Could these new consoles close the gap with PC gaming?

Airborne82nd

Could these new consoles close the gap with PC gaming?

Post by Airborne82nd »

Sincere question. And i suppose i could post this on any game, but the Devs do tend to respond when i post matters like this.

In short, these new console machines seem like monsters. Would there even be a difference in this game on next gen consoles between both consoles and pc?

Seemingly, you can play with a k&m even on current Xbox. And the power of the machines i would think could handle 4x or 6x maps.

Would modders and devs still be under constraints on the new consoles as they are now?

Will we see any relative differences between the two platforms on future FS?

I'm not a techie, but would ask if the Devs have read over the new specs, have tinkered around with it, and what it all means for the future of FS?
Illinois Farmer

Re: Could these new consoles close the gap with PC gaming?

Post by Illinois Farmer »

No one knows yet. Also sony and Microsoft could set the same restrictions as there is now. No one knows.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

4x maps not working on console was never attributed to the power or lack of in consoles. It simply generates an error that so far nobody has been able to fix
Playing on PC and PS4
Beanbrother

Post by Beanbrother »

Do map makers ever map a 3x map? Or is that not. Thing? Being a console guy 2x sometimes seems small but 4x seems like a monster
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Beanbrother wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:49 am Do map makers ever map a 3x map? Or is that not. Thing? Being a console guy 2x sometimes seems small but 4x seems like a monster
16x are massive
CMDRTAKEDOWN

Post by CMDRTAKEDOWN »

Can only make square maps.
1X= 2 km,2 km, 1 map
4X= 4 km,4 km, 2 maps across and up
9X= 6 km,6 km, 3 maps across and up
16X= 8 km,8 km 4 maps across and up
25X= 10 km,10 km 5 maps across and up and so on.
PS4
PS5
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Airborne82nd wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:48 amIn short, these new console machines seem like monsters. Would there even be a difference in this game on next gen consoles between both consoles and pc?
While the next gen consoles will have better access to the "bare metal" components, it's worth remembering that the tech behind them will already be a generation old by the time they are released too.

The CPU is based on a Zen 2 CPU (Ryzen 3000 series) while AMD is announcing Zen 3 (Ryzen 4000 series) in October.

The GPU also a step behind in one regard; the headline specs of the XBox Series X GPU has it roughly similar to the Nvidia RTX 2080 Super from Nvidia, with the PS5's GPU at around the level of the RTX 2080 non-Super, but Nvidia are about to release the RTX 3000 series. AMD themselves are also announcing their own RDNA 2 cards next month, which will probably be very similar in architecture to the next gen consoles but with the top cards probably higher spec than the ones in the Xbox Series X and PS5 (even if only down to improved yields and efficiency improvements over the last few months).

I emphasise the word "headline" in the paragraph above as that only refers to the teraflops measurement, while numerous other factors are involved in the raw performance and that varies with how developers approach different features. For example AMD's own Radeon RX Vega 64 is capable of 12.66 TFLOPS while their Radeon RX 5700 is generally faster at most resolutions despite only being capable of 7.46 TFLOPS.

Of course, I'm only talking about the top tier consoles, with Microsoft already announcing the cheaper and slower Xbox Series S two days ago, though of course there will also be slower and older PC equivalents too.

Airborne82nd wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:48 amWould modders and devs still be under constraints on the new consoles as they are now?
I'd be very surprised if they weren't. Of course the next game (presumably FS22) will introduce new features that hopefully modders can further exploit, but GIANTS will almost certainly still have their hands tied regarding external script support for modders, which is presumably what you're referring to and there definitely won't be any brands for which there aren't licenses.

External scripts aren't allowed on current gen, not for performance reasons, but because they can potentially be a security issue and mainly to provide a smooth and consistent gaming experience. Even on top end PCs scripts can grind FS to a halt and for reasons which should be obvious neither Microsoft nor Sony want that.

It remains to be seen how mod space limits and slot counts are approached on the next gen. GIANTS can, in theory, adapt FS19 to improve slot count numbers and boost the graphics settings such as viewing distances, but 4GB of mod space is very generous when looking at it from Microsoft/Sony's point of view, and I wouldn't expect that to change for FS19.

For FS22 who knows. There will probably still be mod space restrictions (perhaps expandable storage could boost it if that's supported) and certainly slot counts of sorts, but there's no point in speculating how much as it depends on numerous factors (polygon count, texture usage, and mainly how much headroom remains from the core game). GIANTS certainly won't speculate on that as they won't know themselves until much closer to release.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Start saving up now and get a PC. All this will be a non-issue.

But no, consoles will never close the gap since they are always going to be using outdated hardware. The trade off is ease of use.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

fenixguy wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:27 pm Start saving up now and get a PC. All this will be a non-issue.

But no, consoles will never close the gap since they are always going to be using outdated hardware. The trade off is ease of use.
I reckon if people put as much effort into making money as they do into trying to find a way around the bale limit, they probably could get a decent PC. :lol:
ThatGuyJonathan

Post by ThatGuyJonathan »

fenixguy wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:27 pm Start saving up now and get a PC. All this will be a non-issue.

There's more consoles players then PC players for Farming Simulator 19. just think about that for a minute. :coolnew: :lol: :search:
:lol: :gamer:
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

ThatGuyJonathan wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:56 pm There's more consoles players then PC players for Farming Simulator 19. just think about that for a minute. :coolnew: :lol: :search:
Source?

I'm not doubting you (you're probably right) but GIANTS don't publish sales figures.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

this_is_gav wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:05 pm
ThatGuyJonathan wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:56 pm There's more consoles players then PC players for Farming Simulator 19. just think about that for a minute. :coolnew: :lol: :search:
Source?

I'm not doubting you (you're probably right) but GIANTS don't publish sales figures.
A while back we did find some numbers on a game business site that showed it was roughly the same between consoles and Pc for 17. No clue on the numbers for 19.

But back to what you quoted. Not sure what there is to think about other than it’s not surprise that more people use the cheaper and more convenient option to play games, just like it’s no surprise that cheap cars sell more units than expensive cars. Both will get you from A to B
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

FWIW, I went from PC to console just because at the time, it made the most sense for me. I just turn it on and go. I was fully aware of the limitations and haven't been bothered by them.

However, I'm in a much better financial situation in my life at the moment. If I continue to play video games (if... yeah, right) my next platform will certainly be a PC.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

I though i seen some quotes on prices for the new consoles and the seem to be more expensive than what a half decent CPU to run this game will cost. For me, that's going to be the sales pitch for me. Which way to go is cheaper for me? If the new console runs 600+, I'm looking at a PC.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Prices seem to be $300 for the baby Xbox and $500 for the X. You can’t beat that for value with a PC considering what you get. I’ll stick to the PC though. I’ve sold all my consoles.