1%
No votes
2%
5%

Total votes: 110

CowsGoMoo

Re: Season length poll

Post by CowsGoMoo »

Instead of constantly changing season length depending on season (didn't I read somewhere that is a no no?) why not just change time scale to faster?
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
iw_shawn

Post by iw_shawn »

I like 9 day seasons at 5x speed. I play on 4x maps, Eieresholt currently (Spring 4th year) and find it possible but challenging to get all the work complete during the year. I’m focused on dairy farming (~300 cows) and running the BGA, I have silage and hay operations running mid spring through early winter. Fertilizing (digestate and dry) constantly. Planting mid spring, late summer, and mid to late fall. Most winters I will fast forward after caring for the animals, but this past winter I bought a forest lot beside one of my fields and clear cut to expand my field so left thing at 5x.

I’m thinking next year I will need to change to 12 day seasons if I decide to buy more fields. My sweet spot is needing all 3 of my tractors running most days it’s not raining to get all the work done. I try to avoid running into the night, but will when necessary and have been finding it more frequent this year which is making me consider upping the season length.
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

As of this post, only 5/55 run longer than 9 day seasons. I've been thinking about lengthening my seasons to 15 days.
PS4
-----------------------------
I like jumping off the deep end
FSarndrone

Post by FSarndrone »

CowsGoMoo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:11 am Instead of constantly changing season length depending on season (didn't I read somewhere that is a no no?) why not just change time scale to faster?
It’s good to only to do that in late winter cause it does stuff to the weather and your crops might die
I love multiplayer :mrgreen: and John Deere :coolnew:
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

Let’s see...

If I play 15 day seasons, in real time, and play two hours each night, I can finish a game year in just under 2 Earth years 👍 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣
PS4
dimi

Post by dimi »

i voted for 9 days since that is what i am using at the moment on Sandy Bay, but except from 3 day seasons i have used them all.

Usually i start with 6 days on a new map, but each year in winter i evaluate if i need to bump it up with 3 days. i am not very quick with replacing or upgrading equipment so if i buy new land or even animals i will notice i run out of time. i don't like to feel too rushed so that's when i increase the season length.
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

I started Welker on 9 day seasons, but I can already tell as I'm going to acquire more fields I'll most likely have to up that to allow enough time to handle all of them.

Also set the clock to 5x.
Last edited by Bryan83 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
JaVaDy

Post by JaVaDy »

I started seasons with 3-day seasons (real time). After trying 9-day season I was convinced that this is the best choice for me.
Former Xbox One S player, now on PC :-D
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

New start on Lone Oak Farm 19 with 15 day seasons and running in real time... seriously leaves me a ton of time to fiddle around with anything this map offers. Perfect!
PS4
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

I would say the poll is fairly meaningless, if you don't also ask what speed people play on. Not surprised that many play on 9 day seasons, but NO WAY are they playing on realtime, and working 8-12 hours a day. Right now, I'm playing 3 day, but realtime 1x speed, only working 8am-6pm, except for harvesting contract work, and my own harvest season if necessary. Previously, 6 day, but 5x speed - however I worked 24x7 and constantly working nighttime was getting to me.

As far as seasons "real time" issues, from playing with too high of an acceleration (not blaming them, its a mod after all, but need to understand these problems better as I have seen LOTS of wonkiness with seasons, and I suspect RT issues on my slow console) - what would be "better" for seasons performance? Playing x15 speed on 9 day seasons, or 5x speed on 3 day seasons? Does seasons do all of its critical "daily" calculations after midnight, or do some pre-calaculation before midnight? ( noticed it takes about 5 minutes of realtime, no matter game speed, to update growth stages on map, after midnight). I'm seeing issues with growth stages skipped, and contracts hardly ever coming up (they appear FINE, if I save and reload). Basically, I understand you can't play Seasons at x5000 or even x120 speed, but when should you NOT speed things up, i.e. when does it the need time to perform the calculations. I've tried going to 1x prior to midnight and then staying on 1x until I see the growth map change, but I'm still seeing problems.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Did you read the comments or just look at the poll? People talk about playing pom 15x speed or 5x speed. Also when it becomes night, I sleep through the night. During the winter, I turn it to 120x and haven't had a problem with seasons.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
gmoody79

Post by gmoody79 »

I usually start on 3 day for the first year so I can acquire the needed feed or crops for what aninals I run, mostly cattle and pigs. I was on Stone Valley 4x but since Stone Valley FA has been released, I've been on it. With Maize Plus, Maize Plus Forage Extension and CCM, I need a lot more feed types to run animals. So I'm into year 2 and just now have all food I need to start them. The Maize Plus have made it more enjoyable to me.
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

dan1109 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:51 am I would say the poll is fairly meaningless,
Some people are of the personality type that they cannot join a conversation without first pooping on it. Cheers!
PS4
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

FWIW, I have three maps right now all at 15 day seasons and I'm playing them at realtime. Who cares? Is there really an end-goal of amassing in-game wealth or am I here to plow fields and feed cows? One thing is for sure, the sense of urgency is gone and I'm totally relaxed now. I have no idea if I'll make it to winter at this speed and I don't care if I do. Cheers!

P.S. if I've learned one thing in my years, ask people the right question and they will volunteer the details.
PS4
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

CaptGoodvibes wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:27 pm FWIW, I have three maps right now all at 15 day seasons and I'm playing them at realtime. Who cares? Is there really an end-goal of amassing in-game wealth or am I here to plow fields and feed cows? One thing is for sure, the sense of urgency is gone and I'm totally relaxed now. I have no idea if I'll make it to winter at this speed and I don't care if I do. Cheers!

P.S. if I've learned one thing in my years, ask people the right question and they will volunteer the details.
How do go about playing 3 maps at once? Do you say like certain days are for certain maps? I seem to focus all my attention to one map at a time.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.