Me logging after an hour LOL

CaptGoodvibes

Re: Me logging after an hour LOL

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

Since I posted this thread, I have become so much more skilled at picking up and putting down small bunches of logs, I'm now qualified to complain about the botched physics. :lol: :coolnew:
PS4
-----------------------------
I like jumping off the deep end
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

I don’t know if physics is the correct term once you get enough time in... :lol:
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

this thread highlights just how limited consoles are
SimulatedFarmer

Post by SimulatedFarmer »

Crazof wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:49 pm this thread highlights just how limited consoles are
Marginally safer for people like me, though. I get careless.
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

Crazof wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:49 pm this thread highlights just how limited consoles are
Word
PS4
Urinal2001

Post by Urinal2001 »

Currently giving logging another try, but have set myself a 'cheap as possible' rule in order to stop myself falling into my usual trap of buying the biggest baddest machines, and then having no reason for playing.

So... is there some sort of trick to bringing down a tree with a chainsaw? 3/4's of the time i cut through one and it stays standing. The times when it gets snagged on a nearby tree makes perfect sense, and i have no issue with that, but the majority of the time it just slides off the stump and stays upright until i nudge it with a tractor and bucket. What am i doing wrong? Unless im mistaken, we cant cut wedges out like you would in the real world, so im just ripping straight through it at a bit of an angle.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

I cut it at a 45 degree angle to let it slide off the stump. Not sure how much of an incline you're cutting at
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Eische

Post by Eische »

Urinal2001 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:57 pm So... is there some sort of trick to bringing down a tree with a chainsaw? 3/4's of the time i cut through one and it stays standing. The times when it gets snagged on a nearby tree makes perfect sense, and i have no issue with that, but the majority of the time it just slides off the stump and stays upright until i nudge it with a tractor and bucket. What am i doing wrong? Unless im mistaken, we cant cut wedges out like you would in the real world, so im just ripping straight through it at a bit of an angle.
Just cut straight horizontal. Depending on which direction you turned your chainsaw, the tree will always fall down to the left or right.
The tree falls down perpendicular to your view direction. You can use this for example to have a tree fall down in between still standing trees.

You can also crouch down before start cutting the tree so the residual stump is very short.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
Urinal2001

Post by Urinal2001 »

Good info from both of you, thanks. Eische, if thats all correct then it is GREAT to know, dropping them with more precision will be fantastic. Im off to try it now!
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

For anyone who has given up logging, I suggest to try again, if like me, you found that loading was by far the most difficult part. There is the JD Frankenstein Loader, which has straps, however its an expensive end game loader, and its no fun to be able to finally do things decently with only end game equipment. However, the NMC Trailer Loader mod, https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019, is only $15k, and it has loading straps on its grapple, just like the +$400k Frankenstein. This brings a great midgame loader as you would need to attach it to a $150K NMC Griffin trailer. However, NMC raised the bar yet again. The brought out a Modular Trailer, https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019, for $9k which can mount the NMC Modules, such as the NCM Timber Loader. So, for $24K plus a $50 pickup with a gooseneck, you can have awesome loading capability. To me, these two mods are logging game changers.

I hope other logging modders follow suit, and put locking straps on anything with a grapple, because their logging physics doesn't seem to incorporate any friction of material surface whatsoever, so its like trying to pickup oily glass test tubes.
Jonny3355

Post by Jonny3355 »

I find logging on Xbox stressful but fun because of for console atm North modding and catalizer are the best until the day fdr returns to console modding
Xbox one
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

Logging is a good way to make some quick money when I start a map with Seasons IMO.
PS4
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

CaptGoodvibes wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:25 am Logging is a good way to make some quick money when I start a map with Seasons IMO.
Definitely something to help pass the time during winter.
soccerhate

Post by soccerhate »

Mwal wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:46 am
CaptGoodvibes wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:31 am I don't see a yarder on mod hub so will have to keep working the forwarder crane twice...
I believe everything I used except the yarder is on the mod hub for console in some form or another and I didn’t use it to get those logs I just cleared a landing for it for future use. I would highly recommend the fellerbunchers on the hub for over the in game Buffalo articulated processor, it just doesn’t jive well with logs in game all the back and forth makes a mess and flings and flails stuff everywhere if you aren’t using joysticks. The three mods that will make this easy and enjoyable in my opinion are as follows
1: trailer
https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019 You can’t beat a side dumping trailer they are just so quick and easy.
2: Cutter/processor
https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019
The processor on this type of platform is so much better than the scorpion king because you have 360 degrees of unobstructed movement to do anything without worrying about where your engine and rear end are. There always out of the way behind you! If you take your time and pile your trees in neat piles of one tree cut into 2-4 pieces per pile and keep big ends of the logs together and always facing the same general direction that leads to the next and most important tool....
3: log skidder
https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019
The most important tool hands down no one can convince me otherwise. Biggest thing to keep in mind is be gentle and don’t over squeeze, if you lose a couple logs throughout the day big deal that’s normal, if you squeeze them like your making lemonade s**** gonna fly everywhere. First thing is you pull up use your blade to even the ends if they need it, then back up grapple gently and lift then drive like a normal human being to the landing (where you pile and load logs) start to dump the small groups off in line with each other until you have the area filled. Then use your blade to bunch the logs up into a pile and even them out. Continue this until you have enough that you can load trucks. I like to whip the skidder around and use it as a backstop then load the logs with a pay loader. The skidder helps keep the somewhat crazy physics in check.
You can also use one of the two excavators with processor heads, a chainsaw, the Massey Ferguson skidder, or the three point skidder to cheapen the process up
Sorry for necroing it, but here's the thing: apart from the three logging mods you're mentioning, I also absolutely love the mill loader by NMC.

However, I've run into this weird glitch just now - of which I now remember I previously heard - when I start the JD skidder anywhere in relative vicinity of the mill loader, it just goes nuts. It's trying to drive up into midair, turns upside down on the spot, all good things.

I heard prior to the latest update on both the harvester you mention and the mill loader there had been this issue with articulated vehicles next to them, but assumed they were all fixed now. Apparently not. Any idea if there's a workaround this or skidder that works fine along the mill loader? I mean, I absolutely love the JD one by NMC, but just can't use it in combination with the tracked beasts by the very same NMC it seems...

Tried replacing the skidder with their Goliath HKL forwarder - to no avail, alas. There's some good 300 meters to the logging site from the shop yard, but I wasn't even able to drive it out on to the road - just starts flying all over the place... (PS4, Sussex Farms)
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

I dunno, I mostly use fdr mods I personally find them to be much more mouse friendly. I know nmc said something about updating them or did recently. I was just suggesting some console friendly alternatives to what I use