Questions for the real-life farmers who play FS

pingu

Questions for the real-life farmers who play FS

Post by pingu »

Some of you who play FS also farm in real life. Maybe you have a small hobby farm outside your regular job, maybe run your own farm full-time, maybe you help out at your family's farm, maybe you work at someones farm... Whatever the situation, I'm interested in what you think about FS.

1)
How do you play? Just having fun every now and then driving around with different equipment? Or are you in it for the long run, slowly building up a farm on a map and doing all the tedious things as well?

2)
What do you think about FS in the following four areas:

Equipment
How to drive, dynamics if the vehicle, functions of the implements...

Land management
How we work the soil with fertilization, plowing, crop rotation, etc. and how the weather effects the work...

Animal management
Buying, raising, selling, tending to them...

The economy of running the farming business
How we get our income, what things costs, how we interact with the surrounding community, buying and selling and contracts...

Anything in the above areas that makes the game way too unrealistic? Something very important that is missing and should be added? Something that is in the game today that could be removed because its pointless or impossible to implement the right way? What's the number 1 thing you miss in the game?

And, what direction do you think the game development should take:
a) same as the last few versions
b) more fun and less realism, because it is too hard to implement realism the right way
c) more realism and nerdy details in how to operate equipment, working the land, and tending to the business

Thank you!
<-- FS17 on an iMac 27" playing Lone Oak Farm and The Western Shore -->
Illinois Farmer

Re: Questions for the real-life farmers who play FS

Post by Illinois Farmer »

1. I place the buildings down I want and then take out a loan until I have the equipment I want and play realistically to repay the load.
2. I wish there sounds on base game equipment was better, but I don't use any base game stuff anymore. I don't want break downs because they are a headache irl and don't want that in the game. Ground dynamic could be cool, but with how other stuff is implemented, I bet it would be overly the top and unrealistic.
Animals need a lot of work. For example, the way we feed pigs and cows are not close to the way we actually feed the animals. For the cows, put cracked corn in with the tmr and that's close. Pigs need ground corn otherwise their stomach can ruptures and their feed consumption would be terrible. Also they should add in soybean meal and distillers. Also sheep, chickens, and horses should produce manure. I understand there sheep are in a pasture and you usually don't collect from a pasture, but their pin is like the same as the hogs and you collect the hogs manure. Also should feed the sheep either corn and oats as well.
Irl there are a lot more payments than just what the game shows. Taxes are a huge one that are ridiculously expensive. Also we have lp filled every week for the nurseries. Seed costs irl are more expensive than in the game. One of the biggest payment factors is break downs, but I don't want that in game ha. Corn drying would be cool to have in the base game. Also when you sell your animals or grain there are always deductions. You always get screwed somehow. There is more to the fertilizing then just putting fertilizer or lime down into the field. A lot science is involved on the different rates across the field on which section needs more or less. Plus, different types or fertilizers are used.
3.i would like the animals better expanded on in the next game and fix the sound of base game equipment. The landscape doesn't bother me because I know it is just a game, but that can be fixed too because I know a lot of people don't line fs19 landscape.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

1) I don't mind just a quick casual play If I don't have much time, but generally I like to play at a slower more relaxing pace, and build up my farm, starting off with older equipment and working up.

2) Equipment - The games physics and functions are best described as basic. In RL there is far more going on. In Farm Sim you never get a sense of the type of ground your driving on, implements are too rigid, everything feels too light. The tractors acceleration and braking is very arcadey, there's also no sense of weight transfer balance when moving around.

Land Management - Obviously ingame it is a lot more basic than in RL, but personally I would not find it relaxing if I have to keep checking my fields constantly like you did with Soilmod (a fantastic mod in its own right)
I think FS could do more with the field states, make more visible differences whether the field has been direct seeded onto stubble, how the soil looks after being harvested. Why GIANTS still didn't implement a decent cut grass visual look to grass meadows I still don't understand, and grass foliage still has no distance textures, something we worked with GIANTS to get ingame for Fs17.

Animal Management - Currently it is basic, but again I think make it too realistic it becomes tedious and boring. Visually I think it would be nice to have the animals more interactive, back in Fs11 you could go up to cows and press a key to make them move away from you. Having the proper buildings for the various animals and not just in unrealistic pens. Also visually show the full amount of animals not just a handful.

Economy - This is something that is very tricky to get right. Just recently I spent days/weeks working out how to balance the crop yields and crop prices. Fully realistic yields and prices just aren't fun ingame.
I think getting a balance so that the differences between the crops is similar to RL, but at the same time each crop needs to earn you a similar amount per hectare, otherwise it makes it pointless growing anything but the best income crop.
I would like to see crop contracts added, so a sell point asks for a certain amount of crop by a certain time later on in the growing season.

I think primarily the game needs much better physics and audio, right now they are still basic at best, awful at worst.

The dynamic skies are just "meh"... and at times look ridiculous. If GIANTS can't improve those enough I would rather go back to static skies but a far more sophisticated version.

The focus on placeables personally has killed off a part of what made Farm Sim so enjoyable. It has made map makers not bother to be so original in there map construction, because whats the point when some players will just remove all your hard work to place some tacky looking barns and poorly constructed ground paint instead.
The whole point of mod maps is for that content creator to show you something original. Fs19 maps have just turned into clones of each other.

Farm Sim needs to decide is it a Action Simulator or a Constructor Simulator, it can't try to do both and do either one justice.

The ones who love the ingame editor could do far more with the same skill using GIANTS editor. It's like using a blunt tool for a precision job.

As for your final choice, I can't choose any really. I just want GIANTS to make a refined, polished game that feels like they have a passion for creating and not just filling there pockets with money from DLCs or focusing on tacky FSL and esports gimmicks.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
dapals51

Post by dapals51 »

1. I like to build farms I'll use the money cheat and raise money and build a farm to what I imagine. Then play, my plan is to build a 90s farm now that the 9600 combine and 40 series deere is out. Otherwise I agree with Illinois

Illinois Farmer wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:16 pm 2. I wish there sounds on base game equipment was better, but I don't use any base game stuff anymore. I don't want break downs because they are a headache irl and don't want that in the game. Ground dynamic could be cool, but with how other stuff is implemented, I bet it would be overly the top and unrealistic.
Animals need a lot of work. For example, the way we feed pigs and cows are not close to the way we actually feed the animals. For the cows, put cracked corn in with the tmr and that's close. Pigs need ground corn otherwise their stomach can ruptures and their feed consumption would be terrible. Also they should add in soybean meal and distillers. Also sheep, chickens, and horses should produce manure. I understand there sheep are in a pasture and you usually don't collect from a pasture, but their pin is like the same as the hogs and you collect the hogs manure. Also should feed the sheep either corn and oats as well.
Irl there are a lot more payments than just what the game shows. Taxes are a huge one that are ridiculously expensive. Also we have lp filled every week for the nurseries. Seed costs irl are more expensive than in the game. One of the biggest payment factors is break downs, but I don't want that in game ha. Corn drying would be cool to have in the base game. Also when you sell your animals or grain there are always deductions. You always get screwed somehow. There is more to the fertilizing then just putting fertilizer or lime down into the field. A lot science is involved on the different rates across the field on which section needs more or less. Plus, different types or fertilizers are used.
3.i would like the animals better expanded on in the next game and fix the sound of base game equipment. The landscape doesn't bother me because I know it is just a game, but that can be fixed too because I know a lot of people don't line fs19 landscape.
XBOX one player
Farmer in the midwest USA

MOD HUB OR DIE!!
eric21

Post by eric21 »

One point to say is farms operate differently to each other, if you put one aspect of a farm into the game, another farmer would say different.

I'd like see different feed mixes, I know seaweed there is but theres tonnes more different feeds
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

I like to start with a small farm and a semi with a few different trailers and work my way up. Kind of like my real life where I work another job and farm. I do enjoy building my own farm as well because it feels like home to me then instead of just some farm I’m at.
For the second question it has a ways to go with hydraulics and implements there is more to working a field than just all the way up or down. I also understand that this coupled with other real life things like steering brakes or a realistic throttle might make the game hard to play or learn for some people so I’m fine with it’s current state.
Soils could get muddy and weather should have an effect of more than just harvesting. It’s awfully tough to do field work after an all day rain in the spring. I wish the plowing was turned into two classes like deep tillage and heavy trash tillage. Deep tillage would be something you would need to do on the headlands after harvest if you made to many trips with trucks and grain carts in one area and then the other, heavy trash tillage, would follow crops like corn and sunflowers where you might have to make a pass after harvest with a disk or something else that would chew the stalks up well before planting. Fertilizer should in my opinion stay how it is. There is way more to it in real life but I think it’s another thing that might drive people away.
Animals are about as simple as they could be in comparison to real life everything Illinois farmer said I agree with I would just add that that beef and dairy are fed differently (I know that’s a seasons addition but just if giants ever adds it beef cattle) I also would like to see things like breweries or ethanol plants you could sell to them get the by products to feed to your animals. There is also more than one way to feed cattle to get a good outcome for example we fed ground corn and outs with hay and a little straw forever and did fine. Many guys will feed pulp and tailings from sugar beets to cattle as well and they just love it. As for your last question I would say stay the same. They are slowly adding realism into the game which is fine with me I think that’s best to not make the game overly intimidating.
kwguk

Post by kwguk »

pingu wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:30 am Some of you who play FS also farm in real life. Maybe you have a small hobby farm outside your regular job, maybe run your own farm full-time, maybe you help out at your family's farm, maybe you work at someones farm... Whatever the situation, I'm interested in what you think about FS.

1)
How do you play? Just having fun every now and then driving around with different equipment? Or are you in it for the long run, slowly building up a farm on a map and doing all the tedious things as well?

I play management style using CP or AD for everything. Im on Eiersholt at the mo and the sheer size means you need a lot of equipment in order to complete jobs in time. Ive got nearly 200 hours on this save game.

2)

Equipment

To be fair for a simulation on the whole its pretty good. Its a balancing act between how real and how lifelike do you want togo before you can only play on top end PC's

Land management
How we work the soil with fertilization, plowing, crop rotation, etc. and how the weather effects the work...

Again for a simulaton that tries to appeal to both casuaand hardcore it strikes a pretty good balance. It would be good if the rain stopped you drilling and spraying as well as combining

Animal management

Its alright. Though id like to see possibly an auction of some sort. How they do that god only knows

How we get our income, what things costs, how we interact with the surrounding community, buying and selling and contracts...

This is i think is the games weakest point. The prices you recieve are ridiculousy high, even on 'hard'. Thats for what you buy and what you sell both animal and crop related. If i got the prices in IRL i did on here id be quids in!

Anything in the above areas that makes the game way too unrealistic? Something very important that is missing and should be added? Something that is in the game today that could be removed because its pointless or impossible to implement the right way? What's the number 1 thing you miss in the game?

Minor things. The colour of rape or Canola when its fit to harvest bugs me, It should be dark brown beacause its dead having been sparayed off not the colour it is in the game. Seasons shouldnt be a mod it should be part of the main game mechanics

b) more fun and less realism, because it is too hard to implement realism the right way
c) more realism and nerdy details in how to operate equipment, working the land, and tending to the business

Again Giants have to try and please all of the people so cant really veer away to one extreme or the other. For more realism they could introduce insects and bugs, Aphids and CSFB. What should be added is rolling your crops after drilling. Its what happens IRL but not on FS. Subsoiling as well maybe. Id like to see 'swath control'where the spreader or sprayer will turn off on it own on the headland

Thank you!
I farm in southern England. Arable, contract farming and *censored* just to give you hope i know roughly what im on about
kwguk

Post by kwguk »

'Censored' ????
lol
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

eric21 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:35 pm One point to say is farms operate differently to each other, if you put one aspect of a farm into the game, another farmer would say different.

I'd like see different feed mixes, I know seaweed there is but theres tonnes more different feeds
It would be nice to have more diverse feeding or be able to make custom feed mixes. Not a farmer but from watching real farms working it feels missed out can't feed chickens or cows corn, or taters/beets (seen a few uk farmers do that).

For the pigs we may not have soybean meal but you can still feed them soybeans. Would be nice with the custom mix to say make pigs eat soybean/pig food 50/50 or something.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
Yeahrightio

Post by Yeahrightio »

pingu wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:30 am Some of you who play FS also farm in real life. Maybe you have a small hobby farm outside your regular job, maybe run your own farm full-time, maybe you help out at your family's farm, maybe you work at someones farm... Whatever the situation, I'm interested in what you think about FS.

1)

2)

Equipment

Land management

Animal management

Thank you!
That's a great question Pingu. I live on the family farm, which I help run.

1. I always like to build up my farms, start cheaper and work towards more expensive.

2. The driving characteristics of ingame vehicles is a bit off. For example, the new Holland TX32 should have a hydraulic whine comming from the hydrostatic drive. It should surge forward and go no faster than about 15kph. The transmission will overheat in those headers if you go any faster .The lever with the red ( think so) is the thresher engage and it should push forward when the combine is threshing. As for tractors, their a bit off as well. The main thing is gearshifts. We need them. Some mods offer 3, but in reality some tractors have a 56x56 transmission. I drive a NH tm130 and it's an 18 speed, so 18 shifts. The in game ones accelerate a tad bit quick and brake to easily. Other than that the equipment is really good.

3. I live in Australia so my cultivation is different. We don't plow we deep rip with a Yeomans deep ripper, which rips the ground about 70cm deep. Then we use the scarfifier to level it off and direct drill into that. Then we spray after about 6 weeks for weeds. If the crop ain't going to make it we bale it green for stock feed. The drought lasted 3.5 years here. No rain for that long won't grow crops. Then further west they haven't had rain for 6 years, so crops will vary.

4. Animal management is alright. But in Australia we put the livestock in a 100 acres paddock to graze, not in a small barn. We take the to market and we breed our own stock so we don't need to buy them. The only thing is us that cows are worth 4x the amount in fs compared to real life farming in Australia.

5. Farming is always a loss in profit. 🤣 Things tend to cost less here and there, but fs doesn't give you the chance to buy a second hand machine, which most farmers own. Crop prices here get to about 400$ a ton for canola and stock prices are 1000$ tops. Fs is a European price range, so Australia is different.

6. 1 thing they need to add is pests. Things like foxes to take lambs and locusts to eat crops would be good. But things like tire wear, building maintenance and digging holes need adding to.

7. I think they need 2 versions. I know this sounds stupid, but a beginner and pro version. Beginner as the same characteristics as now, pro is a real life version, just simulated. If people want realism they'll use mods like seasons to get it.

Thanks for asking Pingu. 👍👍

I could talk all day, but my fingers are getting tired from typing. 😅
G'day from Australia :hi:
Fiatagri, the Italian stallion

PC has finally won me over, back to 17 now, Western Shore.
- Ford TW35
- Massey Ferguson 148
- New Holland 110-90
- Claas Dominator 88s

The farm focuses on Milk production, with cereals, grass silage and potato’s on the side for some extra income, whilst running a multitude of modern classics.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

kwguk wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:05 pm

1)

I play management style using CP or AD for everything. Im on Eiersholt at the mo and the sheer size means you need a lot of equipment in order to complete jobs in time. Ive got nearly 200 hours on this save game.

2)

Equipment

To be fair for a simulation on the whole its pretty good. Its a balancing act between how real and how lifelike do you want togo before you can only play on top end PC's

Land management

Again for a simulaton that tries to appeal to both casuaand hardcore it strikes a pretty good balance. It would be good if the rain stopped you drilling and spraying as well as combining

Animal management

Its alright. Though id like to see possibly an auction of some sort. How they do that god only knows

This is i think is the games weakest point. The prices you recieve are ridiculousy high, even on 'hard'. Thats for what you buy and what you sell both animal and crop related. If i got the prices in IRL i did on here id be quids in!

Minor things. The colour of rape or Canola when its fit to harvest bugs me, It should be dark brown beacause its dead having been sparayed off not the colour it is in the game. Seasons shouldnt be a mod it should be part of the main game mechanics

Again Giants have to try and please all of the people so cant really veer away to one extreme or the other. For more realism they could introduce insects and bugs, Aphids and CSFB. What should be added is rolling your crops after drilling. Its what happens IRL but not on FS. Subsoiling as well maybe. Id like to see 'swath control'where the spreader or sprayer will turn off on it own on the headland

Thank you!
I farm in southern England. Arable, contract farming and *censored* just to give you hope i know roughly what im on about
I've seen rollers once here in Hampshire but normally its rare
pingu

Post by pingu »

Just want to say thanks to all of you who have taken your time to respond! Interesting read! :search:
<-- FS17 on an iMac 27" playing Lone Oak Farm and The Western Shore -->
Eische

Post by Eische »

Very interesting discussion here. I would like to add some points:
Every farm operation around the world is different. Different soil conditions, different climate, ... everything influences on how farmers around the world work.

And just like this, every player is playing FS in very different ways. For one Seasons is essential. For others Seasons is useless. We all have features on the list that would be awesome to be added. Most of the time it is to make the game more realistic. But as others already pointed out, a realistic game does not necessarily make fun (crop prices for example).

And this is the hardest part for Giants. They have to decide, what features will be beneficial for the game in terms of reaching the largest player base.

Staying with the Seasons example:
Putting this by default in the game will have some implications nobody has talked about yet: The responsible scripts will not be accessible anymore.
Think about still having slurry if you put straw for bedding? No way.
Increase feed trough capacity to hold more than two days? No way.
Increase the fill % of the water pump? No way.
Just a few examples of commonly changed things. After integration in the base game we will be dependent on Giants to change those things.

Used machine market?
Where is the point in just adding cheaper machines that have no drawbacks? It would just break the game, no one will buy new machines anymore. If this feature should be included, used machines should have some drawbacks in game requiring you to really think about buying it or not. Whatever not necessarily realistic drawbacks those are.

The best thing that could happen is that Giants integrates more basic scripts/functionalities into the game and providing access to more and more game files (animal data for example).
- dynamic fill planes for all placeable types
- feed mixer script not bound to TMR only
- basic production script supporting 3 inputs, 3 outputs (no GC needed --> productions on consoles)
So that the game is as flexible as possible and that less script mods are needed.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
BeerBob

Post by BeerBob »

I'm a farmer from the midwest, I would love to see more options with fertilizing fields. There should be more value put on using manure/slurry, it should count for 100% of the field's need for one application or even better allow you to get a bonus of say 120% crop yield for the next harvest after spreading manure/slurry. It would add more interest into raising animals.

I also think crop rotation should be made important. Different crops pull different resources from the ground, rotating crops help manage field quality.

Finally, I think more can be done with animal buildings. I would love to see a "mini game" type scenario with animal maintenance. For example, if you had a dairy barn it would be fun to be able to go inside the barn and push manure with a skid loader, drive the TMR down the feed aisle, push feed up throughout the day...

Just some quick thoughts, I just started playing FS about 3 weeks ago because my son enjoys watching. Instead of viewing Youtube videos of other people playing I get to do it for him. He always tells me to buy a skid loader but they seem pretty useless, unless you needed one inside a dairy barn... :)
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Welcome to the forum and the game. With the season's mod, there is a reduction in yield if you don't rotate crops. Also some mod maps, like lone oak, you have to go into the cow barn to clean out the manure.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.