Millennial farms

texasplowboy

Re: Millennial farms

Post by texasplowboy »

From some of the post it seems that many have complaints about Giants testing and modhub. I can certainly relate to this. But IMHO I see this. PC and console gaming is part of the issue. Its as if PC gaming is now suffering from console versions of mods in general *not only FS). Also I think modhub is a great ideal, but it does cause some sensitive issues. I don't use the in game modhub, but do use the manual dl/install. So one has to ponder the question, if the next vers. of FS were to use only a dl in game service if PC players would buy it.
Airborne82nd

Post by Airborne82nd »

texasplowboy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:53 pm From some of the post it seems that many have complaints about Giants testing and modhub. I can certainly relate to this. But IMHO I see this. PC and console gaming is part of the issue. Its as if PC gaming is now suffering from console versions of mods in general *not only FS). Also I think modhub is a great ideal, but it does cause some sensitive issues. I don't use the in game modhub, but do use the manual dl/install. So one has to ponder the question, if the next vers. of FS were to use only a dl in game service if PC players would buy it.
Well, it's a good point, and i remember saying long ago here, that Giants became too dependent on Modders, and not themselves. Likely because at least when it comes to maps, Modders seem to do a much better job.

I mean the American version of farms Giants creates, is quite frankly god awful imo. And seems filled with mountains, canyons, creeks, bridges, garbage, trees, streams and anything...but...an American farm in farm country.

It's beautiful to look at if you were on vacation somewhere, but not on a farming game.

Modders fill the void, and Mappers Paradise whether it's Welker or this, do come out with maps that look like midwestern farms that make up the farm belt at least in this country. I've recommended they put this map out in Beta, showing that in the Modhub, in so at least folks can play it knwoing changes will be made. But apparently the game won't allow that.

So, in short, i think for the next game, Giants may want to see if they could hire some of these young folks to work for them on map design, in so to come out with more quality and quantity maps, and if that means we have to pay via dlc for much more of a variety of maps, i don't mind at all.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

But the thing is not every North American farm is massive, this isnthe problem and caused a few arguments "my farm is better than your farm"

Back to the issue though,
texasplowboy

Post by texasplowboy »

Airborne82nd wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:55 pm
texasplowboy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:53 pm From some of the post it seems that many have complaints about Giants testing and modhub. I can certainly relate to this. But IMHO I see this. PC and console gaming is part of the issue. Its as if PC gaming is now suffering from console versions of mods in general *not only FS). Also I think modhub is a great ideal, but it does cause some sensitive issues. I don't use the in game modhub, but do use the manual dl/install. So one has to ponder the question, if the next vers. of FS were to use only a dl in game service if PC players would buy it.
Well, it's a good point, and i remember saying long ago here, that Giants became too dependent on Modders, and not themselves. Likely because at least when it comes to maps, Modders seem to do a much better job.

I mean the American version of farms Giants creates, is quite frankly god awful imo. And seems filled with mountains, canyons, creeks, bridges, garbage, trees, streams and anything...but...an American farm in farm country.

It's beautiful to look at if you were on vacation somewhere, but not on a farming game.

Modders fill the void, and Mappers Paradise whether it's Welker or this, do come out with maps that look like midwestern farms that make up the farm belt at least in this country. I've recommended they put this map out in Beta, showing that in the Modhub, in so at least folks can play it knwoing changes will be made. But apparently the game won't allow that.

So, in short, i think for the next game, Giants may want to see if they could hire some of these young folks to work for them on map design, in so to come out with more quality and quantity maps, and if that means we have to pay via dlc for much more of a variety of maps, i don't mind at all.
I agree I can't get into Giants maps. I usually build my own maps. I'm no pro at it but its fun. Its now even better with FS19 and build/update a map ideal. Me and a buddy of mine are working on recreating Larsons farm. The plan is to build as much as we can (as I said not a pro) then release it as a beta/community project. I use to build models in FSX but just got to old to do it anymore.
texasplowboy

Post by texasplowboy »

eric21 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:25 pm But the thing is not every North American farm is massive, this isnthe problem and caused a few arguments "my farm is better than your farm"

yeah I suppose somewhere some how those bragging rights lead to funds .
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

fenixguy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:24 pm Viewing, getting triggered by, and replying/participating in threads like this is also completely voluntary.
I don't think it is fair to say this, no one wants a toxic community and things like building hype and being let down can certainly cause a toxic community. This helps absolutely no one, people get mad at the modders for building up the hype, the modders stop making mods, now no one can have good mods. I don't necessarily believe shutting down the testing thread will curb the toxicity, but I can see where he is coming from.
texasplowboy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:53 pm Its as if PC gaming is now suffering from console versions of mods in general
It's not consoles fault that mappers paradise refuses to release the console version (which should be compatible with pc) because they're fancy pc version can't pass testing. It's not mappers paradises fault giants don't have a reliable testing system. The main thing holding back modding in general is giants, both pc AND console.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

Somewhat off subject:

I see a few people complaining about people complaining and some people complaining about those complainers, and saying the forum is toxic. One of the best things I did, was adding “complainers and toxic posters” to my foe list. I no longer see their posts, and in turn the forums have become a better experience.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Oh just to clear up my last post, I don't mean Chedly's testing discussion thread, I'm primarily talking about the official giants testing list.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

Dont know if anybody noticed but looks like Giants also just released a beta version of a mod testing program. Hopefully this will make it better for modders to get their mods error free before submission
Playing on PC and PS4
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

eric21 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:25 pm But the thing is not every North American farm is massive, this isnthe problem and caused a few arguments "my farm is better than your farm"

I think that causes a translation error though when trying bring American farms down to the 2x map. I know not every American farm is huge but you can farm the entire map and be considered a small farmer in real life. Now figure towns, cliffs, waterfalls, a highway system, and random sell points and you can begin to see how it starts to feel cramped. I feel that’s what ravenport specifically suffers from, trying to be too much and ends up just kinda being not a whole lot of anything. It’s tough when field sizes equal what I leave for the deer in the corner of my field in front of my deer stand. Then I’m supposed to buy 6-8 of those fields and buy a 620 quad? It just brings it back to reminding you it’s a bit on the arcade side of things. That’s why I feel maps like this thread is about might do well utilizing what you have. Kinda how welkers manages to feel big. But then they seem to grab criticism from the crowd that says they are boring flat and square so who the hell knows anything anymore besides everyone will never be happy.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

I’m pretty sure chedly blocked me😂
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

Mwal wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:51 am I’m pretty sure chedly blocked me😂
Nah, your still good.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
raran

Post by raran »

Mwal wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:50 am

I think that causes a translation error though when trying bring American farms down to the 2x map. I know not every American farm is huge but you can farm the entire map and be considered a small farmer in real life. Now figure towns, cliffs, waterfalls, a highway system, and random sell points and you can begin to see how it starts to feel cramped. I feel that’s what ravenport specifically suffers from, trying to be too much and ends up just kinda being not a whole lot of anything. It’s tough when field sizes equal what I leave for the deer in the corner of my field in front of my deer stand. Then I’m supposed to buy 6-8 of those fields and buy a 620 quad? It just brings it back to reminding you it’s a bit on the arcade side of things. That’s why I feel maps like this thread is about might do well utilizing what you have. Kinda how welkers manages to feel big. But then they seem to grab criticism from the crowd that says they are boring flat and square so who the hell knows anything anymore besides everyone will never be happy.

Ravenport is not that different from Lone Oak. One gets scolded the other revered.

People just like to make this perfect picture in their minds and when one little leaf is off the whole experience is bad.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

chedly_farms wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:43 am
Mwal wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:51 am I’m pretty sure chedly blocked me😂
Nah, your still good.
Oh good👍🏻 I would rather not make enemies
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

raran wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:11 am

Ravenport is not that different from Lone Oak. One gets scolded the other revered.

People just like to make this perfect picture in their minds and when one little leaf is off the whole experience is bad.
I don’t know about that just a quick look at the maps will show how much more space is utilized for farming. I also don’t get to terribly worked up about the garbage, as im fairly certain any farmer or anyone who is out rurally often can bring you to a run down farm with stuff everywhere or has a junk pile of their own haha. I also get the feel they were going for, buying an old run down farm and fixing it up. The part I don’t understand is why you couldn’t get rid of it. Ravenport was just kinda meh.