Map editor overhaul for next edition

SimpleFarmer

Map editor overhaul for next edition

Post by SimpleFarmer »

First off: appreciation for current amount of editing possible. Kudos Giants. :hi:
However, after spending several hours trying to get the hang of Giants editor and build my own map, I finally had to give up because it's just way too complicated.
You shouldn't have to be a programmer to build your own map. :gamer: I have a lot of great ideas but couldn't be bothered learning the huge amount of info needed to build it.
This isn't a post to bag on giants tho, it's more of one to explore other ways map making can be made easier; more user friendly. I think the future of FS is allowing everyone to make their own maps and buildings. This post might be a bit uninformed, so feel free to correct me.
First, giants editor should have a blank map available with 0 errors, that would run just fine if opened in game. Just getting off the ground with a map is very difficult. Second, have the editor automatically build the xml scripts needed to run in the game. For example, when I place a building, have the editor let me name it and then transfer it's coords to the xml file when I'm done. Like I said, I know like 1% of what is needed to make a map, but after watching a bunch of YouTube about it, I eventually said, why does this have to be so complicated? With a little bit more programming up front, this wouldn't require me to be a software engineer to use.
I spend hours using the current paint tools and placeables features, and consider myself to be quite good at it, but trying to get a map to even run in the game from giants editor is such a pain, it's not even worth it. Here's to simplification in the future!
What do you think realistic options might be in the next edition? Google Earth to FS with a few simple mouse clicks?
Ritchie

Re: Map editor overhaul for next edition

Post by Ritchie »

I've always seen the landscaping tool as the first step towards a full blown in game map editor/creator. I think we're a long way from getting something to rival GE and blender etc but I can see features added to the current tools to get us closer. One of the key things would be to have a library of placeable objects to choose from right from the start, hedges, fences, buildings and roads etc. And the ability for them to snap together or to a map grid. The current views for placing objects needs to be improved to make it easier to align them.
MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

There aren't many big new brands or types of equipment to add to the game so I would not be surprised if map making is one of the main features in the next game.

It would make the game more interesting in the first few months after release when there aren't many mod maps available.
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

Ritchie wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:54 am One of the key things would be to have a library of placeable objects to choose from right from the start, hedges, fences, buildings and roads etc.
Agreed. I think any object used in any official giants map, such as the vanilla maps, should be available to use from a library in the editor.
I think that the editor is geared towards programmers at the moment, and probably the exact program giants themselves use. I think it should made more for the ordinary gamer with some computer skills, like myself. But then I'd probably spend more time making maps than playing haha
Missyb

Post by Missyb »

SimpleFarmer wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:45 am
First, giants editor should have a blank map available with 0 errors, that would run just fine if opened in game. Just getting off the ground with a map is very difficult.
There is newer maps that have error out there, plus the error was fixed awhile ago.
SimpleFarmer wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:45 am
Second, have the editor automatically build the xml scripts needed to run in the game. For example, when I place a building, have the editor let me name it and then transfer it's coords to the xml file when I'm done.
nothing is plane sailing with doing a map this is the other half making a map, alot map maker do all of the placing of building then do the coding side things last.
SimpleFarmer wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:45 am I spend hours using the current paint tools and placeables features, and consider myself to be quite good at it, but trying to get a map to even run in the game from giants editor is such a pain, it's not even worth it.
this mite down to how your file's or other things have been setup, if need help then reach out to a modder even if its a simple question. Modder will help out, I still need help when debugging a map, mite be something simple to fix try and use log file as much as possible.
!Warning I am dislayxic I will type how i think, if you don't understand any of it then please say!

Mods by Missyb FS22
Mods by MissyB Modding
Twitch Missyb Modding
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Sometimes things take more hard work than you realise. There are no quick fixes, or easy ways to do it.

You just have to learn, make mistakes, learn, and keep on learning.

GIANTS Editor is not a difficult program to learn compared to other programs.

It all comes down to how patient you are. I've noticed a trend with many newer players to the franchise they assume that making a mod or map is straight forward. It is not.

It takes time, dedication, patience and hard work to learn the various programs needed and the skill needed to work those.

I've been modding for 7 years, yet am still learning new stuff even after all that time.

Yes there are improvements that could be made to GE, but what your asking is akin to saying it should be more simple to fly to the moon than it is.

Sometimes things aren't simple...
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
Jimbob0704

Post by Jimbob0704 »

BulletBill wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:34 pm Sometimes things take more hard work than you realise. There are no quick fixes, or easy ways to do it.

You just have to learn, make mistakes, learn, and keep on learning.

GIANTS Editor is not a difficult program to learn compared to other programs.

It all comes down to how patient you are. I've noticed a trend with many newer players to the franchise they assume that making a mod or map is straight forward. It is not.

It takes time, dedication, patience and hard work to learn the various programs needed and the skill needed to work those.

I've been modding for 7 years, yet am still learning new stuff even after all that time.

Yes there are improvements that could be made to GE, but what your asking is akin to saying it should be more simple to fly to the moon than it is.

Bullet bill ive made BallinCraig estate with the landscape tool for my YouTube channel, the reason I’m saying is can I try and make Coldbourough park farm with the landscape tool for youtube ? Being not only your map but also your own farm I totally understand if you prefer I didn’t ...so far I’ve done Tom Pemberton farm and BallinCraig
Owner of YouTube channel FS landscaping
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVa5pA ... kqx5eVXmxw
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Jimbob0704 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:35 pm Bullet bill ive made BallinCraig estate with the landscape tool for my YouTube channel, the reason I’m saying is can I try and make Coldbourough park farm with the landscape tool for youtube ? Being not only your map but also your own farm I totally understand if you prefer I didn’t ...so far I’ve done Tom Pemberton farm and BallinCraig
If all your doing is trying to recreate it ingame then that's fine with me.
The only issue I would ever have is if someone actually took the whole map and tried to release it for Fs19.
Beanbrother

Post by Beanbrother »

Anytime you’re wanting to make your triumphant return bullet, the community will have open arms for you
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

BulletBill wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:34 pm

I was worried this was the answer. I was hoping there was a coding genius at Giants that would create the ultimate excel macro for us all. One that would save me from having to do my homework :)
Back to YouTube Uni for me haha thanks for all the encouragement @missyb
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Beanbrother wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:45 pm Anytime you’re wanting to make your triumphant return bullet, the community will have open arms for you
Not sure if this is meant sarcastically or not.

Either way if that's what you think of me then you don't know me at all.

I'm not part of the group of modders who make and release mods for some petty attention seeking trip and to have cringing fanboy comments. (Not saying yours was, just mean in general.)

I mod because I enjoy creating... Which is why I am still learning to mod better, having just this week finally got to grips with using Blender. (Albeit basic functions so far.)

Fs19 has zero interest to me. It is not about creating something interesting or natural looking, it's about being forced to create maps that conform to GIANTS arcade/console style gameplay.

Fs17 may be dated in certain areas compared to Fs19, but it's far more flexible to mod for, and I don't have to be constrained by some ridiculous gameplay style that GIANTS or parts of the playbase insist on.

For me that is far more enjoyable.
Jimbob0704

Post by Jimbob0704 »

Cheers bulletbill , thought I would ask first
Owner of YouTube channel FS landscaping
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVa5pA ... kqx5eVXmxw
Missyb

Post by Missyb »

SimpleFarmer wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:18 am
Back to YouTube Uni for me haha thanks for all the encouragement @missyb
thats where i start watching shywizard's video i must admit its a steep hill to climb (looking at someone starting from no xml expernce)

You need any help in the further you know where i am.....!!!!!!
!Warning I am dislayxic I will type how i think, if you don't understand any of it then please say!

Mods by Missyb FS22
Mods by MissyB Modding
Twitch Missyb Modding
JamP

Post by JamP »

BulletBill wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:13 pm
Beanbrother wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:45 pm Anytime you’re wanting to make your triumphant return bullet, the community will have open arms for you
Not sure if this is meant sarcastically or not.
I believe he just said we missed you at fs19. Your work has always been appreciated..

Take the compliment.
Playing on Xbox
Stream on Twitch

From no man's land... Oh, Brazil!

Giants Image Server
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

GE does need a thorough overhaul -- there's so much of the standard Windows UI/UX that's just missing: the scengraph tree-view needs drag-and-drop, fully implemented context menu. There's hidden features, like copy+pasting three co-ordinates at once that need surfacing in the UI. Most importantly, it needs to provide a second root to the scenegraph for the "new farmer" mode placeables, so that you don't end up with the duplicated assets where, for instance, the buildings are in the main map AND in a placeable -- look at Marwell to see what I mean. The export function could do with tidyingup, so that it does only take the used assets, leaving behind unused textures and sounds etc.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads