One field with multiple crops?

CaptGoodvibes

One field with multiple crops?

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

Does this type of farming have a name?

Is a gap between crops suggested and if so, how wide?

Thanks!
PS4
-----------------------------
I like jumping off the deep end
Missyb

Re: One field with multiple crops?

Post by Missyb »

Double planting, I think it can be done with only cereal crop's am not 100% sure about it.
!Warning I am dislayxic I will type how i think, if you don't understand any of it then please say!

Mods by Missyb FS22
Mods by MissyB Modding
Twitch Missyb Modding
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

At the same time? No idea in real life but I wouldn’t get em closer than your header width in game or harvesting will be impossible
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

Mwal wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:00 am At the same time? No idea in real life but I wouldn’t get em closer than your header width in game or harvesting will be impossible
Like in different strips as you see on maps boasting of 200+ fields... very close...

I was trying to google info about that type of farming but don’t have the right keywords...
PS4
mike33s

Post by mike33s »

Strip cropping / farming?
https://www.britannica.com/topic/strip-cropping

There is also something popular in the states called contour farming. You'll see it on farms like "How Farms Work"
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I was just going to ask if he meant strip farming haha. It is very common on hilly terrain. I have seen it in galena and in Wisconsin. There might be a small strip of grass between the crops, but a lot of times you don't see it.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

We have a field that we split between corn and beans, and we plant them right next to eachother
EnglishGent

Post by EnglishGent »

I did it accidentally. I was part way through a planting session when I saved, and on restarting I accidentally changed the seed type. I didn't notice until it all started to grow.... Harvesting was easy at it just stopped cutting when it reached the change over point. I didn't think a farmer would do it in real life though, and I've never heard of strip farming until today..
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

CaptGoodvibes wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:48 am Does this type of farming have a name?

Is a gap between crops suggested and if so, how wide?

Thanks!
Are you talking about relay cropping? Where you would plant say, rye, with a wide gap between the rows say in late fall. Then you turn around and in between those rows you would plant corn. The rye then is almost what you would consider a "Cover Crop" Something to aid the weeds from being able to propagate, but you plant the corn at the precise moment so that you can harvest the rye with the header slightly higher than the growing corn crop, and you don't swath the straw. You spread the straw so that it becomes a mulch to keep moisture in the soil to promote growth for the corn and continue to suppress the weeds. I'm seeing a couple guys try it. A few in Nebraska, that irrigate.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

I'm thinking like this. What would you call farming with this layout? I want stripes in my field haha! Cheers!Image
PS4
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Strip farming
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:08 pm Strip farming
To harvest in the game, do I need a gap larger than a couple meters? Also, if I put crops next to each other that use a different header, corn vs cereal, I wonder of I can seed/plant without any gap between strips...
PS4
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Make a test save and try it out
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

Mwal wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:19 pm Make a test save and try it out
Sure but it takes many hours of gameplay to get to a harvest. I wouldn't mind knowing if anyone else has tried it with success. *thumbsup*
PS4
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

New save, plant two strips quickest growth setting and fast forward👍🏻