fs17 revisited

Mobias

Re: fs17 revisited

Post by Mobias »

I'm going to get shot down in flames for this but I wouldn't mind in the slightest if Giants removed all the forestry side of the game and replaced it with much more involved livestock farming. Giants could do well just making a Forestry Simulator game and having it as a stand alone franchise.

(runs away and hides)
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

Mobias wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:44 pm I'm going to get shot down in flames for this but I wouldn't mind in the slightest if Giants removed all the forestry side of the game and replaced it with much more involved livestock farming. Giants could do well just making a Forestry Simulator game and having it as a stand alone franchise.

(runs away and hides)
I'm with you on that, just make sure we don't hide in the trees!
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Patrick73 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:10 pm Bullet Bill...I thought you had a good relationship with giants? Or has the team changed since FS17?

And have I got this right that you HAVE to make farm buildings playable before they pass a map?
I can count two people at GIANTS who have been a big help and two more who have been some help.
But I haven't had direct communication with any of them since Lone Oak release for Fs17.

Dealing with there QA team is like trying to talk to someone who has never played a mod map in Farm Sim sometimes. They can come up with the most bizarre reasons for failing your mod, yet at the same time will let a Euro mod pass with game breaking issues and award it "Top" mod status. This has become such a trend now it's getting ridiculous.

This is a quote from on of GIANTS employees as to what makes a mod get "Top" status.

"We usually consider mods that are completely self built/no ingame edits and of high quality or that bring something new to the game."

Now go through the "Top" mod list and work out how many actually fit that description and how many are by non European modders.

-

As to your second question: Anything to do with the Animal husbandry, silage pits etc all HAVE to be done as placeables. Otherwise it won't work. Even if you don't want to allow people to remove your animal side of the map.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Mobias wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:44 pm I'm going to get shot down in flames for this but I wouldn't mind in the slightest if Giants removed all the forestry side of the game and replaced it with much more involved livestock farming. Giants could do well just making a Forestry Simulator game and having it as a stand alone franchise.

(runs away and hides)
Unfortunately all the trees have been cut down in Farm Sim so you have nowhere to hide... :lol:
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
pingu

Post by pingu »

this_is_gav wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:50 pm I know FS19 felt rushed (from the outside at least) but it's like devs or team leaders weren't talking to each other or listening to QA and other staff so the graphics in the end ended up a poorly balanced mish-mash.
BulletBill wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:46 pm Instead GIANTS seem to lack communication between departments, and seem to have stopped caring about how finished there product really is anymore. That trend has continued even with there DLCs.
The trend seems to be to release a bare-bone game with minor and haphazard changes to the previous version. Then hope that the modders takes care of the players looking for a proper challenge, while the developers themselves takes care of the crowd of casual gamers with a never-ending stream of DLCs, gold/platinum editions, season passes, early access passes, community events, kickstarter campaigns, esport competitions, and whatever to keep their interest in the game after the first weeks and milk them of more money. I have seen other games go down the drain this way. Big promises for the next version, then it is hardly anything new that truly advances the game playing. And what's actually there is half-baked, buggy, and poorly implemented - end it never get fixed, because now when it is out the door they concentrate on selling all the extra stuff.

I would like GIANTS to do the following:

Set a goal for the next release on what it will add to the previous version. Turn to your die-hard fans - those who are willing to spend time talking about the game and the gameplay and not just scream for yet another brand or tractor model to be added. Ask them for ideas. Publish proposals on all kind of new imaginable features and look at the feedback. The game is about running a farm. There are almost endless possibilities in adding new interesting and realistic features.

Concentrate your work on the graphics and the gameplay. How to make the gameplay (running a farm!) more realistic and diverse and interesting. Refine the menu systems. Make the information in the game for the player more clear, coherent, and useable. Make the management of mods and assigned keys better (it is horrible today).

For the new stuff, use a beta release to refine it (!) and getting rid of the worst bugs. Maybe use a select group of beta testers (like highly skilled modders).

Make documentations for modding available before the release so that modders can start the tinkering.

Release the game when it feels OK and playable, not just because you announced a certain date 6 months earlier and want to have a release party. Be optimistic but also realistic.

Don't be afraid to set a proper price tag. With a thriving mod community it's a game that will interest and entertain a serious player for at least two years. I would gladly pay a dollar/euro per week for two years up-front if I knew that that is all I have to pay for this version of the game until the next release. Heck, I would probably pay 2 dollars/euros per week up-front if I knew it's a solid game with a productive mod community. Even if you only play a few hours per week, it's a low hourly cost for an entertaining and interesting game.

After the release, fix the bugs. And then start the process for the next version. No DLCs or other stuff the take up time and resources and dilute the brand name. Trust that the mod community take care of maps and equipment and placeables. Concentrate on bug fixes and then the next version.

And as been mentioned...
Consider a light version (low-priced or subscription model) for casual players who want to run around with farm machines, and a normal/pro/advanced version for the die-hard fans that are willing to pay a proper price for the release every two years. Consider having this light version only on consoles and tablets and phones. That is - split the "PC" version from the other versions. It would probably be a win for all involved...
<-- FS17 on an iMac 27" playing Lone Oak Farm and The Western Shore -->
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

I can't think of any franchise that has successfully maintained separate pc and console lines?
pingu

Post by pingu »

SJ_Sathanas wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:12 pm I can't think of any franchise that has successfully maintained separate pc and console lines?
Years since I followd and tried to keep up with the gaming arena... Only 'serious' gaming is FS and F1 on my Mac. So yeah, maybe it has not been done with any success? I see this FS as a game idea with a huge untapped potential in terms of features that can be added, and wish to think there is a market for a really high-end version. At the same time I have a feeling that consoles are negatively affecting the development of the "PC" version.

But then again, I'm not a game developer/publisher (and never will be)... :)
<-- FS17 on an iMac 27" playing Lone Oak Farm and The Western Shore -->
Cokey

Post by Cokey »

Glad i raised an interesting debate. As i said before i do prefer the gameplay and mods of 19 but i just cant seem to find a map to fall in love with. Been replaying cpf as stated before and it just feels so 'real'. I think the difference with 19 is that everything looks so clean and fresh, as though the roads have just been resurfaced and the hedges just laid. Plus another major difference is no bullet bill maps. If ur looking, you sir absolutely nailed the feel of the uk. Was so happy then gutted when i saw the western shore and then realised its not on console
Cokey

Post by Cokey »

Can i just thank everyone for being polite and informative rather than being rude and derogatory. Much appreciated
Cokey

Post by Cokey »

Also i dont know if i should ask elsewhere but how do i put someones quote into my response? Just a stupid lorry driver sorry. Only just mastered youtube lol
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

There are quotation marks in three right have corner of the post you want to quote. Just click them and it will quote that post.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Cokey

Post by Cokey »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:34 am There are quotation marks in three right have corner of the post you want to quote. Just click them and it will quote that post.
Got it. Thank you very much
Cokey

Post by Cokey »

Illinois farmer, i take it your a genuine farmer. What sort of farm if you dont mind me asking?
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

No problem. We have hogs, beef cattle and sheep. Then we grow corn, soybeans, wheat, hay, and oats.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Cokey

Post by Cokey »

Wow just read your description at bottom. What sort of size machinery do you use? I find on fs i end up trying to use biggest equipment possible to save going round and round hundreds of times. Just wondering ehats actually realistic. I know in uk its mainly smaller equipment unless in norfolk, cambridgeshire, lincolnshire where its big fenlands