what is your Favorite British map?

CaptGoodvibes
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 7:26 pm

Re: what is your Favorite British map?

Post by CaptGoodvibes » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:00 am

The main reason I like to keep a UK map installed is when I have a whim to drive on the left.
PS4
-----------------------------
I like jumping off the deep end

kevthedev
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:11 pm

Re: what is your Favorite British map?

Post by kevthedev » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:36 am

The maps aren't as good as fs 17 or 15 .
FS15 had some belters :)
I wish i know how to make maps tbh.

User avatar
RODHA
Posts: 4762
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:41 pm

Re: what is your Favorite British map?

Post by RODHA » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:51 am

Purbeck Valley Farm
PS4 / FS19

blue_painted
Posts: 732
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: what is your Favorite British map?

Post by blue_painted » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:56 am

In order ...

1. Greenwich Valley
2. Little Norton
3. Somerset Farms

.. the only reason Oakfield isn't in the list is that I haven't played it on FS19
Playing £300 PC with a £95 graphics card, £15 XBox controller and £65 SSD ... (and sometimes £200 laptop)

Patton_M47
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:33 pm

Re: what is your Favorite British map?

Post by Patton_M47 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:57 pm

thanks but my project is on hold and greenbale said no to greenwich
I do FS19 old school mods and FS19 military mods for PC let me know if you want anything done
I don't have any form of social media nor discord FYI
Ban time total: 7 days
AKA Oberfeldwebel Patton

SimulatedFarmer
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:40 am

Re: what is your Favorite British map?

Post by SimulatedFarmer » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:01 pm

Sussex Farms

Good starting farm set up and lots of room to expand, nice special features, good sounds and low starting slot count on consoles.

CaptGoodvibes
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 7:26 pm

Re: what is your Favorite British map?

Post by CaptGoodvibes » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:55 pm

Rabbitbugs93 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:18 pm
Greenwich valley..tried Little Norton but just had to go back to Greenwich.
I'd be interested in your thoughts on both maps. I enjoy both but only have room for one. Do you have a handful of pros and cons off the top of your head? Cheers!
PS4
-----------------------------
I like jumping off the deep end

Patton_M47
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:33 pm

Re: what is your Favorite British map?

Post by Patton_M47 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:53 am

SimulatedFarmer wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:01 pm
Sussex Farms

Good starting farm set up and lots of room to expand, nice special features, good sounds and low starting slot count on consoles.
hmm maybe
I do FS19 old school mods and FS19 military mods for PC let me know if you want anything done
I don't have any form of social media nor discord FYI
Ban time total: 7 days
AKA Oberfeldwebel Patton

SimulatedFarmer
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:40 am

Re: what is your Favorite British map?

Post by SimulatedFarmer » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:43 am

If you try it, check out some of the good videos. MrSealyP and Daggerwin. I was totally confused at first. It’s almost like a different world. I haven’t played a different map in 3 months and I’m not bored, yet.
Patton_M47 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:53 am
SimulatedFarmer wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:01 pm
Sussex Farms

Good starting farm set up and lots of room to expand, nice special features, good sounds and low starting slot count on consoles.
hmm maybe

BulletBill
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:50 am

Re: what is your Favorite British map?

Post by BulletBill » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:32 am

Patton_M47 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:11 pm
Im working on a project of getting all the Best European maps into a 64x map. What are you favorite British maps?
I admire your idea for it's size, not sure on your map making experience but here are just a few issues/roadblocks you will hit which you might not have thought of.

1) Your unlikely to get permission from other map makers to use there maps. Most map makers have invested so much time and energy into there maps they won't someone else changing it or using it in another project.

2) Even if you got permission for all 32 original maps your missing the fact each maps DEM terrain will be at massively different heights and almost impossible to blend together without changing large parts of each map. I know as I tried this with my 4 released maps, it looked ridiculous. You'll have height differences of 100s of metres.

3) Ignoring the first two issues your next one is a big one, performance.
To make a larger map work properly the density files have to be increased, at 64x default size this makes them a huge pixel size. At that size the density files will be 32,000 x 32,000 pixels per image. That is a image that is over 3GB in size for just 1 of the density files.

Everytime the game has to update or load these files (like when you load the PDA map up) it will tax even a top PC to it's limit. (Try just saving a texture file with a pixel size over 16,000 pixels and just see how much your PC starts to groan.) It will cause huge stutters and pauses when updating ingame. On some medium or slower spec PCs this will most likely just crash the game.

This is just the way GIANTS game engine works and it has it's limits.
Personally it's no fun playing on a map with bad performance.

Lastly I have to ask what is the point of such a large map? Even if it was a blank flat 64x map, at an average speed of 30mph it will take you approx. 20mins just to drive from one side of the map to the other. Imagine forgetting something and having to go back.

You'll have an area that is 6,400 hectares in size which if you were to work, say using a 45ft header combine it would take you over 1,700 hours to harvest that map just once. That's 70 solid days of non stop farm sim play!

I know players like to feel like they are part of a huge landscape and a much bigger world. But realistically how big an area can you actually farm. Even if you have no job, no responsibilities at all you would still struggle to ever fully work a a 4x map in its entirety let alone anything bigger.

I just wouldn't want you to put in a ton of work to then hit 1 of the issues mentioned and decide to give up.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU

Ado239
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:57 am
Location: Ireland

Re: what is your Favorite British map?

Post by Ado239 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:49 am

Im a big fan of Sussex but that flickering thing it when around the main yard is annoying
PS4 player. Case is ace but fear the Deere! *thumbsup*

Patton_M47
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:33 pm

Re: what is your Favorite British map?

Post by Patton_M47 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:10 pm

BulletBill wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:32 am
Patton_M47 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:11 pm
Im working on a project of getting all the Best European maps into a 64x map. What are you favorite British maps?
I admire your idea for it's size, not sure on your map making experience but here are just a few issues/roadblocks you will hit which you might not have thought of.

1) Your unlikely to get permission from other map makers to use there maps. Most map makers have invested so much time and energy into there maps they won't someone else changing it or using it in another project.

2) Even if you got permission for all 32 original maps your missing the fact each maps DEM terrain will be at massively different heights and almost impossible to blend together without changing large parts of each map. I know as I tried this with my 4 released maps, it looked ridiculous. You'll have height differences of 100s of metres.

3) Ignoring the first two issues your next one is a big one, performance.
To make a larger map work properly the density files have to be increased, at 64x default size this makes them a huge pixel size. At that size the density files will be 32,000 x 32,000 pixels per image. That is a image that is over 3GB in size for just 1 of the density files.

Everytime the game has to update or load these files (like when you load the PDA map up) it will tax even a top PC to it's limit. (Try just saving a texture file with a pixel size over 16,000 pixels and just see how much your PC starts to groan.) It will cause huge stutters and pauses when updating ingame. On some medium or slower spec PCs this will most likely just crash the game.

This is just the way GIANTS game engine works and it has it's limits.
Personally it's no fun playing on a map with bad performance.

Lastly I have to ask what is the point of such a large map? Even if it was a blank flat 64x map, at an average speed of 30mph it will take you approx. 20mins just to drive from one side of the map to the other. Imagine forgetting something and having to go back.

You'll have an area that is 6,400 hectares in size which if you were to work, say using a 45ft header combine it would take you over 1,700 hours to harvest that map just once. That's 70 solid days of non stop farm sim play!

I know players like to feel like they are part of a huge landscape and a much bigger world. But realistically how big an area can you actually farm. Even if you have no job, no responsibilities at all you would still struggle to ever fully work a a 4x map in its entirety let alone anything bigger.

I just wouldn't want you to put in a ton of work to then hit 1 of the issues mentioned and decide to give up.
very good point maybe i should wait till there are better PC and a new farm sim
I do FS19 old school mods and FS19 military mods for PC let me know if you want anything done
I don't have any form of social media nor discord FYI
Ban time total: 7 days
AKA Oberfeldwebel Patton

User avatar
chedly_farms
Posts: 2686
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:05 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: what is your Favorite British map?

Post by chedly_farms » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:40 pm

My favorite British map is marwell. I could go into a 6 page explanation why. I have temporarily retired it, until I come up with a new angle on how to play it.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Griffin Indiana, 50+ hours and counting AJFarmer is awesome!!!!
Marwell Manor Farm, 520+ hours - Retired...
Osina 600+ hours - Retired...
_________________
My inside source is more awesome than your inside source.
Retired Part Time Key-Board Warrior, Sarcastic Poster.
-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----

BreadedVirus
Posts: 1422
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:10 am
Location: here, there everywhere

Re: what is your Favorite British map?

Post by BreadedVirus » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:58 pm

chedly_farms wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:40 pm
My favorite British map is marwell. I could go into a 6 page explanation why. I have temporarily retired it, until I come up with a new angle on how to play it.
I invested over 1000 hours into Marwell. The best map I’ve ever played in FS.
MasterBox MB500 ATX Mid Tower Case, Asus - PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor , GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB , 24GB RAM, CRYORIG - M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler, 5 Cool Master Jetflo case fans, Samsung 970 Evo plus SSD, 1TB HDD, Win 10, PLAYSTATION 4, T150, T3PA Pro Pedal set, TH8A Shifter
the big print giveth the small print taketh

Post Reply