PC Negatives

this_is_gav

Re: PC Negatives

Post by this_is_gav »

Or you could just stick to ModHub and find out which mods from other sites are worthwhile from others. :lol: I used to stick to checking a couple of sites weekly or even monthly (not at all now unless someone recommends something), but still check the ModHub most days. I think I've got only three or four non-ModHub mods for FS19.

Of course, besides script mods the one thing PC users can do exclusively is customise mods and change values beyond those in the game, but for 90% of things it varies from not being particularly intuitive but relatively easy to having to spending months just learning just the basics without having anything to show for it.
kwguk

Post by kwguk »

Always wanting a more poweful PC rig to run Ultra graphics settings with no FPS drop no matter the map or amount of mods im using . I shudder at the mount ive already spent upgrading my setup since i started in 2013.

I use xbox controller mouse and keybord but as i use CP and AD a lot the setup is fine.

I spend far to long mucking about editing XML files to adapt a mod to my gameplay style. I usually make a right hash of it and have redownload the original.
Guil

Post by Guil »

That's next to impossible no matter how much you spend on hardware.
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

The new colour swatch system in FS-19 opened a Pandoras box in the modding community for colour variations on tractors and combines. Want the option to have a luminous pink New Holland T7 with luminous purple wheels? No problem there's at least 100 of them clogging up mod sites. I get the impression you're spared that on Giants mod hub.
friendlinzh

Post by friendlinzh »

pc is more expensive. but i like xbox or ps4 play way..
kwguk

Post by kwguk »

Guil wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:43 am That's next to impossible no matter how much you spend on hardware.
true

but i doesnt stop me trying
humbe

Post by humbe »

Many graphic bits doesnt scale linearly. If for instance you double view distance you get way more than twice the amount of objects to render as you see much wider from a distance. Graphics is limited by how it is implemented.
Guil

Post by Guil »

kwguk wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:31 pm
Guil wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:43 am That's next to impossible no matter how much you spend on hardware.
true

but i doesnt stop me trying
The game engine will stop you lol
Pict

Post by Pict »

Mobias wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:40 am The new colour swatch system in FS-19 opened a Pandoras box in the modding community for colour variations on tractors and combines. Want the option to have a luminous pink New Holland T7 with luminous purple wheels? No problem there's at least 100 of them clogging up mod sites. I get the impression you're spared that on Giants mod hub.
While I agree with that and would add that there are worse mods out there than the copy paste colour change of Giants stock stuff, mods that just don't work, lots of awful tanks and sci-fi stuff, that you are in no way obliged to download and install, but really just take up space on your web browser...

there are equally some absolutely game changing mods that are relentlessly tweaked and polished to enhance our our FS pleasure that are simply not available on the modhub. Many that are only available on Github for example, or on the modders own website that only has their great mod/s on it. You have no obligation to download them either, but if you want to, you won't find them on the modhub and those you do will be well out of date.

The internet's a big place and you get all sorts of stuff on it, but limiting yourself to one site defeats the point of having access to the rest of it. So if your suggesting that accessing the internet for mods is a negative for PC FS gamers, I would dispute that as that's clearly one of it's strengths and a positive point when compared to console. :hi:
humbe

Post by humbe »

Pict wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:36 pm ...
The internet's a big place and you get all sorts of stuff on it, but limiting yourself to one site defeats the point of having access to the rest of it. So if your suggesting that accessing the internet for mods is a negative for PC FS gamers, I would dispute that as that's clearly one of it's strengths and a positive point when compared to console. :hi:
Most of the PC negatives here is basically that on PC you have more options, and it is possible to use the extra options to diminish game play. It's also certainly possible to not take advantage of these options at all, or to investigate and test a bit how to use these options to improve gameplay.
Pict

Post by Pict »

humbe wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:36 pm Most of the PC negatives here is basically that on PC you have more options, and it is possible to use the extra options to diminish game play. It's also certainly possible to not take advantage of these options at all, or to investigate and test a bit how to use these options to improve gameplay.
Yes that's about the size of it. It's a double edged sword and comes down to to how you handle it.
Cokey

Post by Cokey »

As i spend my week living in a lorry a pc is a no-go. Would i be wise to get a laptop? And if so how much would i be looking to spend to get one with decent performance for fs19? Any drawbacks over console?
humbe

Post by humbe »

I guess pricing is the main issue. Consoles are sold with low or even negative profit as they want to get console market and earn money on the games. So they are typically cheap for what you get. A gamer laptop is fairly expensive. A hot running graphic card isnt a great match for a laptop so they are often bulky.
Pict

Post by Pict »

Cokey wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:11 am As i spend my week living in a lorry a pc is a no-go. Would i be wise to get a laptop? And if so how much would i be looking to spend to get one with decent performance for fs19? Any drawbacks over console?
You don't need to spend a huge amount of money on a laptop, but like anything else, you can :)

That is another double edged sword in the PC/console debate, as Giants support for consoles, whose hardware development is relatively static in comparison to PC's, means the stock game is not very demanding on hardware unlike PC only games that drink hardware like water. In fact I've noticed that FS19 runs better than FS17, which in turn ran better than FS15, all on the same laptop. That's a real plus for anyone with a not so state of the art PC/laptop.

However, may of the mods you might want to use are made by people running super fast desktop gaming PC's and are just not made or optimized to the Giants standard, so they just don't run well if at all on a lower spec machine that runs the stock game with ease.

Many if not most of the mod maps are like this, even those made by some of the more hyped map makers, although there is no need for it as optimization is easy and the tools in the editor and game engine are all there.

=================

So a laptop is no problem if you want to run FS19. You can easily get one that meets the minimum Giants specs for running the game and you won't have a problem with anything but poorly optimized mods. You can pump some more cash in and get a really fast one that will run just about any of it no worries. In the end that's up to you and your budget. For me I just avoid the stuff that won't run well, as there is so much good stuff that will left to chose from.

One of the most important things you need to do with a laptop is make sure that your game is running of the gaming graphics card. Many laptops have 2 video cards installed, one fast one slow and often the slow one is selected by default for some reason. The result, if the wrong card is use, is a slide show.

As humbe noted above, the graphics card can (but doesn't always) run hot on a gaming laptop. This can happen due to a few factors. In a hot country on a hot day. Running the above mentioned poorly optimized mods. Not having kept the cooling fins or fan clear of the dust & fluff that inevitably builds up.

These problems can be easily overcome. I guess your truck has aircon? I use a small desk fan in the summer to help keep things cool just by keeping the air from the laptop cooling fan exhaust area moving. When you go to buy a laptop, look for one that has an easy access panel to the internal cooling fan, as this will help you keep it clean and therefore cool. Also make sure all air inlet and outlets have plenty of breathing room. I totaled my last laptop by cooking the motherboard when on a long-haul flight, thinking I had switched it off, (but it somehow stay on), put it in the overhead locker. When I landed and got to the hotel, it wouldn't start, a disaster of a trip :lol:

In the end, if your on the move a lot and want to play FS19, I would, (from lots of personal experience), definitely recommend a laptop.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

Cokey wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:11 am As i spend my week living in a lorry a pc is a no-go. Would i be wise to get a laptop? And if so how much would i be looking to spend to get one with decent performance for fs19? Any drawbacks over console?
I agree with Pict up-thread -- this is one of the few times I'd recommend a laptop.

My refurb ThinkPad cost £230 (I think, could have been £250) and it plays well-enough: it can't do maxed-out settings and it needs to stand on a hard surface, like a table top or tray, so the vents are clear, but it is playable.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads