Inquiring Minds Want to Know!

chedly_farms

Inquiring Minds Want to Know!

Post by chedly_farms » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:56 pm

There are questions as old as time itself. "What came first....the chicken or the egg?" or "Why did the chicken cross the road?" By the way, why are all these deep unanswerable questions about chickens? And why is the game where two people drive head on towards each other with the intent of making the other person swerve first, called "chicken"? Back on track....back on track.....focus...... Ok. The reason for the thread. I see on here every few weeks, threads like "I'm switching to the dark side" or more simply "I'm switching from console to PC" Basically it is implied that PC has a better Farming Simulator gaming experience than console users do. And there is that negative stereotype that all console users do is beg for mods. I personally have admitted to myself quite some time ago, that PC do have more freedoms and possibly have a better gaming experience with the FS franchise than console users do. Now to get to the question at hand, are there any benefits or "pros" that console players have over PC players. One thing I have heard is that for us console users, the mods are more reliable. Meaning, very rarely do we get a game breaking mod pass through testing. Which to me is pretty big. Who wants to play for 200 hrs on a save only to load a new mod and ruin it all, if that can even happen. What are everyone else thoughts?
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Osina, 200+ hours
Stone Valley x2, 1 1/2 hours
Marwell Manor Farm, 520 + hours - Retired.....

Dixie Farmer

Re: Inquiring Minds Want to Know!

Post by Dixie Farmer » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:58 pm

The egg came first

Goose66

Post by Goose66 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:15 pm

I started off on console before switching on advice of a friend. Personally there are no benefits for console over PC.
Never had anything near game breaking. Just some odd mods that don't work well with others etc. Easy delete.
Playing on PC....Hollandscheveld maizeplus map
Suffolk, England
Discord ...Goose66

fenixguy

Post by fenixguy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:35 pm

I've played FS on both. Here are my personal thoughts. Remember kids, these are only my own opinions. Don't hate me because they're different than yours.

PC
Pros:
-Access to any mod you want.
-Edit the map or a mod to suit you.
-A lot of "quality of life" mods like GPS, courseplay, better AI (at least in the versions I played)
-Unlicensed brands
-Better graphics (with the right machine)
-Ability to tweak mods for your own personal use.
-Ability to backup savegames and edit game files.

Cons:
-Higher initial cost.
-Spend more time looking for, tweaking, and testing mods than playing the game. (in my experience, for every 10 mods you download maybe 1 of them is worth keeping. Most are garbage.)
-Potentially spend time trouble-shooting PC problems (maybe not, in my case I did). You'll need to be decently tech-savvy.

Console
Pros:
-Less expensive
-Plug and play
-Great for the casual gamer or those with limited time.
-Spend more time actually playing the game (this is the big one for me. I've enjoyed FS17 and 19 way more than I ever did the others on PC)
-The mods are decently vetted. At least you won't get a virus and there is less chance of a mod conflict.

Cons:
-Licensed brands only
-Limited map size (although this has never been an issue for me, I know it is for some)
-Limited frame rate
-Graphics
-The slot system
-Mod folder size
-You're stuck (sometimes literally) with the vanilla AI :lol:
-Although our modding community is truly outstanding, you're stuck with what someone else comes up with. No potential to edit and tweak things to your liking.

If I were in the market for another gaming machine, I'd go PC in a heartbeat. I'm on console because it made the most sense at the time and I used to have friends to play other games online with. :lol:
Raising corn and soybeans in Stone Valley.

Mwal

Post by Mwal » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:42 pm

I love my console. I play all my games on it..... except this one, if that says anything.

GrimGandalf

Post by GrimGandalf » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:50 pm

I have it on both and have played it a lot on both. I mainly play now on console because I play with one friend in multiplayer a lot. For me the experience Of all the mods on pc is fantastic! The maps on PC are fantastic! However, on PC I found myself for hours on end just searching for mods and not really enjoying the game like I should be. I can’t really explain why either. I would start playing on PC again if my buddy got one, but for now I’m completely happy with console. The only thing I really miss is the global company mods. Would love Giants to give that to console users.
PS4 & PC Video Game Farmer

fenixguy

Post by fenixguy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:53 pm

chedly_farms wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:56 pm
One thing I have heard is that for us console users, the mods are more reliable. Meaning, very rarely do we get a game breaking mod pass through testing. Which to me is pretty big. Who wants to play for 200 hrs on a save only to load a new mod and ruin it all, if that can even happen. What are everyone else thoughts?
While I did mention that as a "pro" in my above post, I would like to reiterate that as long as you stick with reputable sites, you *probably* won't have a problem. And if you do, your 200 hour save should be backed up on your hard drive anyway so you can revert if you need to.

I had that happen once with FS2011. I downloaded an innocent looking seed drill. It corrupted my save. That's when I learned about backups!

Crazof

Post by Crazof » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:55 pm

I sit in front of a PC all day here at work, at a desk, in an upright desk chair etc.. you get my point.

when "farming" I'm home in a leather reclining chair tipped back with my feet up and the PS4 controller looking at a TV that is larger than both my work computer monitors combined. I'm playing a game, not working.

The reduced amount of mods for console is also a minor plus for me, sometimes I still manage to spend way more time downloading and testing how mods work than actually farming, given a PC I'd mod myself to death and likely never actually farm in game again.

fenixguy

Post by fenixguy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:05 pm

Crazof wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:55 pm
I sit in front of a PC all day here at work, at a desk, in an upright desk chair etc.. you get my point.

when "farming" I'm home in a leather reclining chair tipped back with my feet up and the PS4 controller looking at a TV that is larger than both my work computer monitors combined. I'm playing a game, not working.
I'm in the same boat (being on a PC all day), but I played FS on PC hooked to the TV with an Xbox controller.

Bobble2020

Post by Bobble2020 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:29 pm

I play regularly on my pc , I love the game now i have a decent one that allows me to have all the settings at max , I restrict myself to only installing Giants downloads and avoid other mods , I used to download other maps at one time but then realised i was going round from one to the other and not really getting any long play times on any of them and the equipment i found i had plenty to do what i wanted in the game without mods

Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:40 am

I am extremely happy I made the switch to pc. I can finally farm the way I want to on bigger maps. I only use american mods so I only check one Facebook page that updates from only american modders, so I don't spend a lot of time looking for mods. I hardly use the modhub anymore unless it is for a certain mod like siid's 20s series. I play on my pc the same way as my Xbox. They are both plugged until the same TV with an Xbox controller while I lay on the couch. Also like mwal this and age of the empires are the only games I play on my pc.
1280 acre farm, 3000 hogs, 200 cattle, 16 ewes,1 ram, 30 lambs, and xbox one user and newly pc user.

chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:23 am

Thanks for the serious input, everyone so far. I see a common response of spending more time looking for mods rather than playing. I feel I would fall victim to that as I almost do it to much even on console. Interesting. I might drive myself crazy on a never ending mod hunt.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Osina, 200+ hours
Stone Valley x2, 1 1/2 hours
Marwell Manor Farm, 520 + hours - Retired.....

Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:30 am

I'd also say that on my xbox I do like the idea of less potential for mod conflicts, though I do lament the cap on mod storage space. To be honest, with the computers I don't really know anything about LUA scripting or the other technical stuff, so I'm just as happy on my console for simplicity's sake.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. Mention this ad for a special discount on select purchases from me.

Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:14 am

I haven't had any mod conflicts, but I don't download 3rd party mods or have a million of different scripts.
1280 acre farm, 3000 hogs, 200 cattle, 16 ewes,1 ram, 30 lambs, and xbox one user and newly pc user.

norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:33 am

chedly_farms wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:23 am
Thanks for the serious input, everyone so far. I see a common response of spending more time looking for mods rather than playing. I feel I would fall victim to that as I almost do it to much even on console. Interesting. I might drive myself crazy on a never ending mod hunt.
If that would be the case don't ever go near Giants Editor it can become addictive :lol: