How many mods is too much?

IceUul

How many mods is too much?

Post by IceUul »

Just wondering is there a limit in FS19, i have currently 1000 mods installed in my mod folder, they are all active same
time! In FS17 i had 275 mods in the end, but in FS19 there are so much more high quality good stuff coming, i cannot resist
and need to add them all :lol:
Why i add so much, first of all i like if i want to buy something, i have choice, second lot of mods adds new nice features.
I mean, maybe we have more than a year still left with FS19, for this time i expect 1500-2000 mods, what would be worth
to get.

Have anyone noticed that higher mod count starts affect game performance?
I am worried i am going to need to upgrade my computer, it is not able to handle so much mods anymore :confusednew:

How much mods you got, what system you are running, any problems?
FSarndrone

Re: How many mods is too much?

Post by FSarndrone »

I know before I redid my fs19 ( probably because of tree mod) the more mods I got the slower it was
I love multiplayer :mrgreen: and John Deere :coolnew:
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

More mods means more loading times and if you use script mods it increases the chance for mod conflicts.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

I have 757 in my folder, I only load 1/4 - 1/3 of them for a game though depending on what i am doing on that map. If I am doing a large grain farm in America I don't need mods for Europe or animals for instance.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

1700 mods but I’m pretty picky with my script mods don’t run any I don’t absolutely use
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

Exactly one more than my PS4 will hold.
PS4
-----------------------------
I like jumping off the deep end
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

I have two different folders, and both have about 150 in them.
MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

2.7 quadrillion
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

Yes, when you have more mods than you ever use :lol: . Do you really need that 100 horsper dozer you haven't used in 6 months?
If I remember right something like mods use up your ram and the more a system has the better it can handle. I remember hearing of a few pc players back in 17 that just about every mod on modhub and had no problems because they had 1.21 jigawatts of ram.

Good excuse to go get yourself that 128gb kit huh.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
TobiHH

Post by TobiHH »

Lately I saw a log from somebody who has 2008 Mods in his folder. He was wondering that he had some Global Company issues.

Really crazy to have so much mods and don`t understand that this will most probably cause some mod conflicts or low FPS. I`m usually around 100 Mods, and most of them are script mods. Don`t have any extra tractor as I`m only using the Claas DLC stuff. I have 1 extra combine and some tipper mods, that`s all and enough for my playstyle.
livesea72

Post by livesea72 »

I hadn't even cracked 100 mods before I had to send my new computer back for a new graphics card.i would probably be in the mid 300s as I use alot of stuff I download,i don't like to install mods I might use later as I feel like they are just taking up space.
FS13 xbox360/ FS15 ps4/xbox one/ FS17 xbox one/ps4pro platinum trophy /FS19 ps4pro platinum trophy/ FS 22 PC
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

This thread is crazy lol. I usually have around 30 mods in a game folder and I think that's too much!
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
aklein

Post by aklein »

One more than you actually are using is to many. When you launch the game the first thing it does it iterate through the mods in the mod folder before it even gets to the main menu. Just open your log.txt file if your on PC in your My Games/Farming Simulator 19/ folder. This means some aspect of every mod becomes loaded into system memory. If your system has just 8GB of RAM then you really want to save on memory usage anyway possible. Even 16GB systems depending on the map will struggle with mem swapping to the hard drive with a lot of mods. Once your system starts swapping out memory performance will tank.

This is where you can get global conflicts from mods you have in your mod folder but not activated in game. In FS17 there where some I think the big blue baler/wrapper thing had a conflict at one point that if it was in your mod folder regardless of being activated or not it would brake every baler in game.

If you want to be a mod collector that's find an dandy just don't store them in your game mod folder. Categorize them how ever you want put them on a cloud storage share save them to an external drive whatever works and then put just the ones in your mod folder you actively use. At the end of the day your game will run better.

I feel that every so often you should look at your log.txt file and see if you have mods just taking up space. I suspect alot of folks with high mod counts have mods that don't even show up in game and players don't even realize it. Mods that are named wrong, mods that are missing the right version number in the moddesc.xml. Mods that report missing moddec.xml files entirely because maybe there a zip within a zip. With the over abundance of mods for 19 compared to 17 there is no reason to use a mod that tossses lua errors or other errors your gameplay will thank you.
Pict

Post by Pict »

Like a few have mentioned, the more mods you have the slower the loading time & the more potential for a conflict. I've noticed that loading times are noticeably slower once I go over 200 mods, so I avoid that by doing the following;

I use ModManager to set up a folder for a map I want to run a game on, then add only the essential mods required to start. As the game progresses and I feel the need for something that's not available in the shop, I'll transfer a suitable mod that I've already tested and most probably tweaked, into the folder. If I decide at some point down the track to sell it, then I also delete it from the mod folder.

I usually have about 4 maps that I like and play on. I can swap from one to another in a heartbeat an know I'm not going to lose any significant amount of loading time.

ModManager is the 1st and most essential tool I install after FS19 and it's patches and it comes before any other mod. Sure I could do it all manually, but why bother when such a useful and powerful tool is available.

Link to ModManager http://dizelsoft.ucoz.ua/
FSarndrone

Post by FSarndrone »

aklein wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:34 pm One more than you actually are using is to many. When you launch the game the first thing it does it iterate through the mods in the mod folder before it even gets to the main menu. Just open your log.txt file if your on PC in your My Games/Farming Simulator 19/ folder. This means some aspect of every mod becomes loaded into system memory. If your system has just 8GB of RAM then you really want to save on memory usage anyway possible. Even 16GB systems depending on the map will struggle with mem swapping to the hard drive with a lot of mods. Once your system starts swapping out memory performance will tank.

This is where you can get global conflicts from mods you have in your mod folder but not activated in game. In FS17 there where some I think the big blue baler/wrapper thing had a conflict at one point that if it was in your mod folder regardless of being activated or not it would brake every baler in game.

If you want to be a mod collector that's find an dandy just don't store them in your game mod folder. Categorize them how ever you want put them on a cloud storage share save them to an external drive whatever works and then put just the ones in your mod folder you actively use. At the end of the day your game will run better.

I feel that every so often you should look at your log.txt file and see if you have mods just taking up space. I suspect alot of folks with high mod counts have mods that don't even show up in game and players don't even realize it. Mods that are named wrong, mods that are missing the right version number in the moddesc.xml. Mods that report missing moddec.xml files entirely because maybe there a zip within a zip. With the over abundance of mods for 19 compared to 17 there is no reason to use a mod that tossses lua errors or other errors your gameplay will thank you.
That’s why I try to only get the ones I am currently using and the ones I am going to get in the near future
I love multiplayer :mrgreen: and John Deere :coolnew: