Tire width a factor in pulling equipment?

Richard Dower

Tire width a factor in pulling equipment?

Post by Richard Dower »

Does tire width have any bearing on how equipment is pulled on inclines of hills in FS19?, does tire width effect torque or traction when hauling crops etc ?

Has anyone tested this ?
theSeb

Re: Tire width a factor in pulling equipment?

Post by theSeb »

No difference as far as I am aware.

Below - same tractor with normal, wide and twins. Take note of the friction and lateral slip values. They remain the same no matter what wheel configuration you have.

fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Duals and wide tires on tractors are more for flotation to reduce soil compaction rather than traction. Of course, they can help with traction IRL but that's usually a secondary reason for having them.

In some cases, depending on the soil composition, a single or narrow tire might actually provide more traction than a dual since there is more ground pressure/friction.

So in game, I base my tire choice on what jobs the tractor will be doing.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
3rd pedal

Post by 3rd pedal »

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XUy48pcljkU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

cant figure how to paste the video in the youtube url lol :hi:
i saw the video other day but hadnt test on my save yet but pretty much it do have some effect on torque pulling
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

You just need the id of the video XUy48pcljkU and embed it into [youtube] links

theSeb

Post by theSeb »

fenixguy wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:58 pm Duals and wide tires on tractors are more for flotation to reduce soil compaction rather than traction. Of course, they can help with traction IRL but that's usually a secondary reason for having them.

In some cases, depending on the soil composition, a single or narrow tire might actually provide more traction than a dual since there is more ground pressure/friction.

So in game, I base my tire choice on what jobs the tractor will be doing.
That does not matter. The increased contact patch should increase the friction. I was genuinely surprised to see that it does not.
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019 Added Realism for Vehicles mod absolutely takes tire width into consideration. If you run narrows while trying to do field work with a heavy implement, you will suffer in performance greatly, and well worth the money to upgrade to duals or wides with weights. And if you add https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019 Filltype Mass Adjustments, in combined with Realism for Vehicles, its quite a brutal and far more realistic experience. In fact I'm disabling Mass Adjustments for one year, because I'm tired of seeing my 452HP Grain Cart Tractor go 10mph on huge fields...
Kimpak

Post by Kimpak »

Even in base game, it does matter. Duals all around are best. Wide is only slightly better than standard. Narrows are worse than standard, but dual narrows are better than wide.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Kimpak wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:34 pm Even in base game, it does matter. Duals all around are best. Wide is only slightly better than standard. Narrows are worse than standard, but dual narrows are better than wide.
I’ve just shown with screenshots that it makes no difference at all
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

The friction value may stay the same however the weight(mass) is different thus changing the traction.

The maximum permissible traction or force that can be applied to the wheels is governed by two things: the weight of the vehicle and the adhesion coefficient( friction) between the tire and the (road)surface.

or at least this is how it works in the real world, in game I don't know.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

The mass does indeed change but since the friction isn’t changing I don’t believe it’s having an effect.
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

It all depends on how they are calculating it. Did they go full bore engineering principles with it or come up with Giants software method.
Kimpak

Post by Kimpak »

theSeb wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:39 pm
Kimpak wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:34 pm Even in base game, it does matter. Duals all around are best. Wide is only slightly better than standard. Narrows are worse than standard, but dual narrows are better than wide.
I’ve just shown with screenshots that it makes no difference at all
Check out the video posted above. They tested all the tire types with pulling things up a ramp, with and without snow. They definitely have an effect.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Looks like I need to do some more digging
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

If you're using the REA mod (on PC) the effect are very obvious.
On vanilla I think there's an advantage to wider/more wheels, but not so prominent.
All the above observations are mine and anectodal.