[FS19] Are plowing and growing certain crops a waste of time?

Guil

Re: [FS19] Are plowing and growing certain crops a waste of time?

Post by Guil »

mat2190 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:38 pm
RedJester wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:21 pm

For those, who are curious about the math behind the results, this spreadsheet might be interesting too:

EDIT: Please note, that cows could even generate about 23% more profit, if their TMR was mixed with grass silage instead of maize silage. When posting this, my data was already one step ahead in thinking about editing the grass yield and therefore I used maize silage in the data.
In the game straw is straw and silage is silage, it doesn't matter whether the straw came from wheat, barley or oats or if the silage came from corn or grass
Guil

Post by Guil »

Yeahrightio wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:38 am Hi everyone. I need advice on sugarcane. I have limed and plowed a paddock and I intend to so it with sugar cane. I know that it regrows on its own and it yeilds plenty, but am I better off to lease the equipment and sow a smaller feild and rotate my crops in that feild? :hmm:
Don't mean to come across rude but it's better to start a thread than start a new discussion in an existing thread with a completely different topic
Yeahrightio

Post by Yeahrightio »

That's alright Guil. I thought about that, but it seems logical I should have started a new thread. 👍
G'day from Australia :hi:
Fiatagri, the Italian stallion

PC has finally won me over, back to 17 now, Western Shore.
- Ford TW35
- Massey Ferguson 148
- New Holland 110-90
- Claas Dominator 88s

The farm focuses on Milk production, with cereals, grass silage and potato’s on the side for some extra income, whilst running a multitude of modern classics.
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

Not going to read the whole topic, but did you include the income of straw for wheat, barley and oats?
Selling the straw makes those crops way more interesting
Ignorance is bliss
Yeahrightio

Post by Yeahrightio »

Yeah straw is good, but I sometimes spread it for a increase in yeilds. Isn't that how it works? Maybe for fs15 only.

- Ford TW35
- Massey Ferguson 148
- New Holland 110-90
- Claas Dominator 88s

The farm focuses on Milk production, with cereals, grass silage and potato’s on the side for some extra income, whilst running a multitude of modern classics.
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

It doesn't act like fertilizer no
Ignorance is bliss
Yeahrightio

Post by Yeahrightio »

Ah right. Hmm, Iwan is right, maybe I'd make more money if I bought a baler. *thumbsup*
Last edited by Yeahrightio on Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Ford TW35
- Massey Ferguson 148
- New Holland 110-90
- Claas Dominator 88s

mat2190

Post by mat2190 »

iwan073 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:04 am Not going to read the whole topic, but did you include the income of straw for wheat, barley and oats?
Selling the straw makes those crops way more interesting
At first I did not include straw, since it is a lot of work to collect and sell. However when calculating the profit for animals, I had to get the values for straw anyway so I also included it in the profit for wheat, barley and oat. Although the calculations ignore, that due to the high volume output you have to drive around a lot, in order to sell all your straw, wheat, barley and oat do still generate noticeable less profit per real time hour than canola or soybean. Only looking at the profit per acre however, selling the straw makes wheat, barley and oat at least more profitable per harvest.

(Exact values can be found on page 5 of this thread.)
DrssaFerri

Post by DrssaFerri »

mat2190 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:38 pm
RedJester wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:21 pm
This is a lot of really good information that took a lot notes and a lot of math. There is also a lot of variables involved. Cows output 3 marketable products in base game for instance(4 if you count the cows themselves). Glad you have a mind for it. I have not tried sheep as anything to do with pallets frustrates me ATM. Tried chickens, but did not think that having 400 laying hens was worth the output I was getting with the eggs and Pigs seemed to be expensive to feed when I tried them last. Might revisit/try both again now that I know more.

Thank you for the time and effort.
You are welcome. I'm glad that my calculations can be useful to other people.

Please keep in mind though that they are for the base game, not including any mods like Seasons. And they are highly theoretic since they ignore a lot of uncalculateable factors. I did some testing with sheep loading the pallets by hand with a fork and the loading took so much time, that I was hardly able to make any profit.

For those, who are curious about the math behind the results, this spreadsheet might be interesting too:

I know that the "max amount of animals feedable" is highly unrealistic as it would require dozens of vanilla stables, but less animals would create the same profit with the same amount of food over time. This was just for calculation purposes in order to find out how much money could be earned with the amount of food produced in one hour real time.

EDIT: Please note, that cows could even generate about 23% more profit, if their TMR was mixed with grass silage instead of maize silage. When posting this, my data was already one step ahead in thinking about editing the grass yield and therefore I used maize silage in the data.
Hi there sorry but i have some doubts about your spreadsheet:
Horses produce Slurry and Manure?
Sheeps have some error? the reproduccion is a little better than cows, price is half but the profit 1 order of magnitude higher?
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

iwan073 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:27 pm It doesn't act like fertilizer no
did that mod in 17 that allowed straw to be spread and cultivated in as fertilizer come to 19? I can't remember the name, the pc I used then could barely handle the base game and hated extra graphics like a layer of straw spread on the field.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
Corstaad

Post by Corstaad »

I don't like FS19's economy. They added a bunch of additional costs without much thought to the in game economy. You can only take realistic prices so far without obvious conflicts like time and returns. I know very few farmers that only buy new buildings and equipment. It also has contributed to mods on modhub having the same price structures. It doesn't cost $30000 to buy a chicken coup. I don't require a full msrp Massey to start. I can't develop niches or rely on multiple generations of investment to make it work. Sad truth is farming is quite often done as a zombie business because of individuals passion for it.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

CowsGoMoo wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:23 am
did that mod in 17 that allowed straw to be spread and cultivated in as fertilizer come to 19? I can't remember the name, the pc I used then could barely handle the base game and hated extra graphics like a layer of straw spread on the field.
Stubble Cultivator. Yes. It was good in 17 and very good in 19. It is the first primitive (although excellent; I do not mean this as a slight in any way to the mod author) step towards multi-stage tillage and residue management, which is presently extremely cartoon-ified in the base game.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

CowsGoMoo wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:23 am
Actually sorry there were sort of two separate mods that made up that system. The other was Chopped Straw, which is probably what you’re referring to. The visual effect of Chopped Straw is now part of the 19 base game. Both mods were great.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Just seen this thread and was interested as game economy balancing is something we've done for our Fs17 Dedi server game. We've adjusted all the prices for all crops (any material) ingame, as well as bales prices.
We also adjusted all crop yields as well and animal prices/production/feed rates.

What was interesting was realising that if you made crop yields and prices too realistic to real life it actually made the game massively unbalanced.
As default there is also a unbalanced economy in both Fs17 and Fs19.
The problem is if anything is OP'd then it makes it pointless growing anything else.

In the end we tried our best to keep real life differences in crop yields and prices, but at the same time made every crop similar in profit per hectare.

We had to take into account machinery prices, as well as seed and fertiliser costs.

Our aim in the end was to give all the players on the server an even chance at making profit. But also allowing us to choose different crops without then putting ourselves at a disadvantage.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

BulletBill wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:08 pm

Our aim in the end was to give all the players on the server an even chance at making profit.
Crumble has pay for them old Fendt's somehow :lol: