Stop leaking mods

Lexie

Re: Stop leaking mods

Post by Lexie »

I really understand people get frustrated and not want to upload to modhub anymore. So that's something Giants can improve as they are relying on mods for this game. I also understand Giants want test the mods before releasing, that's a good thing for players, but there are still enough mods with problems on modhub.

But for one or other reason, there is a different between EU and US modders as EU modders are more into uploading to modhub and accept the submission and testing thing of Giants. One place for mods is idealistic indeed, but not ideal situation for all of us. To be honest, i don't think there is a solution to this problem which makes all of us happy.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Given how the longevity of the game relies upon mods I think the modhub testing process is an area Giants could improve. Maybe some of the frustration would be eased if the level of consistency in testing was improved upon.
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

I feel the problem looks to aim itself towards the US and US modders is because there is such a "want" for US mods and machines with US configurations. That shows you how big of a market the US actually is. So everyone in the chain is taking advantage of that. From modders knowing American mods are a good incentive for people to donate to their patreons, to pirates getting their hands on American mods and leaking them to as many places as they can.

So in that regards it is a US problem.

aklein wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:50 pm .....Would it be a perfect world if everyone sent their stuff to only 1 location and stuff could only be gotten from one location? I think that might be idealistic but not optimal as I feel it would limit creativity.
In the perfect world, It wouldn't limit creativity, but would encourage modders to work together and make to as close to perfect mods as they could. Every modders offers what they do best to each project. But as I said and you said, a perfect world.

EDIT just to add to what I feel directly above... on maps for example, guys they are good with terrain and such do that. Then Mappers Paradise comes in and makes grain bins and buildings, and then you got Oxy creating all the neat gimicky details that give live to a map. And then some of the polish guys give it that rustic finish.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

There’s several Euro modders and community members commenting advice that the leakers need to be found out and blackballed because that’s what they did and what they are in a better place because of it
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

norfolk farmer wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:24 pm Given how the longevity of the game relies upon mods I think the modhub testing process is an area Giants could improve. Maybe some of the frustration would be eased if the level of consistency in testing was improved upon.
I think the mod testing team at Giants is probably still not filled with the number of personnel to do the actual testing to the high standard and through nature that the system needs. We have seen quite a few mods and maps release that raise some eyebrows over how much actual testing was done, if anyone actually loaded up the thing in game and actually play tested it, or whether as we have often been told the mod just got put through a program that checks for code errors and stuff and unless it finds something wrong there doesn't flag anything. We've also seen mods release which when you look at The Mod-hub Guidelines break a few of the rules, yet have been passed. Which makes you wonder what the mod-hub rules are for if the testers don't enforce them, or don't enforce them consistently to everyone and every mod. This is obviously quite annoying and irritating to the Mod Authors going through the mod submitting and testing process trying to get a mod certified and released. It's understandable why some mod authors just don't want to deal with that and want to release mods themselves. It's also frustrating for players, as we've all seen when players get upset when a interesting or exciting mod gets stuck in the testing back and forth for a long time, yet other mods go into testing and come out quickly, worse when these mods have bugs or issues that testing didn't spot. I can see why some players get confused and wonder "Why did Giants pass that mod when it's broken, but keep failing and rejecting this other mod which we know is good because it comes from Author A who does high quality work?"

So I for could accept a longer time between Mod Submission to Actual Release to Players, if during that extended time there was a more through and consistent testing process by Giants and a much stricter adherence to "Black & White" following of their own stated rules and guidelines and not allowing some mods to go through with Gray areas or flat out being in the Red.

The problem is because Giants make no money from the mods, and it's actually just an expense for them, perhaps they won't ever staff it with the resources it really needs to provide a better service and process to mod makers and the players.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

I've no idea what "The Answer" is, or even is there is one, but the one thing that GIANTS can do to help is to release a pre-test suite so that some classes of error can be picked up before the mod is submitted: I mean things like texture file format, XML correctness, file structure and so on. It goes without saying -- at least I think it does -- that no one would expect a mod with errors in the log to be accepted.

Apart from mods on modhub, the thing that Modders can do to help themselves is the same sort of thing that BulletBill has done -- set up a clean, safe site for mods -- when users can get your finished mods without wading through pages of dodgy popups and artificially slowed downloads, the worst of the rogue sites will lose their traffic.

As players and downloaders, for us it comes back to the good old days of FS-UK -- only go to those sites that have a good clean record. If you see stolen stuff, then report it.

One last thing:
I'd love to see a "contact author" link on the modhub; keep it behind a captcha, possibly even require login, but as a way to contact a modder to ask "Can I please use this or that from your mod" because sometimes it's hard to find the original author.

Edit:
I see cwattyeso has said much of this!
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

Just a few comments.

As stated above, don't share your work in progress MOD with just anybody that is happy to throw a few dollars your way, it will leak.

I think about 90% of my MODs come from the Modhub now, others come from links followed from YesMods or YouTube videos from the likes of Farmer Klein. Very occasionally I'll search on less reliable sites for things that I know exist but don't seem to be appearing anywhere. I don't think seeing YouTubers playthroughs with non-public MODs help the situation, if players see a Landrover being used in game and keep getting told how good it is and that it's private, it does sort of encourage a certain demographic to try and aquire it.

As for the Modhub testing, this has been slow and hit'n'miss for a while now. Bugs that you spot within a minute of loading the game (first release of FS19 Goldcrest) should just not get through the process. It may technically cost Giants money to test and host these MODs but I would argue that without these MODs the playerbase for the product would be greatly reduced and so they would be a lot worse off. Slow inconsistent testing and release is going to encourage more Modders to self publish and a more fractured MOD system.

If Giants can't keep up then they need to improve things, as I have said before why not get some of the testing done outside of Giants? Run it through your checking program to ensure there are no obvious errors and farm some of the checking out to someone like YesMods (or Farmer Klein/MrSealyP if they want), they are going to end up checking them anyways, so offer them a small payment, get them to sign an NDA and let them go to town with testing. Let MOD uploaders tick an option that they are happy for third party testing if you are concerned about permissions. Parts of the Farming Simulator community are great, use them to help improve things.
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
eric21

Post by eric21 »

chedly_farms wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:41 pm I feel the problem looks to aim itself towards the US and US modders is because there is such a "want" for US mods and machines with US configurations. That shows you how big of a market the US actually is. So everyone in the chain is taking advantage of that. From modders knowing American mods are a good incentive for people to donate to their patreons, to pirates getting their hands on American mods and leaking them to as many places as they can.

So in that regards it is a US problem.

aklein wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:50 pm .....Would it be a perfect world if everyone sent their stuff to only 1 location and stuff could only be gotten from one location? I think that might be idealistic but not optimal as I feel it would limit creativity.
In the perfect world, It wouldn't limit creativity, but would encourage modders to work together and make to as close to perfect mods as they could. Every modders offers what they do best to each project. But as I said and you said, a perfect world.

EDIT just to add to what I feel directly above... on maps for example, guys they are good with terrain and such do that. Then Mappers Paradise comes in and makes grain bins and buildings, and then you got Oxy creating all the neat gimicky details that give live to a map. And then some of the polish guys give it that rustic finish.
There isn't many home grown American modders these days, those u see are done by European modders
Missyb

Post by Missyb »

Lexie wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:18 am
So someone mentioned the console idea, only mods from modhub can be installed should work, but pc players will not like it I think.
Maybe add support for Steam Workshop too, so 2 places where you can download mods from ingame menu,
only one problem with that, is the players who buy the direct from Giants website, even i don't own a steam account.
!Warning I am dislayxic I will type how i think, if you don't understand any of it then please say!

Mods by Missyb FS22
Mods by MissyB Modding
Twitch Missyb Modding
Motö

Post by Motö »

OK, if the modders are punishing everyone for something they at the core are responsible for themselves - due dilligence and all that - they really need to get their heads out of their arses. If you hand out your stuff nilly willy, maybe even trying to make a quick buck, you are asking for trouble.

I know there is a lot of work going on in the modding community of this game, and it is what makes this game strong. But in this day and age you have to continually provide to maintain clientele and if these modders choose to shut everbody out, they probably won't be missed in a few months when others step up to the plate.

Why punish a whole community, when you can just stop giving out mods to people you don't know before they are ready for release. If the modders get together and test each others mods they don't have to hand out code to anyone on "the outside" and heck, the quality control might be more efficient.
Last edited by Motö on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

This right here is why I asked this thread to be locked a long time ago. Way to blame modders vs blame the people leaking the mods.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Motö

Post by Motö »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:43 pm This right here is why I asked this thread to be locked a long time ago. Way to blame modders vs blame the people leaking the mods.
Of course leakers shouldn't leak. Just as a thief shouldn't steal, does that make you want to put your wallet on the curb overnight? There will always be people ready to take advantage untill you get to a closed circle with people you know and the gaming world is no different.

One way to stop leaking is stopping the leakers. Another way is making sure there is nothing to leak.
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

eric21 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:56 pm
There isn't many home grown American modders these days, those u see are done by European modders
I figure as much, I wasn't referring to their nationality as much as the type of mods they make.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Actually I leave my wallet and checkbook Iin my truck overnight. Also they are trying something and this is what they decided. Nothing else needs to be said on three topic because there is nothing anyone here can do about it.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Motö

Post by Motö »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:20 pm Actually I leave my wallet and checkbook Iin my truck overnight.
I think we experience a difference in population density in our respective home areas! :mrgreen:

I have lived in places before where it was OK not to lock your front door, and in some way it's a lot less stressfull, so all the more power to you! :smileynew: