fs17 revisited

SJ_Sathanas

Re: fs17 revisited

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

I don't know if I'm correct in making this assumption but it feels like the palceables was put in place for the consoles, yet to really use it you need a pc and place anywhere....
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

The whole build your own farm concept was something already doable in GE and the sacrifices made to implement it shows which market is the priority. 19 wasn't designed to be the best it could be but to be the best it could on console in my opinion.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

I know GIANTS told people that there focus is on making the game for consoles, so everything is built around that. I can see GIANTS not embracing next GEN console potential and just making another weak version again.

The FSL is maybe not a waste of resources, but it is a waste of time. How often are many of the top people from GIANTS attending those shows instead of making the next game better or fixing the existing game. I saw some pics on social media of GIANTS staff completely drunk after one of the FSL shows. Nice professional company there. It sounds more like it's just an excuse for them to show off in front of a few dozen people and have a booze up.

Honestly I don't see any positives for the future of this game series at all. Not for PC players who want a game that is immersive and well built.

Such a shame.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
eric21

Post by eric21 »

What's wrong of getting drunk after am event?
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

It sounds like a great time to me. Don't care for fsl, but where can I join the party Haha.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
farmer_bell

Post by farmer_bell »

I am still torn between 17 and 19. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Im on PC and have been playing since FS11. I would say I like to play realistically and I have never really played the game solely to make money on a map. Its all about the experience and I like to start small and grow the farm in a manner that feels right.
Like most on this thread, I would say I have similar gripes with FS19, the sounds is the biggest along with the overall environmental feeling, fs19 just doesn't feel right. I also feel that in 19 compared to 17, they have dumbed many things down, the biggest example I can think of is the way you can hook up machinery when not even close and loading shovels can pick up material meters away from the edge of the shovel. I was actually playing Fs13 last week (I still have it installed along with 17 and 19) and to connect to an implement, you need to be pretty much lined up properly. FS 19 for me feels more like it is aimed at young kids, every aspect has been dumbed down to make it easier. I actually like the option of placeables, but I dislike the way it has been implemented. I have always tinkered with maps in GE and I thought the placeable system would work well, as your farm grows and gets bigger, you can remove old sheds and place new ones, sort of ever evolving your farm. But, it doesn't work that way. The system doesn't work and map makers have never really bought into it. Then add that all animal placeables have to be flat! That kills things right away!
FS17 has superior sounds and a far better overall feeling to it, I still really enjoy playing on 17, but I also like 19. That said, I will not be buying the next FS game until I am sure that it is actually worth it and not just made even more arcadey and childish.

I actually converted The West Coast over to FS19, as I really love that map, so I wanted to recreate it in FS19 to take advantage of the multiple animal husbandries. I can fully appreciate why BulletBill did not want to convert it. It looks nothing like the slick polished affair it is in FS17. Getting the ground painting done right is a nightmare, so many sharp edges, then you have to flatten the yards to try and place decals etc. I spent several months converting it in my spare time. In the end I had 3 or 4 cow pastures (all located at the dairy) one for milking cows, the others were for overspill and did not produce milk or manure etc. I had 5 different sheep pastures and I was working on making fences and hedges removable from in game. However, I found that because it just did not feel right, I abandoned it and still play TWC on FS17
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

The only thing I'm curious about the next version of Farm Sim is what they hope to hype up about to make people want to pre-order it.
There's no major brands that would really get people buying en-mass like JD and Claas did.

They are very unlikely to ditch current gen consoles because of the high cost of the new consoles and with the global recession less people being able to afford the new consoles.

They have admitted they already made compromises to get Fs19 to work on consoles, so it doesn't inspire hope or optimism for the next version.

They can't introduce deformable terrain as its too taxing for consoles, really any game changing feature won't be possible for the same reasons.

So does that mean we just get an Fs19 B version called Fs2X.

I would just like a Farm Sim that feels, looks, sounds and plays nice.

Fs19 is lacking in all those areas to the extent that it kills a lot of players immersion and enjoyment.

I guess it depends if GIANTS feel they can afford to lose a decent sized chunk of there current playerbase.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

BulletBill wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:07 pm Nice professional company there. It sounds more like it's just an excuse for them to show off in front of a few dozen people and have a booze up.
Take it easy on them Bill no need to throw actual employees under the bus and get someone in trouble, besides I would drink all day too if I had to sit through FSL matches all weekend.
Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

Yeah, it's one thing expressing your dislike for the game but let's keep the personal attacks out of this discussion. It does no one any good putting two and two together and coming up with 5, leave that to the tabloid press.
Unless a scorched earth policy is what you're going for of course. :lol:
farmer_bell

Post by farmer_bell »

Fs19 is lacking in all the major areas. A hybrid Fs17/19 is what I would like to see. Something that takes the environment, sound and feel of 17, but adds in the mechanics of 19.
If they want to push the placeable system, then it needs to actually be fit for purpose, not just stick a random cow shed and make everything flat. They need to come up with a way of painting the navmesh to give the player an option of using an existing field. Although that then leads onto placeable food troughs and water troughs and before you know it, I suppose the game no longer appeals to the masses, and I dread to think of the slot count for consoles if they went down that road.

You can tell Fs19 is aimed at consoles and I fear the next game will be even more geared towards them. If they decide to go after current gen and next gen console users, then I cannot see there being much done in the way of new features. As was said, all the big brands are in, but I wonder if their next strategy will be to go more heavily into the American console market. So the next version may start introducing more American brands. For FS19 we got cotton plus 3 DLC which are aimed more towards the American market. America is a big market and it would make sense to go that way
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Ritchie wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:59 pm Yeah, it's one thing expressing your dislike for the game but let's keep the personal attacks out of this discussion. It does no one any good putting two and two together and coming up with 5, leave that to the tabloid press.
Unless a scorched earth policy is what you're going for of course. :lol:
It wasn't a personal attack, it was just a fact. That has been the behaviour at some of the FSL events, and seeing as they are there representing the company you would think they would act with a bit more restraint. That was the point I was making.

If they didn't want there behaviour known then they shouldn't have done it in public.
Mwal wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:52 pm Take it easy on them Bill no need to throw actual employees under the bus and get someone in trouble, besides I would drink all day too if I had to sit through FSL matches all weekend.
This last part made me laugh... maybe we should forgive them. :lol:
Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

It's still speculation on your part though, based on a few images. I don't think it's helpful to the debate either.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

farmer_bell wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:02 pm ...but I wonder if their next strategy will be to go more heavily into the American console market. So the next version may start introducing more American brands. For FS19 we got cotton plus 3 DLC which are aimed more towards the American market. America is a big market and it would make sense to go that way
I think you could be on to something there... along with there expansion into North America already announced.

That would definitely please the North American FS community.
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

Be nice if we can get some licenced "trucks", just to stop the threads asking for them.
I do like how they sneaked in a Ford F-whatever into the intro video then were like "Nope!" in-game lol.
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

If ravenport is what giants think an american map should look like I hope they skip right over us. Still say thats the worse map made.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs