PC Negatives

PunkinFmr

Re: PC Negatives

Post by PunkinFmr »

Cokey wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:11 am As i spend my week living in a lorry a pc is a no-go. Would i be wise to get a laptop? And if so how much would i be looking to spend to get one with decent performance for fs19? Any drawbacks over console?
Sort of similar situation. I travel (air) 2-3 weeks out of every month so I needed a mobile solution. After reading the feedback here, I did get a laptop — I7 10th gen 16GB w/1660ti gpu. It was definitely more than a PC build would cost, but I have seen no lag on max settings...yet. I have only loaded No Man’s Land since I’ve only had the laptop 2 days. I’m excited to push it to its limits, though.
Cokey

Post by Cokey »

Pict wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:40 pm
Cokey wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:11 am As i spend my week living in a lorry a pc is a no-go. Would i be wise to get a laptop? And if so how much would i be looking to spend to get one with decent performance for fs19? Any drawbacks over console?
You don't need to spend a huge amount of money on a laptop, but like anything else, you can :)

That is another double edged sword in the PC/console debate, as Giants support for consoles, whose hardware development is relatively static in comparison to PC's, means the stock game is not very demanding on hardware unlike PC only games that drink hardware like water. In fact I've noticed that FS19 runs better than FS17, which in turn ran better than FS15, all on the same laptop. That's a real plus for anyone with a not so state of the art PC/laptop.

However, may of the mods you might want to use are made by people running super fast desktop gaming PC's and are just not made or optimized to the Giants standard, so they just don't run well if at all on a lower spec machine that runs the stock game with ease.

Many if not most of the mod maps are like this, even those made by some of the more hyped map makers, although there is no need for it as optimization is easy and the tools in the editor and game engine are all there.

=================

So a laptop is no problem if you want to run FS19. You can easily get one that meets the minimum Giants specs for running the game and you won't have a problem with anything but poorly optimized mods. You can pump some more cash in and get a really fast one that will run just about any of it no worries. In the end that's up to you and your budget. For me I just avoid the stuff that won't run well, as there is so much good stuff that will left to chose from.

One of the most important things you need to do with a laptop is make sure that your game is running of the gaming graphics card. Many laptops have 2 video cards installed, one fast one slow and often the slow one is selected by default for some reason. The result, if the wrong card is use, is a slide show.

As humbe noted above, the graphics card can (but doesn't always) run hot on a gaming laptop. This can happen due to a few factors. In a hot country on a hot day. Running the above mentioned poorly optimized mods. Not having kept the cooling fins or fan clear of the dust & fluff that inevitably builds up.

These problems can be easily overcome. I guess your truck has aircon? I use a small desk fan in the summer to help keep things cool just by keeping the air from the laptop cooling fan exhaust area moving. When you go to buy a laptop, look for one that has an easy access panel to the internal cooling fan, as this will help you keep it clean and therefore cool. Also make sure all air inlet and outlets have plenty of breathing room. I totaled my last laptop by cooking the motherboard when on a long-haul flight, thinking I had switched it off, (but it somehow stay on), put it in the overhead locker. When I landed and got to the hotel, it wouldn't start, a disaster of a trip :lol:

In the end, if your on the move a lot and want to play FS19, I would, (from lots of personal experience), definitely recommend a laptop.
Thanks very much for your answer. To be honest the mods id really like are the global company mods, follow me and courseplay. I really wish they'd come to console. Sorry for the very slow response. Have to have them wheels turning to be earning
REDSTER-85

Post by REDSTER-85 »

I don't think think anyone mentioned this, but I feel it might be important. How much gaming on pc can someone do if they don't have access to internet? Most console games don t require it. Biggest thing missed would be updates and inde games.
Playing games because they are fun. Watching movies because they are entertaining.
Long live plug n play.
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

REDSTER-85 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:06 am How much gaming on pc can someone do if they don't have access to internet?
Steam has offline mode and GOG doesn't need any kind of connection.
I've played steam games during plane transits with wifi disabled.
So if you're expecting to be on the road you can be accommodated.
REDSTER-85

Post by REDSTER-85 »

george.earlslight wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:25 am
REDSTER-85 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:06 am How much gaming on pc can someone do if they don't have access to internet?
Steam has offline mode and GOG doesn't need any kind of connection.
I've played steam games during plane transits with wifi disabled.
So if you're expecting to be on the road you can be accommodated.
I mean no access to internet to the point of having to buy physical copies.
Playing games because they are fun. Watching movies because they are entertaining.
Long live plug n play.
george.earlslight

REDSTER-85 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:06 am How much gaming on pc can someone do if they don't have access to internet? Most console games don t require it.
REDSTER-85 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:44 pm I mean no access to internet to the point of having to buy physical copies.
How would that be a comparing point versus a console then?
REDSTER-85

Post by REDSTER-85 »

george.earlslight wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:49 pm
REDSTER-85 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:06 am How much gaming on pc can someone do if they don't have access to internet? Most console games don t require it.
REDSTER-85 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:44 pm I mean no access to internet to the point of having to buy physical copies.
How would that be a comparing point versus a console then?
I have no problem getting games on console. The places I go, if they even have anything, pc is severely limited.
Long live plug n play.
george.earlslight

REDSTER-85 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:51 pm I have no problem getting games on console. The places I go, if they even have anything, pc is severely limited.
Got it now, couldn't understand earlier.
Makes sense since consoles are easier to sell, PC gaming is more like a hobby nowadays.