Newbie Alert ⚠ Please Help

Illinois Farmer

Re: Newbie Alert ⚠ Please Help

Post by Illinois Farmer » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:17 pm

Haha, yeah I imagine it would have been frustrating. I saw fsclub struggle with it on medicine creek before too. It happens ha.
1280 acre farm, 3300 hogs, 200 cattle, and xbox one user and pc user.

george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:48 pm

BillyMais wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:14 pm
So maybe still a good advice for new players. I don't know how many hours of my life I wasted by testing out which mod made my combines not work. So I'm the best bad example obviously. :lol:

Btw: Is combine the same as havester? And is header the same as cutter?
There are many mods that could change the game in ways you would not expect, so it does take some experience to be able to quickly deduct what's wrong. It doesn't help that some implements have hydraulic hoses and others don't. Things like that usually happen because models from older versions are carried over without being fully updated to all the new bling.

The full name is "combine harvester" so people use it interchangeably, it means the same thing.
Also, cutter is the header as you've mentioned.

BillyMais

Post by BillyMais » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:10 pm

@ george.earlslight

Thanks for clarifying concepts. *thumbsup* And yes, now I'm not so newbie anymore and am kinda well positined and confident in the case of script mods (I use a lot) thanks to my struggles earlier this year when I started "virtual farming". Only thing left is getting all hotkeys right. :lol:

Another thing I'd like to recommend to thread starter DrJon. If you have a joystick use it from day one (it's really handy for front lifting jobs etc or everything that has a crane function...). Two weeks ago I bought one and now I think how was I ever able to play that game before without it? :biggrin2:
Unterwegs auf Riesenbeck by 0maxi0 *thumbsup*
Seasons, Maize Plus, CCM & Forage Extension, sowie AutoDrive, Courseplay, Guidance Steering, Manure System & ProSeed

Pict

Post by Pict » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:13 pm

blue_painted wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:33 am
I like Steam because it saves me from all that DVD hassle -- fragile media, finding a PC with a drive ... all those things ... and it keeps my settings in sync for when I change PC again.
Like I said, some people like it.

I don't. I like having as much control over my "personal computer" as is possible. That's personal as opposed to corporate (foreign corporate at that) and private as opposed to no idea who has access to my data.

I removed the DVD drive from my PC's long ago as it no longer has a use. Having some middle-ware tell you what should be on your PC, defeats the point of having a PC, I think. You'll still fly the steam flag for whatever reason suits and that's up to. Good luck with it.

Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:07 pm

Do you not use Google, since they track everything you search?
1280 acre farm, 3300 hogs, 200 cattle, and xbox one user and pc user.

icoombs

Post by icoombs » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:57 pm

Pict wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:02 pm

I never ever use Steam, no need for any 3rd party software eating resources and telling you what you can or cannot do with you own PC, which is supposed to stand for private computer. It becomes anything but private when you let the 3rd parties like steam in your virtual door.

That's me, others seem to like it. I would suggest that you do a bit of deeper research on the matter before taking the plunge.

:hi:
I take it you are a LINUX user then but if you are a windows user then it's not your PC it belongs to Microsoft and they can do whatever they like with it.

Steam is a great platform and handles all the game updates the only time this is an issue is when you play multiplayer and the server dose not update straight away. you may find you cannot join a server after your game has updated until the server updates.

I run both a steam version and one purchased directly through Giants which is used for a dedicated server but i personally would not purchase from epic store but that's mainly because i have been a long time Steam user and i don't want to have multiple game launchers running on my PC.

One of the good points with Giants is they are not constantly updating the game like some other games that update weekly or even daily, Giants only issue patches when needed.

DrJon

Post by DrJon » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:05 pm

BillyMais wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:10 pm
@ george.earlslight

Another thing I'd like to recommend to thread starter DrJon. If you have a joystick use it from day one (it's really handy for front lifting jobs etc or everything that has a crane function...). Two weeks ago I bought one and now I think how was I ever able to play that game before without it? :biggrin2:
Thanks that's good to know. Any in particular you can recommend?

BillyMais

Post by BillyMais » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:51 pm

DrJon wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:05 pm
Thanks that's good to know. Any in particular you can recommend?
You won't need a Joystick – it doesn't make things easier. But it is very helpful in sourcing out special commands and control. Plus you are one step closer to the feeling to control a tractor. As far as I figured out in the past weeks there are no disadvantages I came across – but quite a few advantages.

To answer your question: Yes, in the past weeks there are quite a few things that came to light. First make sure you grab a joystick with as many buttons as possible. Also make sure that it has buttons on the top of the stick so you can easily press a button with your thumb while controlling the joystick in the possible axis directions. So you can use different commands on the same direction of a joystick axis just by press and hold buttons while you use the stick's axis. Very handy! This is not only handy with loaders or cranes, even with normal field work. I put the implement commands onto the thumb buttons of my stick so I can drive and steer my tractor (feet on pedals, left hand on steering wheel) while harrowing, sowing or fertilizing etc. (right hand on stick and only my thumb controls lowering/lifting of the implement, activate/deactivate it etc.).

My joystick has "only" 8 buttons, 4 on the stick top for my thumb including a fire button for my index finger and 4 seperate buttons on the joysticks base (which are not reachable without taking my hand from the joystick). It's the less expensive one I found but, it's a SpeedLink Dark Tornado (Google Pictures: https://www.google.com/search?q=speedli ... 20&bih=937)

Another hint: My joystick uses 4 suction cups to get fixed on the table. It's ok and working if you have an absolute clean and smooth surface table plate. Unfortunately my table's not smooth enough, I need to renew the suction every few days. Kinda annoying but it's no big deal. What I want to say: You can use a joystick with suction cups, but try to get one that can manually be fixed to your desk. :mrgreen:

But that is ridiculous compared to the advantages the joystick gives me for gameplay. I rarely use the keyboard anymore. I would never play farming simulator without one - ever!

Short:

+ You need buttons - the more the better!
+ you need buttons you can easily use with your main hand thumb while having that hand on the stick!
+ Try to avoid one with suction cups!

- not enough buttons
- suction cups

Sorry for my lack of English, I need to re-learn it. :lol:
Unterwegs auf Riesenbeck by 0maxi0 *thumbsup*
Seasons, Maize Plus, CCM & Forage Extension, sowie AutoDrive, Courseplay, Guidance Steering, Manure System & ProSeed

Pict

Post by Pict » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:21 pm

icoombs wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:57 pm

I take it you are a LINUX user then but if you are a windows user then it's not your PC it belongs to Microsoft and they can do whatever they like with it.
You make many assumptions. Microsoft does not own my PC and cannot do what they want with it, much as though they would like too. I make sure of that. Also Linux is no guarantee of privacy. It comes down to how you set up and use these operating systems. Currently I wouldn't let Windows 10 anywhere near any of my PC's for privacy issues alone starting with it's very invasive EULA.

If I was using Steam on the other hand, that would not be the case, as Steam forces you to log in on line to use your software because they think it's their software. It'd be interesting to scrutinize it's EULA.

===================

One good reason for not using 3rd party like Steam, is that all your money goes to the developer. 3rd parties take a skim off the developer and also get paid by advertisers. So when you use them you are denying the developer money that could be used to make a better product and at the same time paying for advertising that you don't need. Advertising that takes up resources on your PC.

Downloading & installing from Giants is easy and that includes the patches. It would take a very lazy person to find that a chore they would prefer to hand over to 3rd party adware.

=================

Finally like I said at the start, I have zero interest in Steam for solid reasons and that's my personal choice. Other people seem to like it and that's their personal choice. That said this is the last response I will give to anyone in the Steam fan club who want to continue quoting me like having a personal choice is wrong.

:hi:

Ironsword

Post by Ironsword » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I notice that in the price chart there is a symbol for Forage, so my stupid question is what is Forage. I know hay, grass, straw, silage made from grass but I cant identify this one...

FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:23 pm

Forage would be a mixture of silage, hay, and/or straw. If you load a TMR mixer with the wrong ratio, it comes out as forage until the proper ratio is obtained.
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15
Facebook Page
Facebook Group
Join our Discord!

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins

Ironsword

Post by Ironsword » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:17 pm

FarmCatJenkins wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:23 pm
Forage would be a mixture of silage, hay, and/or straw. If you load a TMR mixer with the wrong ratio, it comes out as forage until the proper ratio is obtained.
Thank you for explaining me that! *thumbsup*