PC Gamers: What controller setup do you like?

Noraf

Re: PC Gamers: What controller setup do you like?

Post by Noraf »

I use track-ir to look around, also to raise myself a bit from the seat to look better towards the front when doing loader work. I play almost exclusively incab.

The shifter I've set up to change directions (I use the enhanced vehicle control mod), to enable 4x4, and for the front and rear diffs.
I have the minimap on it, and then I got the reset for track ir there too. = 7 options
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
humbe

Post by humbe »

VCA = Vehicle Control Addon...

A mod that among other things alters steering sensitivity based on current speed.. Makes it a lot easier to turn at speed.. And more natural..

Im betting people with fancy setups are more inclined to respond. I would guess theres a lot with mouse or keyboard. Would be cool if forum supported creating polls 😀
Alagos

Post by Alagos »

The forum supports creating polls, doesn't it? :hmm:
I assume people don't use Seasons, unless they say otherwise.

How to upload your >> log<<
How to upload >>images << to the forum
How to get your gamekey's activation limit >>reset<<
How to report a >> bug <<

>>Rules<<
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

wbthacker wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:06 pm Miketeg mentioned "VCA". What's that?
Have a look at the following page for all the details on what VCA can do: https://github.com/Mogli12/VehicleControlAddon
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
humbe

Post by humbe »

Alagos wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:34 pm The forum supports creating polls, doesn't it? :hmm:
Right.. I didn't find any options for doing so, but it seems to create a poll it needs to be the first post in the thread :)
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

wbthacker wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:06 pm Miketeg mentioned "VCA". What's that?

Some of you said you use a shifter. What does that do in FS?
VCA stands for Vehicule Control Addon as some other already stated.

I use my shifter + clutch to control gearbox of VCA :)

This mod is a game changer and hope Giants will reach out to Mogli for the next edition !
Has been dairy farmer - From Quebec, Canada
French is my first language, please excuse my English :-)
Kimpak

Post by Kimpak »

I use keyboard plus an old Saitek x52 HOTAS flight stick for a joystick. The thing has enough buttons that its essentially its own side panel. I would like a wheel, but I don't play any other driving games so I can't really justify buying one.
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

Only Controller I've used since FS19 came out was my good old trusty Playstation 4 Dualshock controller. It does everything I need it to do, and have even been able to re-bind some controls from some mods to the controller as well such as all the Guidance Steering requirements and Autoload Trailer Controls. Don't think I've ever played the game with Keyboard and Mouse on the PC. I did briefly try playing the game with my old Logitech DFGT Wheel, but found the lack of Analogue Sticks on the wheel meant there was no way to control your character on foot and no way to move or rotate the camera, so quickly switched back to using the Controller. It's just a comfortable and more relaxing way to play.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*
dbump

Post by dbump »

I have a G920 that I got for racing sims, and it really is fun in FS too. I also got a Logitech 3d pro to use with it for controlling frontloaders etc. but I find I mainly just use an Xbox one controller hooked to my PC (Bluetooth or simple USB). Even with all three connected, I find myself picking up the controller for anything more complex. It's just so easy to simultaneously steer, change where I'm looking and zoom in out (in 3rd person), as well as to control the frontloader or similar hydraulic elements. I do like using the pedals with the controller, as I can then dedicate my index fingers to the "shoulder" buttons that modify what the rest of the inputs control.

Nothing beats the wheel for immersive feel though. It might be worth starting with a controller? It's a vast improvement over key/mouse, though I occasionally use those for some things (landscaping!).

I play a mix of in-cab and exterior camera. Some jobs I hire out (harvesting) but I enjoy manually driving beside the harvester to unload even though AutoDrive can automate that. I do use AutoDrive to send full loads back to the silo or to sell points when I've got several operations going. I also l use Follow Me for some tasks (hay). I've been frustrated by the beta of CoursePlay, so I'm using a combo of default workers and AI Vehicle Enhancement (another Mogli12 tool). Somehow I missed VCA! That looks awesome.

Things to watch out for:
You need to override the default centering spring force on some wheels. I didn't have too much trouble with that on Logitech but I know it's been a struggle for other Logitech users.
I'm not at my PC but as I recall there are two "slots" for keybinding definitions for game devices, and that can get tricky. So I can set xbox controller and 3d pro joystick to do the same operation, each using one of those slots, but I can't set wheel, controller, and joystick to do the same thing unless I use keypadder to turn one of those into a keyboard input device. Unless I'm missing some clever trick!
wbthacker

Post by wbthacker »

Thank you all again for the advice!

I got the Logitech Heavy Equipment Bundle and so far, I'm quite happy with it. It didn't come with any instructions, and I'm trying to get those from Logitech now (oddly, they aren't available to download), but installation was a snap and FS immediately recognized the new hardware.

I still keep my mouse and keyboard within reach and I use them pretty often so far. Once I'm used to the default button mappings I'll start moving things around a bit.

But yeah, having a steering wheel is a HUGE improvement. I still don't care much for the cab view, though... without depth perception I find it way too annoying when, e.g., using a front loader or driving a combine and trying to use the whole header without missing crops. I plan to start a new map and only use small equipment, which will probably work better that way. (I guess Track-IR would help with that too, but one step at a time.)

Thanks again!
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

I actually set up the joystick on the side panel to drive a combine and when I put the stick to the side it lowers/lifts the header
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

Has anybody tried using a 3d mouse with FS? I have one on my graphics desktop for Computer Aided Design work.
https://3dconnexion.com/us/product/spacemouse-wireless/
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.
Started playing for the education about farming.

Amateur (noob) Farmer 5 mostly forested acres
Tractor: Kubota M4900 (54HP), w/ Loader bucket and forks
Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
Hoffa82

Post by Hoffa82 »

I'm using keyboard and mouse, and a Logitech 3d for front loader work.
I've been trying to use my trackIr but I'm having strange behaviour with it only in this game, it works flawlessly in flightsim and racing games, but in FS when I turn my head to the left, not to the right, it lowers the camera also, it looks correct in trackIr software, but this happenes only in game.
Does anyone recognise this and does anyone perhaps have some ideas of what causing it?
snapper

Post by snapper »

I use trackir v4 device, but with y and z axis disabled, so only side to side movement tracked, and Trueview enabled. I find the y and z axis tracking leaves me constantly having to reset to a neutral position, despite much experimentation with the tracking curves. I think the seat suspension provides a decent immersive in cab experience for the y axis movement anyway.

My budget set up is a all second hand gear. Driving Force GT wheel (great budget option with 900 degrees rotation, but noisy), cheap joystick for forward/reverse, loader controls, and shuttle / shifting etc. The trackir was also second hand, but hard to find. I set FOV to 65.
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

Where do you set definitions for the buttons on different controllers? The game help only shows keyboard and mouse but not my xbox controller. I can only imagine where a joystick would shown up.
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.
Started playing for the education about farming.

Amateur (noob) Farmer 5 mostly forested acres
Tractor: Kubota M4900 (54HP), w/ Loader bucket and forks
Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder