FS22 Rennebu WIP

olahaldor

Re: [Video] Rennebu map WIP presentation

Post by olahaldor »

I don’t know about overriding income factors. And it’s a bit early to talk about land value/prices. Haven’t thought about this part yet. :) Likely won’t until assets are in.
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

This is a typical Norwegian scenario; baling in steep terrain.

How many of you use AutoDrive, and/or Courseplay?
While I'm testing this, it's clear the default AI can't cope with these fields, so I think Courseplay would become mandatory if you rely on AI when you play. :geeknew:

olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

It's been a long while since I last posted something here about my map. It's slow process since I'm the sole dev on this, and I've been searching for help for 8 months. The help I'm looking for is modeling buildings. There's very many houses, barns, sheds etc. that needs to be done, if the map is to be realized as close to reality as possible. :)

So all while that's going slow, I've been sidetracked with a steady job (finally, after 9 months laid off due to covid), and I've made my first mod which I submit to ModHub this weekend, and I've been poking my nose into modeling and modding tractors and implements to get a break from the tedious tasks of making a map, and exploring other parts of FS19 modding. Crossing fingers the mod I submit is greenlit, so I can focus on the map again. :)
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

The map is looking great. I hope that you finish it. I've been looking forward to it since reallogger showed me the video.
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

I started looking at how to use the buildingShader and window shaders yesterday. I've made some significant progress and now understand more of what and how.
I've landed the idea of putting the animal dealer in a location close to the main road, one of the bridges, and almost in the center of the map.

In real life there's a couple houses there, and they'll stay where they are. The animal dealer is actually a community hall, venue for christmas parties and other celebrations. In my map however, the building will be where you back your trailer in to reach the trigger to buy animals.

During a stream tonight I roughly blocked the buildings and decided to try to make the easiest building there a little nicer to watch. Glad I did. SO excited to continue now that I'm so satisfied with the outcome!

GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

It's a beautiful map, m8. Can't wait to give it a try when it releases. Though, to be honest with you... when it switched from the real life presentation over to LS19 version of the playable map I frowned and teared up a bit. I was in awe looking at the scenery, the place you grew up is gorgeous! :hi:
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
Doc3d

Post by Doc3d »

I’ll keep my eye on this. Not exactly my home-turf, but the closest so far. I know map making is tedious work, and I’m glad you’re able to power through. Please don’t fall for the temptation of using generic buildings, they will stick out like a sore thumb in a Norwegian map. Let me know if you want some honest and constructive views

Great work so far! 👍😊
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

Thank you all! :)
Doc3d wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:10 am Please don’t fall for the temptation of using generic buildings, they will stick out like a sore thumb in a Norwegian map.
Trust me, there won't be a single generic building except for what you find in the shop :)

I have however started to think I should leave some farms open for players to build their own farms with a given set of buildings I create which would be available through the shop. I don't know how to do that yet, it's part of the process. But it would take away a hefty workload if I can make 20 buildings instead of 100+ which would be static with no function. :biggrin2:
Eische

Post by Eische »

olahaldor wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:51 am Thank you all! :)

Trust me, there won't be a single generic building except for what you find in the shop :)

I have however started to think I should leave some farms open for players to build their own farms with a given set of buildings I create which would be available through the shop. I don't know how to do that yet, it's part of the process. But it would take away a hefty workload if I can make 20 buildings instead of 100+ which would be static with no function. :biggrin2:
The process is quite simple:
- put them all in a folder
- link the xml files as <storeitems> in the modDesc
You could check No Mans Land as reference as Alien Jim has included an awesome amount of placeables of all kinds:
https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... _id=157011

Based on the pictures, the map looks beautiful already!
I agree with you about the other farms. It might be nice in MP to have predefined farms. But if the buildings can not be sold, it blocks the players from creating their dream farms.
For me as a solo player, additional farms give nothing. They are just empty places. On some maps I added selling stations to these to roleplay that for example I deliver hay or grain to an other farmer. But it still does not feel right.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

Thanks Eische, good input! :)

Finished one of the houses in the newly made area yesterday.

And on stream last night I added about 5500 trees and placed a narrow dirt road to the top.
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

A few things have been added or changed since I last wrote here. :)
I've tested using texture arrays but quickly figured it'll be more stress to handle than just using unique trim sheets for specific kinds of buildings.
Thus, I've learned how to utilize the buildingShader, and it gives so much more life to the buildings this way.

I have also been back to Rennebu for a weekend to do more drone survey and research of areas I didn't get to cover last year, so I have a lot of footage and photos to create 3D scans of, for future building development.

The PDA as it currently stands as of June 2021

First of all, fixed an intersection which turned out to be half the size of what it should be.

Much better when it was done!

This area becomes the animal dealer (you can barely see the barn to the lower left which is where you back in the trailer and buy animals)

One more from the animal dealer area.

Multi Terrain Angles are in.

Spent some time creating a procedural system for making road barriers. Makes it much faster and easier for me to create all the barriers with relatively few clicks.

Farmer Cop did a presentation/map tour live on YouTube last week which was quite fun!
Eische

Post by Eische »

I completely underestimated the size of the map. This looks brilliant. Stunning views, great field layout and manageable sizes for such a large map.
Can't wait to give it a try. Even if you might not finish it for FS19, this map will be on top of my list.

Let me know, if you need someone to test it :mrgreen:
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

Thanks Eische :) The map truly is more than big enough for you and a few friends to get to work. And it probably feels bigger with the scenic views everywhere you look. :)

I'll let everyone know if or when I need more hands on deck to find bugs and issues which needs to be fixed before release. :)
ProfessorRekyl

Post by ProfessorRekyl »

I had to signup here just to tell you how much I am looking forward to playing your map! It looks outstanding. Keep it up!
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

Thanks Rekyl! :D

The FarmSim Guy also did a video which launched yesterday!