PC Gamers: What controller setup do you like?

wbthacker

PC Gamers: What controller setup do you like?

Post by wbthacker »

I've been playing on PC with keyboard and mouse, and I hear about people using steering wheels, joysticks, and pedals. This sounds like it would be fun, and it might be a big improvement over trying to drive with WASD. OTOH it's expensive and may not be as fun as it looks.

So I'd like to hear from people who use this sort of rig, and how they like it. Hardware recommendations, things to watch out for, etc. Also, your play style -- do you mainly spend time driving vehicles, or do you also do higher-level farm management stuff (directing workers)?

Thanks!
humbe

Re: PC Gamers: What controller setup do you like?

Post by humbe »

This game involves a lot of driving so analog steering options is a big deal. Im using an old wheel and pedals. The pedals I could do without as they don't fit great with office chair on wheels. A wheel is great while driving but also in the way when you dont need it. I dont have joysticks but Id imagine logging crane operation would be a lot less pain with some.

If without a wheel Id be using courseplay for everything I could I think.
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

I do pretty much all the field work myself, I love working the fields. Only times I really ever hire the workers is when Forage/Sugarcane Harvesting. I hire workers to run the harvesters so I can run chaser, since... these harvesters don't have a storage thank on them. As for the controls. When on foot, I will use Mouse/Keyboard. When I'm in a vehicle I use the Heavy Equipment Bundle from Logitech.
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

I use my PS4 controller for playing on PC but I've often thought it would be a lot of fun using a wheel set up. Its just such a big investment though for a decent set up like Logitech dedicated FS wheel and controller.
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

My Xbox controller works fine for me. I do want the side panel though...
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

G29+shifter+sidepanel+track-ir
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

G920 + shifter + G13 (for key binding + joystick) + Keyboard (for some key that I don't use very often)

Next step will be the track ir.

But with VCA it kind of help (automatic rotation with the wheels).
Has been dairy farmer - From Quebec, Canada
French is my first language, please excuse my English :-)
Toys7505

Post by Toys7505 »

G27 Wheel, Pedals, and Shifter along with 2 Logitech 3-D Pro joysticks for Logging and Track IR ...........

Toys
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Keyboard and mouse but I can dial my sensitivity up and down on my mouse. I’m not a big fan of the whole joystick and thing because I don’t want to feel like I’m at work, but I hear it can be the way to go if you are looking for immersion and like to play first person
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

Xbox controller and Elgato Stream Deck
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

I use a cheap-clone XBOX controller ... I've tried the genuine Wireless controller but there seems to be a bit of lag.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Mellek

Post by Mellek »

I'm using a X-Box 360 controller (wired) and keyboard. Walking, driving, camera, crane controls (frontloader, wheelloader etc) and most used functions as lifting and folding implement as well as indicator lights are all on the controller. Other functions like crab steering modes, guidance steering, cruise control etc I have mapped to the keyboard.
As for play style I do all the work myself, never use any workers and play mainly from cab view.
pingu

Post by pingu »

Logitech G27 wheel. I use it for steering, switching between vehicles, hand-break, and changing driving direction.

Logitech Heavy Equipment Bundle pedals.

To the right of the wheel:
Logitech Heavy Equipment Bundle side panel. Cruise control (incl. CC Addon mod), camera (forward/backward, zoom in/out, look around), and all implement controls.
Elgato Stream Deck mounted on top of the side panel. Use it for mods like GPS, Rock Spawn, DEF, Follow Me, Better Minimap, Keyboard Steer, etc. (they all have their sub-screens with all controls). It also have buttons for hire worker, camera controls (inside/outside, forward/backward), help menu, and OK and Cancel/Back.

To the right of the side panel (mounted on a lower shelf angled towards me):
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Use it for front loader and crane controls.

To the left of the wheel:
The G27 shifter panel, but with the shifter stick removed and a Kensington Orbit track ball mounted on it instead. Use the shifter panel for enter/exit, start/stop, and for the vehicles lights controls (and those buttons are used for walking around-controls when outside vehicle. The track ball is used as a mouse and for looking around.

To the left of the G27 shifter panel:
Elgato Stream Deck XL. Use it for all general game stuff. Everything that changes the HUD (like More Realistic, Glance, Compass, Mixer Wagon), settings (like main menu, store menu, Seasons menu, Game Ext. menu). Also camera controls, Better Minimap controls, sound up/down, time controls (incl. skip night and pause), and buttons for help menu, OK and Cancel/Back.

I can often play a whole stint without using the ordinary keyboard and mouse at all.
<-- FS17 on an iMac 27" playing Lone Oak Farm and The Western Shore -->
duncan_101

Post by duncan_101 »

Mouse and keyboard...
Happly farming in Fryslan.
On an Asus RoG laptop.
wbthacker

Post by wbthacker »

Wow! Thanks for all the great responses! I'm very impressed with what some of you are doing.

I had to look up "TrackIR" to learn that it's a head-tracking system. I can see where that would help with camera control, at least. What else can you do with it in FS?|

Miketeg mentioned "VCA". What's that?

Some of you said you use a shifter. What does that do in FS?