How do you farm?

bossmanslim

How do you farm?

Post by bossmanslim » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:22 pm

As the game has been out a while and the mods are fairly well developed I thought it would be good to put out a thread so people can post how they play the game. I think this would also be helpful to the devs.

Map styles I play:
  • Needs to have some roll to it and not be completely flat. Midwest Horizon is the flattest map I am willing to play on. I also prefer to have some hilliness in the "surround effect" that is outside the map boarder.
  • Needs to have some trees on it.
  • As I become more comfortable to Giants Editor, I will remove excess junk, fences and other decorations that are in the way. If the map creator is organized, this takes about 30 minutes to go in and delete stuff.
Equipment edits I make and why
  • I adjust trailer and bale capacity to be about 2x to 3x the base game. This is because the game does not support trucking between two locations, unloading combines or helpers performing animal feeding.
  • I have edited a couple of cultivators to be subsoilers because that is the function they are closer to IRL. Also, the game is lacking in chisel plows and no-till equipment.
  • I adjust planter, not seeders, seed capacity to be 2.5x base because the planter seed feed rate is wrong
  • I adjust corn (grain) sell value to more in line with the hours required to work the crop and to be more inline with the IRL ratio of the crops.
  • I adjust the speed limit on sprayers and spreaders to be 25 kph as I don't really like spraying and spreading
  • I remapped the sounds for some equipment.
Non-cosmetic mods I always play with and why
  • Seasons because it makes the map have some variance and it has some other items I like such as animal pen water pumps
  • Courseplay and follow me because the helper is not good enough
  • GPS because it exists in IRL and makes the game more enjoyable
  • Placable purchase stations for fert, lime, seed, fuel, etc.
  • Autoload trailers because the log, pallet and bale physics are infuriating at times. Also the helper cannot perform these tasks.
  • Workshop tabber, should have been in base game
  • Variable spray rates because of seasons 3x fertilizer pass requirement.
  • Dev tools for faster FF during boring parts of seasons.