Frustration with Potatoes...

spincast1123

Frustration with Potatoes...

Post by spincast1123 »

Why is only possible to harvest 4 rows of potatoes per pass? What is it with the planting, removing the tops and harvesting Potatoes that there is no way to mass plant, remove the tops and harvest such small numbers on each pass when I have seen machines that can remove tops and harvest 12 rows per pass. I spent 3 hours removing tops and harvesting 3.02 Ha and have vowed to never grow potatoes again. Wondering if there is a Mod to "Upgrade" and create the 12 row harvester. The same goes for Sugar Beets... 6.22 Ha in 4 hours.... These 2 crops just don't seem to be worth the time and machines cost, even with leasing.
When it is all going sideways... Sidestep it, or go fishing!
playing on PS4
BulletBill

Re: Frustration with Potatoes...

Post by BulletBill »

spincast1123 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:00 pm Why is only possible to harvest 4 rows of potatoes per pass? What is it with the planting, removing the tops and harvesting Potatoes that there is no way to mass plant, remove the tops and harvest such small numbers on each pass when I have seen machines that can remove tops and harvest 12 rows per pass. I spent 3 hours removing tops and harvesting 3.02 Ha and have vowed to never grow potatoes again. Wondering if there is a Mod to "Upgrade" and create the 12 row harvester. The same goes for Sugar Beets... 6.22 Ha in 4 hours.... These 2 crops just don't seem to be worth the time and machines cost, even with leasing.
In real life most potato harvesters are only 4-6 rows, often it's just 2 row trailed ones. This is because of the depth of soil they have to work in and the nature of how the crop is harvested. Just be glad GIANTS haven't done a realistic working speed. In real life it can be as slow as 2mph or even less.

Your 12 row harvesters are extremely rare in the agricultural world.

Also with anything like this, at what point do you completely disregard any realism.

You can modify a combine harvester to harvest the entire map in 1 pass if you want to.

With the game being an endless sandbox game with no end, why be rushing to get the job done? Enjoy the processes of each job and the scenery of the map.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Don’t think I have ever saw a 12 row potato harvester, pretty common in beet harvesters where I’m from. Spudnik or harriston are a lot of the potato equipment where I’m from if ya wanna take a look
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

That’s a six row using windrowers not a twelve row harvester that tops and harvests twelve rows.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Those 2 machines equal 12, but not 1 machine doing everything.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Yeah and I’m not even sure how you would make that work in game without follow me or courseplay and even those would be complicated. They would have to do some serious AI work to have those windrowers work in tandem like that because currently they can hardly run the harvester 😂
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Ha yeah that would be real tough to implement.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
mike33s

Post by mike33s »

In the second video what's the Deere with the row crop duals doing in front of the truck? It runs forward, then reverses back. I'm assuming it is compacting the ground enough that the truck doesn't sink in and get stuck?
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

That’s my guess, the windrowers loosen the ground up so much the trucks get the hops and dig in. He also has a safety pull on as well
JWE75

Post by JWE75 »

Potatoes harvesting/farming is so much harder work in real life (done that) so no complains from here regarding FS. Many machines takes 3 - 4 rows max anyway. And back in the day 1 row and we collected by hands ;)
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

Mwal wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:48 am That’s a six row using windrowers not a twelve row harvester that tops and harvests twelve rows.
Sorry... just snagged them quickly without really check the content. My fault.
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Earnest Pea wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:21 pm
Sorry... just snagged them quickly without really check the content. My fault.
No problem, would be neat to see stuff like that, not terribly long ago there was an article floating around about a potato equipment company from Canada having talks with giants so hopefully it means more equipment to do with root crops in the future. Would love to see spudnik stuff also since they are part of the Grimme group.
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

The link is in this thread: More potato stuff incomming?
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
road_clam

Post by road_clam »

Not only is potatoes only "4 row" , with that minimal rows it's a huge PIA to stay on track of your row. I always play with full driver input (no GPS, no courseplay etc..) and you have to stay SO intently focused on driving the harvester. Once you jump a row, it's very hard to get back to a perfectly clean row. I'll only harvest a potato field if I buy it already planted. There's good money in potatoes but you gotta work some serious long hours for that crop income.