 300 kg for cows and 500 kg for bulls. Milking cows are sold for slaughter when they are 4 - 6 years old. In some parts of the world, grazing animals are sold for slaughter at the end of fall, when it becomes too cold to stay outside. Heifers can be sold at auctions when they become fertile, around 15 months.

Sheep can be sold as lambs or later at about 45 kg.

I'm sure farmers have more to say.
K. Henneberg/ArmChairFarming. Author of RealLifeNumbers (FS19, FS22)
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

1200 to 1400 lbs for cattle and 280 lbs for pigs just like irl.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Nebraska Heartland

Post by Nebraska Heartland »

Thanks Illinois. I guess that is more the question I am asking is when is the best age/ weight to sell?
As you said 1200-1400 is your average Market weight. At least it is around here when we take ours in to butcher. But at that weight the typical age is 2-3 years old. Any older such as 4-6 would be an older cow which would produce a lower price. I have worked the sale barns and mostly what we see running through are calves going to feedlots more than weigh ups. It’s not typical for us to see 5,000 plus per week at a typical sale but the buyers are the feedlots not so much the packers. And typical weight on calves going to feedlots are average 400-600 lbs. that’s why the one thing I wish would to be to produce calves without the milk cows like Red Angus, Semmentals, Herfords, etc..
FSarndrone

Post by FSarndrone »

in the 19?? some of the long horn cows were worth 35,000 each :biggrin2:
I love multiplayer :mrgreen: and John Deere :coolnew:
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I don't remember how the game works with calves. I would have to read the manual again. You could create another pen for the male calves and finish then out to the 1200-1400 lb mark.

Edit: I just do beef cattle and pigs like irl.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:28 pm I don't remember how the game works with calves. I would have to read the manual again. You could create another pen for the male calves and finish then out to the 1200-1400 lb mark.

Edit: I just do beef cattle and pigs like irl.
That's what I do. I have a pasture set up for male calves and just shove TMR down their gullet til they get fat enough to sell. Also that means I don't have to mess with straw either.
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
CMDRTAKEDOWN

Post by CMDRTAKEDOWN »

I still give them straw just to keep them healthy.
PS4
PS5
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

CMDRTAKEDOWN wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:34 am I still give them straw just to keep them healthy.
In the pastures? There’s no trigger that I’m aware of
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
High Cotton

Post by High Cotton »

I shoot to sell at 1400lbs. If I buy the first day of spring I can have them to that weight feeding TMR by the time the high selling price comes around late fall early winter.
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

CMDR never mentioned pastures, farm cat did