Seriously product placement in the Alpine Farming Expansion map

aklein

Seriously product placement in the Alpine Farming Expansion map

Post by aklein »

Sound off below and let me know am I the only one that thinks Giants is going to far if they leave this in the new Alpine map when it drops in Nov?

The above image is at the 2:13 mark of the Farmcon video entitled "Designing the new map for FS19". Its for a real dedicated server hosting company. This is clearly paid targeted advertising aka product placement. On every other Giants maps we have had billboards for fake companies and then this shows up. Is it a sign of things to come with future Giants maps? Monetizing the game is fine, monetizing DLC content is fine. But taking money to put blatant advertising for real companies within a Giants map in a DLC is not fine IMO.

If I stream or record this map and this thing shows up its as if I am endorsing this companies products which I don't know this company from any other and have no idea if they offer a good service. All I know is they offered money to put this in the map so every player and viewer of FS content see it. Whats next instead of seeing ads for fizzypop we gonna gee Monster ads?
iwan073

Re: Seriously product placement in the Alpine Farming Expansion map

Post by iwan073 »

Why would it seem like you’re endorsing a company that has its name somewhere in a game?

Is Bigtractorpower endorsing Coca Cola because a tractor he’s filming drives past a Coca Cola poster?

I think you’re overreacting

As long as it’s not constantly in your face, I don’t care about it.
Ignorance is bliss
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I mean it is weird to have it on there if it is there for console considering you need licenses for everything else, for example McDonalds on sandy bay had to be removed. Therefore I would assume they worked out a deal with g portal
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

I hate advertising as much as anyone else but considering we are getting what looks to be the best Giants map ever plus a bunch of amazing equipment for only $20, I am OK with it.
ALiEN JiM

Post by ALiEN JiM »

haha I can see it now! having to drive our tractor down the streets of New York with flashing lights and video advertising billboards on every building! just to get to one tiny patch of land lol
Lexie

Post by Lexie »

I also saw a sign of Revell, it's a manufacturer of model kits. I do not have that many problems with it, as you see those kind of signs also in the real world.
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

Who cares? If it puts some money in Giants pocket so they can keep the game price lower and without a dip in quality why does it matter? They aren't forcing you to watch a video everytime you start the game it isn't a big deal.
If this bugs you you must just rage watching movies or tv? They are filled with product placement more blatent than that. I am watching Season 5 of Billions and for some reason I really want a Fiji water...
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
Eonellivlem

Post by Eonellivlem »

MrSquealypig wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:35 am I hate advertising as much as anyone else but considering we are getting what looks to be the best Giants map ever plus a bunch of amazing equipment for only $20, I am OK with it.
Thats like saying your fine with sweatshops as long as you get your Nike trainers cheaper :(
I'm perfectly fine with advertising but not in a game thats targeted for ages 3 and above.
MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

Eonellivlem wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:51 am
MrSquealypig wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:35 am I hate advertising as much as anyone else but considering we are getting what looks to be the best Giants map ever plus a bunch of amazing equipment for only $20, I am OK with it.
Thats like saying your fine with sweatshops as long as you get your Nike trainers cheaper :(
I'm perfectly fine with advertising but not in a game thats targeted for ages 3 and above.
In what world are advertisements as bad as sweatshops?

And FS is basically already an advertisement for farm equipment brands.
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

ThatCanadianGuy wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:45 am I am watching Season 5 of Billions and for some reason I really want a Fiji water...
😄
MrSquealypig wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:23 am In what world are advertisements as bad as sweatshops?

And FS is basically already an advertisement for farm equipment
Unless it’s for Sweatshops”R”Us

Anyways... so yeah. Are you endorsing Fendt because you drive one in FS?
Are you endorsing air pollution because you’re driving that Fendt?
Etc etc.
Ignorance is bliss
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

The issue I have is that it's very jarring. It's huge and completely out of character with the rest of the map, sticking out like a sore thumb... which is probably the point.

It will be disappointing if this becomes a thing.
Grey20

Post by Grey20 »

For me I don't like bill boards in the game at all, I like to be able to pull up anywhere on a map and view the nice scenery and drive around look around with no distraction
I play fs20 mostly these days I think the map would be far nicer without the many billboards, if that's the way of the future then we either buy or not.
aklein

Post by aklein »

Thank you all for your comments and views. To use a popular term recently maybe I was just triggered. An odd thing I find now that I have slept on it so to speak is that this billboard is for a dedicated serer hosting company that offers some fairly expensive FS servers as compared to other hosts and only PC players as a target audience. Consoles cant connect to dedicated severs because they cant crossplay with PC. Could this be a sign that crossplay is a wishful feature in the future?
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Really what difference does it make? If you don't want it in your streams or recording, then don't stream or record.
Eonellivlem

Post by Eonellivlem »

MrSquealypig wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:23 am In what world are advertisements as bad as sweatshops?

And FS is basically already an advertisement for farm equipment brands.
When a game is targeting age 3 and above you have some very impressionable people. They see something in a game they enjoy and they might attach the advertisement to the product. Why do you think companies pay tens of thousands for product placement in movies. The ads in the OP screenshot might be innocuous enough but where does it end.