Meaning of Silo Overfill

SimmerLiner
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:05 pm

Meaning of Silo Overfill

Post by SimmerLiner » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:15 pm

Every time I unload a harvest into a silo, it says something like "Start Overfill", even if the silo is empty. :shock:

I've always understood the term overfill to mean filling something beyond its capacity.

Does this mean something else in Farming Simulator 2019? :hmm:

Thanks

-Mike

CaptGoodvibes
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 7:26 pm

Re: Meaning of Silo Overfill

Post by CaptGoodvibes » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:34 pm

"Overfill" is empty what is attached to your vehicle and put contents in the silo or anything you are filling from the source to target when you are operating the source.
PS4
-----------------------------
I like jumping off the deep end

SimmerLiner
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:05 pm

Re: Meaning of Silo Overfill

Post by SimmerLiner » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:59 pm

Thanks CaptGoodvibes

Ok, it's probably just semantics and not a warning.
So if I understanding what you are saying the process is positional. Meaning I'm unloading what is in my tipper by positioning the tipper 'over' the loading grate of the silo, thus 'over' filling. Correct?

CaptGoodvibes
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 7:26 pm

Re: Meaning of Silo Overfill

Post by CaptGoodvibes » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:48 pm

SimmerLiner wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:59 pm
Thanks CaptGoodvibes

Ok, it's probably just semantics and not a warning.
So if I understanding what you are saying the process is positional. Meaning I'm unloading what is in my tipper by positioning the tipper 'over' the loading grate of the silo, thus 'over' filling. Correct?
Something like that. Just remember, if you are emptying anything you are operating, the action is "overfilling"

If you have a bag of seeds on a front loader and you drive to your seeder, you can overfill.

Cheers!
PS4
-----------------------------
I like jumping off the deep end

Daytona
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: Meaning of Silo Overfill

Post by Daytona » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:12 am

Thanks for asking SimmerLiner, it made no sense to me either. Giants need to change the word to fill.

blue_painted
Posts: 614
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: Meaning of Silo Overfill

Post by blue_painted » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:23 am

I've always assumed that it's a mis-translation of a German word or phrase, because in English I'd say it should be "Unload" not "Overload", because the latter means "fill too much".
Playing £300 PC with a £95 graphics card, £15 XBox controller and £65 SSD ... (and sometimes £200 laptop)

raran
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:52 am

Re: Meaning of Silo Overfill

Post by raran » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:10 am

CaptGoodvibes wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:48 pm
SimmerLiner wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:59 pm
Thanks CaptGoodvibes

Ok, it's probably just semantics and not a warning.
So if I understanding what you are saying the process is positional. Meaning I'm unloading what is in my tipper by positioning the tipper 'over' the loading grate of the silo, thus 'over' filling. Correct?
Something like that. Just remember, if you are emptying anything you are operating, the action is "overfilling"

If you have a bag of seeds on a front loader and you drive to your seeder, you can overfill.

Cheers!
Emptying is emptying. Overfilling is filling something past the correct or maximum fill level. I tend to side with bleu_painted and put this away as a bad translation.

SimmerLiner
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:05 pm

Re: Meaning of Silo Overfill

Post by SimmerLiner » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:21 pm

The 'bad translation' scenario seems to fit, doesn't it. :-D

Thanks all for your help and replies.

-Mike

spincast1123
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:14 pm

Re: Meaning of Silo Overfill

Post by spincast1123 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:24 pm

I don't believe it is a "bad translation" rather it is a direct translation. Some languages translate differently and word placement is not like American English. As for Giant changing the words... why do so if the general idea is there and the farmer gets the idea, even if it takes a little time. Giant has other things to do, like testing and developing mods..... or getting the next iteration of the game worked out... There is an old saying... 3 languages - Multilingual....2 languages - Bilingual.... 1 language - American.... Oh, before you get upset, I am an American that speaks only one language....lol...
When it is all going sideways... Sidestep it, or go fishing!
playing on PS4

blue_painted
Posts: 614
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: Meaning of Silo Overfill

Post by blue_painted » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:00 pm

spincast1123 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:24 pm
I don't believe it is a "bad translation" rather it is a direct translation. Some languages translate differently and word placement is not like American English. As for Giant changing the words... why do so if the general idea is there and the farmer gets the idea, even if it takes a little time. Giant has other things to do, like testing and developing mods..... or getting the next iteration of the game worked out... There is an old saying... 3 languages - Multilingual....2 languages - Bilingual.... 1 language - American.... Oh, before you get upset, I am an American that speaks only one language....lol...
That's why I wrote "mis-translation" not "bad-translation" -- probably a technically correct but idiomatically incorrect translation: the thing is, developers seldom do this themselves, there are translation agencies for this purpose ;)
Playing £300 PC with a £95 graphics card, £15 XBox controller and £65 SSD ... (and sometimes £200 laptop)

User avatar
theSeb
Posts: 1230
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:16 pm

Re: Meaning of Silo Overfill

Post by theSeb » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:44 pm

blue_painted wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:23 am
I've always assumed that it's a mis-translation of a German word or phrase, because in English I'd say it should be "Unload" not "Overload", because the latter means "fill too much".
I don’t know why but in farming overloading is a perfectly acceptable word. Overloading wagons/trailers etc is how the industry itself refers to this equipment. I guess because it’s not just unloading but actually can load into another trailer, so they load over the side of? I don’t know and I am making the last bit up.

E.g

https://fliegl-agrartechnik.de/en/produ ... ng-augers/
Last edited by theSeb on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.realismusmodding.com

Knowledge should be shared and open so don't PM me for Seasons support. *thumbsup*

Mwal
Posts: 1456
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Meaning of Silo Overfill

Post by Mwal » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:04 pm

Overload is what the DOT says when they come to write me a ticket for loading side dumps to heavy 😂. I interpreted it the same way as some others have that it’s loading a trailer from the top. But I always question as to what the alternative way was that made them refer to it as anything other than loading. I guess a scraper can underload? Maybe

CaptGoodvibes
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 7:26 pm

Re: Meaning of Silo Overfill

Post by CaptGoodvibes » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:23 am

raran wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:10 am
CaptGoodvibes wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:48 pm
SimmerLiner wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:59 pm
Thanks CaptGoodvibes

Ok, it's probably just semantics and not a warning.
So if I understanding what you are saying the process is positional. Meaning I'm unloading what is in my tipper by positioning the tipper 'over' the loading grate of the silo, thus 'over' filling. Correct?
Something like that. Just remember, if you are emptying anything you are operating, the action is "overfilling"

If you have a bag of seeds on a front loader and you drive to your seeder, you can overfill.

Cheers!
Emptying is emptying. Overfilling is filling something past the correct or maximum fill level. I tend to side with bleu_painted and put this away as a bad translation.
He asked about the term in-game.
PS4
-----------------------------
I like jumping off the deep end

Post Reply