Could these new consoles close the gap with PC gaming?

szechla

Re: Could these new consoles close the gap with PC gaming?

Post by szechla »

theSeb wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:12 pm Prices seem to be $300 for the baby Xbox and $500 for the X. You can’t beat that for value with a PC considering what you get. I’ll stick to the PC though. I’ve sold all my consoles.
The sad true is that $500 will barely get you a decent GPU these days, not to mention other hardware needed for gaming PC
So no, consoles will never outperform a good gaming PC, but there are a very good compromise between performance, price and ease of use
Airborne82nd

Post by Airborne82nd »

george.earlslight wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:39 am
Airborne82nd wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:48 am In short, these new console machines seem like monsters. Would there even be a difference in this game on next gen consoles between both consoles and pc?

Would modders and devs still be under constraints on the new consoles as they are now?
Will we see any relative differences between the two platforms on future FS?
This only depends on what Giants would do, not what the consoles are capable of.
Giants could make FS19 or FS17 be exactly the same on PC and console.
They decided, to their credit, to make the PC version as best as they could and limit whatever feature was too much for consoles.

Next gen consoles will be more powerful, but also PCs at the same period.
They will not have the same potential power, it's unlikely they will ever have.

So the question here really is, will Giants develop the game based on console or PC capabilties?
Well i think most of us may agree, Giants is not going to work on a game to make it more compatible to a 4,000 dollar PC, even if that capability on PC is available. Different folks have different PCs with different specs. Some may have PCs stronger than the new next gen specs, many will not.

Given that, and given the makeup of these new consoles being as powerful as say a decent more common PC, one would think there would not be as many limitations. But as you and others have said, it depends what they want to do, and how they want to make the game.

I should say given that however, after posting this OP i found out (don't know if it's been founded), that Giants is taking an extra year to develop the new game, particularly for the reason of this question in wanting to know how the next gen consoles could actually perform, and so, i guess that would answer this OP if true. Thanks for the responses.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Run of the mill from what I have seen is around 1000 dollars. I think the idea of the delay has to do with next gen consoles being released at the same time as the game usually was. Consoles catch up with an low end to average pc every time they release a new one but are quickly left behind as are PCs that aren’t upgraded. Console never will catch or surpass pc because they aren’t intended to. They are supposed to be a cheap stable alternative to pc for a casual or average gamer.
sittinhere

Post by sittinhere »

Mwal wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:04 pm
ThatGuyJonathan wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:56 pm
There's more consoles players then PC players for Farming Simulator 19. just think about that for a minute. :coolnew: :lol: :search:
This is probably true but think about the fact for a minute that the game on console will only be as good as the worst console allows. There more than likely won’t be any better options on the more expensive console it will just look better and load faster but last generation it was already stated that they wouldn’t accept games that couldn’t be played on both the upgraded and original system
That last statement regarding the last gen and games working on last gen and new consoles is incorrect. That statement is only true for Xbox first party titles to work across the Xbox family of consoles. And this at times won’t happen if it can’t be done. Third party titles have no restrictions and can develop only for next gen if they want. Third party devs can also do smart delivery
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

sittinhere wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:56 am
That last statement regarding the last gen and games working on last gen and new consoles is incorrect. That statement is only true for Xbox first party titles to work across the Xbox family of consoles. And this at times won’t happen if it can’t be done. Third party titles have no restrictions and can develop only for next gen if they want. Third party devs can also do smart delivery
I said the more expensive consoles as in the PS4 to PS4 pro and the Xbox one to Xbox one X as in reference to an upgraded console not really giving you much more than a graphic upgrade that wasn’t even really pushed to its potential for many games.
malachi6

Post by malachi6 »

theSeb wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:29 pm
fenixguy wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:27 pm Start saving up now and get a PC. All this will be a non-issue.

But no, consoles will never close the gap since they are always going to be using outdated hardware. The trade off is ease of use.
This statement ignores proprietary SSD hardware on new consoles. Where, unless buying a new-gen GPU and motherboard, PC's for the first time, will be the bottleneck in gaming.
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

Airborne82nd wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:48 am Sincere question. And i suppose i could post this on any game, but the Devs do tend to respond when i post matters like this.

In short, these new console machines seem like monsters. Would there even be a difference in this game on next gen consoles between both consoles and pc?

Seemingly, you can play with a k&m even on current Xbox. And the power of the machines i would think could handle 4x or 6x maps.

Would modders and devs still be under constraints on the new consoles as they are now?

Will we see any relative differences between the two platforms on future FS?

I'm not a techie, but would ask if the Devs have read over the new specs, have tinkered around with it, and what it all means for the future of FS?
They probably already have and we can just sit her and speculate as much we want, because it's way to early to give any conclusion.
What we see is what we get when Giants announce it.
drinking beer when I'm scripting...sure it helps :lol:
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

People who go on about consoles always having outdated hardware and always being behind the curve in terms of performance aren't really seeing the whole picture. Consoles are incredibly well optimised. Its why a 7 year old console - the PS4 - can play a game that looks as good as The Last of Us 2. Games do have to be optimised for console though and Farming Simulator will always be made for PC and ported to console.

To answer the OP's question. The two new consoles will undoubtably close the gap between the PC and console versions of the game, at least initially. So from a purely visual point of view I would expect little difference between the console and PC versions of FS-22. In terms of a general gaming experience with FS there will always be a gap though because all the great mods that require scrips and the use of a keyboard, course play, follow me etc, will never come to console. At least not in their current form. Then there's the issue of non licensed vehicle mods never making their way onto console either.

If you want the 'full' FS experience the PC version will always be were its at.
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

Mobias wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:27 pm In terms of a general gaming experience with FS there will always be a gap though because all the great mods that require scrips and the use of a keyboard, course play, follow me etc, will never come to console. At least not in their current form. Then there's the issue of non licensed vehicle mods never making their way onto console either.

If you want the 'full' FS experience the PC version will always be were its at.
Valid points there.
Mod experience will be different in in PC vs Console, unless Giants decides to shoot themselves on the foot and disable non-modhub mods.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

george.earlslight wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:55 am Mod experience will be different in in PC vs Console, unless Giants decides to shoot themselves on the foot and disable non-modhub mods.
How could mod makers make mods if you can't use mods outside of ModHub?
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

this_is_gav wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:59 am How could mod makers make mods if you can't use mods outside of ModHub?
Lock mod under development on modder's hardware.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Mobias wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:27 pm People who go on about consoles always having outdated hardware and always being behind the curve in terms of performance aren't really seeing the whole picture. Consoles are incredibly well optimised. Its why a 7 year old console - the PS4 - can play a game that looks as good as The Last of Us 2. Games do have to be optimised for console though and Farming Simulator will always be made for PC and ported to console.
I agree with this. Some people seem to think Consoles are weak when they're not. If you look at some of the games on console, such as GTA, The Witcher, RDR2 to name a few, you see what consoles are capable of if the game has good, optimized development. Consider the size of the map in The Crew games, and you see what is possible.

Don't worry, I'm not dissing Giants, I'm sure they're doing the best they can with the knowledge and experience they have. But, given more knowledge and experience, we can see that consoles can keep up with most PCs (minus the high-end computers that people choose to build for themselves)
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

george.earlslight wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:24 pm Lock mod under development on modder's hardware.
So what about collaborated projects and mod testers? I don't mean the "exclusive tester benefit Patreon, but dedicated mod test teams, like some decent modders have.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

FarmBoss wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:52 pm
Don't worry, I'm not dissing Giants, I'm sure they're doing the best they can with the knowledge and experience they have. But, given more knowledge and experience, we can see that consoles can keep up with most PCs (minus the high-end computers that people choose to build for themselves)
It’s not knowledge, it’s money. Your comparison likens multi billion dollar companies to a pretty small game developer. Grand theft auto five likely out sold every version of farming simulator combined. Couple that with some of the different ways they have to design there map to work properly then it almost turns the question the other way back to the bigger companies, how is this all we got with the resources you have available?
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

FarmBoss wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:52 pm
Mobias wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:27 pm People who go on about consoles always having outdated hardware and always being behind the curve in terms of performance aren't really seeing the whole picture. Consoles are incredibly well optimised. Its why a 7 year old console - the PS4 - can play a game that looks as good as The Last of Us 2. Games do have to be optimised for console though and Farming Simulator will always be made for PC and ported to console.
I agree with this. Some people seem to think Consoles are weak when they're not. If you look at some of the games on console, such as GTA, The Witcher, RDR2 to name a few, you see what consoles are capable of if the game has good, optimized development. Consider the size of the map in The Crew games, and you see what is possible.

Sure, but if you see games like GTA and RDR2 on high spec PCs, you will see just how limited the console experience is. Granted I am talking about around £3000+ PCs here. When you consider that it's well worth it to get a console.